Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
I decided to do an oil analysis for a few reasons. One, we just bought this boat so I was hoping to get a glimpse of what shape the engines are truly in. Two, I have never heard of Wolfs Head oil so I wanted to see if it was any good. The previous owner said he only put on about 10 hours and we bought at the end of the season so we didnt get a chance to put a lot of hours on, so I told Blackstone the oil had approximately 20 hours on it. I would have liked to see how the oil held up after at least 50+ hours.

View attachment img_X28085330_0001.pdf

View attachment img_X28085311_0001.pdf

Somewhere out there is a chart that tells you what each of these elements/chemicals mean when they show up in your oil. I will try to find it and post that also.

Attachments

·
Registered
9,917 Posts
QUOTE(Suck My Wake @ Oct 28 2009, 07:47 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I decided to do an oil analysis for a few reasons. One, we just bought this boat so I was hoping to get a glimpse of what shape the engines are truly in. Two, I have never heard of Wolfs Head oil so I wanted to see if it was any good. The previous owner said he only put on about 10 hours and we bought at the end of the season so we didnt get a chance to put a lot of hours on, so I told Blackstone the oil had approximately 20 hours on it. I would have liked to see how the oil held up after at least 50+ hours.

View attachment 68324

View attachment 68323

Somewhere out there is a chart that tells you what each of these elements/chemicals mean when they show up in your oil. I will try to find it and post that also.

A description of the elements and what they mean/where they come from in the engine is somewhere on Blackstones website. Ive used them in the past for UOA's on my Envoy.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Some of the metals tested for and usually included in analysis of an oil sample and their potential sources are:

-Aluminum (Al): Thrust washers, bearings and pistons are made of this metal. High readings can be from piston skirt scuffing, excessive ring groove wear, broken thrust washers, etc.
-Boron, Magnesium, Calcium, Barium, Phosphorous, and Zinc: These metals are normally from the lubricating oil additive package. They involve detergents, dispersants, extreme-pressure additives, etc.
-Chromium (CR): Normally associated with piston rings. High levels can be caused by dirt coming through the air intake or broken rings.
-Copper (CU), Tin: These metals are normally from bearings or bushings and valve guides. Oil coolers also can contribute to copper readings along with some oil additives. In a new engine these results will normally be high during break-in, but will decline in a few hundred hours.
-Iron (Fe): This can come from many places in the engine such as liners, camshafts, crankshaft, valve train, timing gears, etc.
-Lead (Pb): Use of regular gasoline will cause very high test results. Also associated with bearing wear, but fuel source (leaded gasoline) and sampling contamination (use of galvanized containers for sampling) are critical in interpreting this metal.
-Silicon (Si): High readings generally indicate dirt or fine sand contamination from a leaking air intake system. This would act as an abrasive, causing excessive wear. Silicon is also used as a anti-foam agent in some oils. more on silicon
-Sodium (Na): High readings of this metal normally are associated with a coolant leak, but can be from an oil additive package.

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
QUOTE(Suck My Wake @ Oct 28 2009, 11:06 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(Chriznat @ Oct 28 2009, 10:07 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(pquest29 @ Oct 28 2009, 09:01 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(gunner @ Oct 28 2009, 09:41 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I always use the finger test myself.

OK, I'll bite. What is that?

Me too... Is it something like the 'pull out method'?

The pull out method is not a recommended method.

the taste test is more accurate then the finger method but you have have experiance at it for the readings to make sense.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
QUOTE(4_winns_fan @ Oct 28 2009, 02:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(Chriznat @ Oct 28 2009, 10:07 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(pquest29 @ Oct 28 2009, 09:01 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(gunner @ Oct 28 2009, 09:41 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I always use the finger test myself.

OK, I'll bite. What is that?

Me too... Is it something like the 'pull out method'?

More appropriatly called the "pull and spray" method!

slight fix to your post

1 - 11 of 11 Posts