Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not sure if this is ok for this forum - couldn't find any info elsewhere here (classifieds, etc.)... I have a friend looking for a slug gun, preferably a pump with a rifled and sighted barrel (scope would be nice too!)... I would be potentially interested in a .308, and ANY shotgun or handgun - if anyone has info please let me know - thanks

·
Registered
5,417 Posts
QUOTE(superman @ Aug 19 2009, 10:26 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Not sure if this is ok for this forum - couldn't find any info elsewhere here (classifieds, etc.)... I have a friend looking for a slug gun, preferably a pump with a rifled and sighted barrel (scope would be nice too!)... I would be potentially interested in a .308, and ANY shotgun or handgun - if anyone has info please let me know - thanks

Hell yeah it's ok, that's what this place is about!

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
Hey thanks y'all for the info - ended up getting a nice Rem 870 from another member here that PM'd me, was just what the doctor ordered! Was on my way to look at a Win 1300 from the MGO website but opted for the 870. Glad to find another great example of how cool this site is!

Oh and keep me in mind if anyone has or hears of good used guns for sale - almost anything except not interested in WWII guns (other than maybe a Luger or Walther), still need a .308 and LOVE shotguns. THANKS!

·
Registered
528 Posts
Can sometimes be a hit or miss and sometimes the prices might be high, however, there are some deals to find once in a while...especially in a .308, you just have to pick through everything like you would at a gun show. If you want something specialized or custom, it will cost you there. If you want a run of the mill mass produced rifle, like a winchester or remington, you should find a fair bargain compared to new. The guys up there are pleasant to deal with and there is a range on site as a bonus. (100yrd rifle and 25yrd pistol).

Shotguns...
http://www.williamsgunsight.com/gunsights/...sedshotguns.htm

Rifles...
http://www.williamsgunsight.com/gunsights/808usedrifles.htm

Also, I picked up this beauty from www.auctionarms.com

I STOLE it for around $700 on auction and had to pay $20 for Bass Pro to handle the FFL transfer. Worth every penny. The scope alone is a $400+ scope, plus a browning a-bolt new will run over $1k with the BOSS system. You just have to watch the auctions and not be afraid to bid, yet watch yourself and know when to spot scams. www.gunbroker.net is another great auction site with more auctions than www.auctionarms.com

Browning A-Bolt Stainless/Synthetic .300 WinMag with Leupold Vari-X II 4x-12x

Also, just out of curiosity, why a 308? I like to hear everyones opinion on this. Its not that I am one to say the 308 is junk or the 30-06 is this or the 300winmag that... etc.

I chose the 300 WinMag for a lifetime of versatility. It will hunt any big game accross the world, should I ever get the chance. It is not too big for whitetail deer, it shoots flat, it shoots fast, it hits harder than most other rounds, and with me shooting common 180gr Remington ammo, I can be sure to find boxes of ammo anywhere that stocks a couple boxes of ammo on their shelves. I also wanted something long range capable. My optics limit me to about 600yrds max, however, I am sure the rifle is capable of 1,000yrd shots. It shoots sub MOA (5/8" group @100yrds...working on 1/2 MOA groups, BOSS needs a little fine tuning) as is with cheapo remington ammo. I get my boxes for under $30 for 20rounds. Of course, the recoil is something out of this world.

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
QUOTE(Nitro225Optimax @ Aug 26 2009, 12:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Can sometimes be a hit or miss and sometimes the prices might be high, however, there are some deals to find once in a while...especially in a .308, you just have to pick through everything like you would at a gun show. If you want something specialized or custom, it will cost you there. If you want a run of the mill mass produced rifle, like a winchester or remington, you should find a fair bargain compared to new. The guys up there are pleasant to deal with and there is a range on site as a bonus. (100yrd rifle and 25yrd pistol).

Shotguns...
http://www.williamsgunsight.com/gunsights/...sedshotguns.htm

Rifles...
http://www.williamsgunsight.com/gunsights/808usedrifles.htm

Also, I picked up this beauty from www.auctionarms.com

I STOLE it for around $700 on auction and had to pay $20 for Bass Pro to handle the FFL transfer. Worth every penny. The scope alone is a $400+ scope, plus a browning a-bolt new will run over $1k with the BOSS system. You just have to watch the auctions and not be afraid to bid, yet watch yourself and know when to spot scams. www.gunbroker.net is another great auction site with more auctions than www.auctionarms.com

Browning A-Bolt Stainless/Synthetic .300 WinMag with Leupold Vari-X II 4x-12x

Also, just out of curiosity, why a 308? I like to hear everyones opinion on this. Its not that I am one to say the 308 is junk or the 30-06 is this or the 300winmag that... etc.

I chose the 300 WinMag for a lifetime of versatility. It will hunt any big game accross the world, should I ever get the chance. It is not too big for whitetail deer, it shoots flat, it shoots fast, it hits harder than most other rounds, and with me shooting common 180gr Remington ammo, I can be sure to find boxes of ammo anywhere that stocks a couple boxes of ammo on their shelves. I also wanted something long range capable. My optics limit me to about 600yrds max, however, I am sure the rifle is capable of 1,000yrd shots. It shoots sub MOA (5/8" group @100yrds...working on 1/2 MOA groups, BOSS needs a little fine tuning) as is with cheapo remington ammo. I get my boxes for under $30 for 20rounds. Of course, the recoil is something out of this world.

Did the beginning of your post get cut off? I assume you were referring to Williams, which I am familiar with but have only been to once and it was 10+ years ago - I'll check out their website. I actually have the same A-Bolt Stainless Stalker in .300 WinMag with a Leupold VX III 3-9 - it's gorgeous, bought it for out West for elk primarily. I think you did steal that for $700 if it's in great shape. I am considering a .308 for Michigan deer hunting, primarily due to compact/light weight, low recoil, inexpensive ammo (compared to .300) - my A-Bolt is a beast and kicks like a mule as you said. I have a nice old Marlin 30-30 that I've been using and it is fine, but what the heck, maybe I'll buy another rifle?! lol I much prefer to buy something via word-of-mouth than to go to auctions... and I'm not desperate, just looking for a good deal and maybe to help someone out that needs some cash in this tough economy. I wouldn't rule out a .270 either...

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
QUOTE(Nitro225Optimax @ Aug 26 2009, 11:21 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Also, just out of curiosity, why a 308? I like to hear everyones opinion on this. Its not that I am one to say the 308 is junk or the 30-06 is this or the 300winmag that... etc.

I would be comfortable using the 308 on anything in NA other than a brown bear. Ammo is less expensive, more available, less recoil, less noise. Just a few I could come up with. And who in the world would only want one rifle

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
QUOTE(islander @ Aug 26 2009, 02:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(Nitro225Optimax @ Aug 26 2009, 11:21 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Also, just out of curiosity, why a 308? I like to hear everyones opinion on this. Its not that I am one to say the 308 is junk or the 30-06 is this or the 300winmag that... etc.

I would be comfortable using the 308 on anything in NA other than a brown bear. Ammo is less expensive, more available, less recoil, less noise. Just a few I could come up with. And who in the world would only want one rifle

What he said! And as far as I can tell, my only "shooting" at a brown bear would be with my .357 over my shoulder as I'm hauling a** the other way!

I only need ONE more gun, dear... aka free beer tomorrow, etc.

·
Registered
528 Posts
QUOTEAnd who in the world would only want one rifle

People on a budget...

However, I don't have just one firearm. I also have a Marlin 30/30 lever action. I have two Remington 30-06's, one 740 and one 742. One is a carbine with short barrel and the other with a longer barrel. I also have a .50cal Knight disc muzzleloader. The semi-auto 30-06's even with Leupold optics were at best a 200yrd range rifle. I have been presented with long shots as most of the state land I hunt is logged. I can see 1,000 yards and its 300-400yrds to 3 tree lines from two of my treestands. Plus, like I said, I didnt want a hammer, I wanted a sledge hammer. When I hit those deer, they go down now. Every once in a while, with the 30-06 even in 180gr or 168gr, they would run a little bit and tracking deer is not fun to me. A couple of my other stands only have 60-75yrd shots in thick dense 10yr old growth on edges of swamps. I shot a 190lb field dressed doe through both lungs and caught a shoulder blade, she went 200+ yards into the swamp, the 30-06 didnt even knock her sideways. The 300 winmag flips them on their back at 300yrds right where they stand. As far as the recoil goes, maybe I'm still young enough to appreciate and enjoy the recoil. My 60yr old father cringes everytime I touch off the winmag.

QUOTEWow Nitro that is a beauty!

Thank you. My fiance was even kind enough to get me a large double hard gun case from Bass Pro for it for christmas last year. Now I can take two rifles to deer camp!

QUOTEWhat he said! And as far as I can tell, my only "shooting" at a brown bear would be with my .357 over my shoulder as I'm hauling a** the other way!

No, again, I prefer a sledge hammer, I just have to talk my fiance into letting me get a 500SW for that, because there are a ton of brown bears in Michigan sweetie!

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Lets face it most peeps like one gun or the other and come up with lots of points this way or that way to support the gun they like the most. Now I have shot 20 plus deer with my 30.06 and have only tracked one deer 200 feet most are down with in stepping distance from impact. Also the 30.06 has rounds down to 110gr and up to 220gr.
Hell you can use the 30.06 to shoot varmint to brown bear with No problem.
But most performance issues peeps have more than likely will come from the wrong ammo for the game. Now if your shooting a 30.06 with 165gr and comparing it to a 180 or 200 gr .300 mag well that not a good comparison. I use 220gr in my .06 for deer and they don't move from the place of impact much, if they do at all. A hole bunch more can be stated good about the old 30.06 than can be sead bad about it. Now the 308 is just a tad bit smaller than the .06 but will take a bear just fine also. Its what you put in the Gun that will make it a hunt to remember. I once shot a 7 point in Georgia that was 15 feet from me
it was the best shot one could wish for a broadside shot in the hart/lung area I pulled the trigger and wham the deer spun around an ran back in the wood line I could not believe it I thought i must of not hit him what the @#$%. so i sat there for twenty or so minuets and went to look for blood and found none hair found none so now I'm 90% sure my scope was off or something well i walked in to the wood line and there he was dead 150ft from the spot i shot him all wrapped up in vines and branches. So i felt much better about the hole thing as you would expect. so then i go to dress the buck out and to my surprise there was NO exit wound now thats nuts I'm thinking so i start in the chest and its completely empty no lungs,hart,liver and so on now at this point I'm shaking my head. Well after looking at the hole situation I realized the 165gr bullet disintegrated on impact and for not better way to describe it liquefied all the organs in the chest cavity. what i found was very very small granules of lead in the soup that was left in the deer. Now that deer took the full impact of a 165gr 30.06 round at 15ft directly in the vitals and ran. The bottom line some deer are going to run no matter what and some will drop and not move an inch. from a 270. all the way up to the largest canons out there. More deer are killed with a 30-30 every year than all other guns and some will drop and some will run.
JMO
BB

·
Registered
4,568 Posts
QUOTE(superman @ Aug 26 2009, 11:38 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Cool - appreciate it! My 870 was given the nickname "killing machine" from the good success I had with it the 1st year - I don't see it going anywhere either!

I call my 10 gauge Browning "The Stripper Pole"

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
QUOTE(Grapes @ Aug 29 2009, 04:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(superman @ Aug 26 2009, 11:38 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Cool - appreciate it! My 870 was given the nickname "killing machine" from the good success I had with it the 1st year - I don't see it going anywhere either!

now thats funny

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
QUOTE(Grapes @ Aug 29 2009, 04:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(superman @ Aug 26 2009, 11:38 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Cool - appreciate it! My 870 was given the nickname "killing machine" from the good success I had with it the 1st year - I don't see it going anywhere either!

Luuucccyyy you got some 'splainin to do...

The large diameter I'm guessing? That is funny sh*t - I like the mindset of whomever came up with that one!

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
QUOTE(BillBuster @ Aug 29 2009, 04:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Lets face it most peeps like one gun or the other and come up with lots of points this way or that way to support the gun they like the most. ... The bottom line some deer are going to run no matter what and some will drop and not move an inch. from a 270. all the way up to the largest canons out there. More deer are killed with a 30-30 every year than all other guns and some will drop and some will run.
JMO
BB

Well said BB - I bought a nice old used Marlin 30-30 many years ago as I didn't want to tote my .300 WinMag for whitetails - I've killed a few with it, but definitely not the knock-down power of some other larger calibers & bullets. First one I shot with it stopped and stood there obviously hit, I waited a bit then shot again and he dropped (1st shot was lungs, second was heart). Took a shot last year at a nice buck about 80 yards, he was down one ridge and on top of another from me - thought it was a good shot, guess it hit a little low though, tracked him for hours (blood trail didn't start for about 40 yards from impact, decent blood) - never jumped him, saw tracks that maybe a coyote got on his heels - never found him
My thought of getting a .308 is that it's got much better ballistics without the kick of a 30.06 or a .300, and I can still use my .300 if I want to. Most of the deer I've shot (rifle and shotgun) have been within 100 yards. Kicker is that a good friend bought a sweet Kimber in .308 and it just felt so nice when I held it!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.