Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
531 Posts
I'm not sure if anyone saw this today, I just thought I'd share.

Detoit News June 8 Unquenchable thirst imperils Great Lakes

Unquenchable thirst imperils Great Lakes

Increased usage in Michigan and pressure for water access from surrounding communities threaten already-low lake levels

By Gary Heinlein and Charlie Cain / Detroit News Lansing Bureau

QUOTEDemand is at a record high -- and will only increase in years to come -- at a time when a dry spell has dropped lake levels to a near-record low.

It's not a question of whether a water war is looming, but when it will be fought, and -- most importantly to The Great Lakes State -- who will win.

QUOTEA trillion gallons a day are taken from a seemingly bottomless supply of Great Lakes water that, today, doesn't seem so bottomless.

QUOTEWhere Michigan sees fishing and shipping, an increasingly thirsty world sees a water cooler the size of Texas.

QUOTEIncluding the water that runs through power plants, the Great Lakes region already uses just under a trillion gallons a day. While most of that returns to the lakes, about 2.5 billion gallons a day -- enough to lower the water level 2 1/2 inches if it all came at once from Lakes Michigan and Huron -- are consumed by crops and industries that produce beer, baby food, bottled water and other products. That water doesn't make it back into the Lakes system.

·
Registered
3,406 Posts
Amazing, sad article. Thanks for sharing. I guess rainy days that keep us off of the water are not terrible when you consider the big picture. (This is my first post, GREAT SITE!)

·
Registered
5 Posts
I read this article as well and it really made me think about how valuable this resource is. This past winter after a trip to Jackson Hole we were thinking about buying property in Idaho (the backside of Jackson Hole WY where " normal" people can still afford to buy land) until we researched the water situation there and how much they fight and have legal battles over water rights - humans -v- ranchers/farmers. I love the rain even if it keeps us inside!

Makes me wonder if other states or the Federal gov. will ever make a real play for our water.

I am a newbie and just getting to know the site - great setup! Nice site!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts