Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9,917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive heard about it several times but kept telling myself that I wouldnt try to ever use my blackberry on my laptop as a modem, where internet service was unavailable (for obvious reasons - if Im up north I should be outside, if Im on the boat I should be having fun, etc...)

Well trying to plan a few days away from the cabin up north I quickly discovered that I need internet. I couldnt book anything on my blackberry (hotels, mackinaw tours, etc..) so I was frustrated.

Got to the hotel here in St. Ignace and they have great wi-fi - the fastest speeds Ive ever experienced on public wi-fi. Googled "how to use my sprint blackberry as a modem" and sure enough Sprint has a program that you can download. I downloaded it, disconnected from the public wi-fi here and am now pretty sure Im going to be throttling my internet usage up north now because Sprints data tethering speed is pretty damn good.

So for any Sprint Blackberry users - if you have the unlimited data plan, its free to use Sprints tethering software (no extra charges) to use your Blackberry as a modem on your lappy. Just a heads up!

·
Registered
22,943 Posts
Cool!

I believe that is called Tethering.

It is amazing how isolated and limiting it feels to have no internet. It used to be if you could find a pay phone up north, you could stay in touch. Now, if you can't see near real-time radar, something isn't right!

·
Vendor
14,664 Posts
QUOTE(Chriznat25 @ Jul 14 2009, 12:09 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Ive heard about it several times but kept telling myself that I wouldnt try to ever use my blackberry on my laptop as a modem, where internet service was unavailable (for obvious reasons - if Im up north I should be outside, if Im on the boat I should be having fun, etc...)

Well trying to plan a few days away from the cabin up north I quickly discovered that I need internet. I couldnt book anything on my blackberry (hotels, mackinaw tours, etc..) so I was frustrated.

Got to the hotel here in St. Ignace and they have great wi-fi - the fastest speeds Ive ever experienced on public wi-fi. Googled "how to use my sprint blackberry as a modem" and sure enough Sprint has a program that you can download. I downloaded it, disconnected from the public wi-fi here and am now pretty sure Im going to be throttling my internet usage up north now because Sprints data tethering speed is pretty damn good.

So for any Sprint Blackberry users - if you have the unlimited data plan, its free to use Sprints tethering software (no extra charges) to use your Blackberry as a modem on your lappy. Just a heads up!

Chris, your just so damn spoiled will all of those new toys that you have...

P.S. I still haven't washed the Avalanche yet.... he he

1 - 6 of 6 Posts