Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For any of you still looking to get your boat in the water I took mine out to Union Lake for the day yesterday to get one last chance to mark the structure and some decent winter weed beds for ice fishing. Water was 35.4 degrees on the surface and found most most of the fish were suspending out in the deeper water close to the shallow flats. Ended up with one little smallmouth (12") and two nice ten inch crappies while throwing my flatfish around. After about 3 hours of getting soaked due to the fact that I remembered the neoprene waders but forgot the raincoat I decided to pack it in. Hopefully will get one more shot at it this week before the skim ice forms again.

·
LSCN Sponsor
5,472 Posts
Is it summer yet????LOL

·
Registered
10,622 Posts
fish tremble has my vote for hardest of all core fisherman on this board. Way to go. I think you have the record for the last post from a boat in Michigan.

Hey if your out tomarrow till after midnight you can be the last fisherman of 2003 and first fisherman of 2004.

Let me know if you need a partner.

h2o<----says awesome guy!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
357 Posts
Fish Tremble,
Dude! You give the term "Macho Man" new meaning. I hope you played that lunker smallie for a long time. It has to last through the winter. One good thing everyone, everyday gets a little longer now.

Yesterday a guy pulled his boat into the DNR launch on Chemung. The east side of the lake has a bunch of ice but the west side is wide open. He stayed there for about a half hour gazing at the ice around the ramp and looking a little distressed. I thought that he was going to wait for spring but he finally left.

A Happy and Safe New Year to All!!!!

COME ON SPRING!!!!

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks fellas!! Sorry H2O computer is acting up at home (lost the sound and video drivers) so haven't checked in here or you would have been more than welcome to join in (hard to find a second person that will take you seriously when you tell them you are planning on taking the boat out this late in the year). Managed to get back out on Union again on Friday. Lake had only 1/4inch of skim ice around the launch so I slowly broke it up with the boat and went to the back bay which was wide open. Basically I was just looking for good structure (sunken islands and such) for the ice fishing. Trolled, jigged and casted for a while but just couldn't get the fish to turn on. Tried lures, minnows and walleye minnows but just couldn't get them going. Was well worth the trip however since during the outing I managed to find an old water skiing slalom that had sunk and was holding a large school of panfish that I couldn't make out what they were in 28 feet of water. Then on the way back in came across something strange on the fish finder so went back over that while leaning over the side so that I could see under the boat without the glare of the sun and came across a sunken pontoon boat in 30 feet of water that had fish all over it. Managed to jig up one rock bass and a crappie from that. But that is it for me my GPS is filled with all the points I should need for a successful ice fishing year so I say bring on the hard water!! Good luck to all.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts