Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Another stupid question

What is the difference between used and brokerage.

Is it used if they take it on trade, and brokerage if they sell it for you. Seems like the same thing. Should I stay away from brokerage. Seems like a commission penalty.

G

·
Brokerage boats can be good. I bought mine as a brokerage. I believe it is like a consignment deal. The dealer makes money off the seller. I had a decent expieriance with my deal.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Here's the difference.

A brokered boat is one where the broker is selling the boat on behalf of someone and takes a commission on the sale similar to a realtor.

A used boat is one where the dealer or person owns the boat and is selling it on behalf of themselves similar to a used car salesman.

·
Premium Member
9,536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So either way it has no effect on the buyer. It sounds like the difference is(as I suspected) who gets the profit.

Thanks

I'm sure I'll more stupid questions. Just wish I'd here about this job thing so I could put all this advise to use

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
Actually, garydebs, it can have a pretty big effect on the buyer. If a dealer is brokering a boat, they typically have little skin in the game. If it is a used boat, for instance, one they took in trade, they probably have it financed with their bank (in one way or another), so they are paying interest on it. It is also taking up space on their lot or dock, and not making them any money while doing so (lots of broker agreements have storage charges of X dollars per foot per day/week/month). A dealer has a lot more leeway to negotiate on a boat it owns, especially if it costing them money. That's why a lot of dealerships don't like to take trade-ins, especially oddball trades; it's harder for them to move the used boat.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts