Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We were heading back from Grosse Point yesterday afternoon when I came across a 3 - 4" PVC Pipe sticking out of the water. No lights, No color, just white. It had a cleat and some yellow rope attached to it. It is not marked on my chart, and only stuck out of the water about 2 feet. Does anyone know what it is there for? I missed it by about 30 feet as the waves were blocking it and it was hard to see. This could be a bad situation for someone at night and for someone during the day if they are not paying attention.

·
Premium Member
18,804 Posts
Sailboat course marker. They do have letters on them and reflective tape.

If it wasnt one of them (letters are hard to see) I dont know what it was. There quite a few of them in 14-17 feet of water up and down the mile roads.

·
Registered
4,624 Posts
QUOTE(Mini @ Jul 13 2009, 07:56 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Sailboat course marker. They do have letters on them and reflective tape.

If it wasnt one of them (letters are hard to see) I dont know what it was. There quite a few of them in 14-17 feet of water up and down the mile roads.

I did not see any markings on it, but did not circle it. If there is reflective tape on it, it must be the same color as the PVC. Oh, and what good does reflective tape do when we do not have headlights?? Its not like my red or green light gives off enough to light it up.

·
Vendor
12,828 Posts
I have seen them out in Anchor Bay before as well. But when I saw them the sail boats were running their course so it made sense to me.

·
Registered
22,944 Posts
It sure isn't a good feeling when you see something whiz by that you didn't see before!

That's where LUCK comes into play!

·
Premium Member
18,804 Posts
QUOTE(The Patriot @ Jul 13 2009, 08:21 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>AP, very close, but I think I was in a little closer to shore, but a good approximation.

View attachment 63805

There are more a bit north and south of the red circle shown.

I have 5 oof them marked on my GPS and they do move from year to year (not much). I will snap a picture of a couple of them next time I am in the area.

There is one (the M Bouy) that has a UofM sticker on it instead of the red reflective letter that the others have. All that I have seen have a red reflective stripe. I would assume that the stripe may have been missing or fallen off the one you saw.

Also at night, there are MANY bouys that are not lit, but have reflective tape on them to make them USCG approved. There is another thrad about this in the fishing forum about a month back too.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.