Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a tanget to the discussion linked below...

We're gonna need a bigger boat

If you have any further input for the boat discussion, please go to this link. It's buried a bit on this forum now, and I want to get as many opinions as possible. I hope this is an ok practice on this list

The question here is...

Do v-drives perform as well as true or "traditional" inboards? What's their maintenance record compared to inboards?

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
QUOTE(Taxman @ Jun 18 2003, 09:50 AM)Hay....tiredofgoingincircles......
do you always turn left
Is there any other kind of turn?

·
Registered
167 Posts
QUOTE(tiredofgoingincircles @ Jun 19 2003, 01:26 PM)QUOTE(Taxman @ Jun 18 2003, 09:50 AM) Hay....tiredofgoingincircles......
do you always turn left
Is there any other kind of turn?
This weekend they will also mafe right turns

·
Registered
487 Posts
Hey tiredofgoingincircles your name reminds me of story a guy was telling me at Browns on monday nite. He was out fishing last year when he noticed his plug had popped out of his boat and he was taking on water, so he got some speed up and made the boat go around in big circles to give him time to refit the plug and let the bilge pumps take over.

G

·
i just bought a 1985 340 searay
i took the inboards out, had the hull glassed where the shafts came out.

I had a large mount made for the transom, installed 2 hydrualic jack plates, and put (2) 300 efi mercs on the back.

outboards by far are the best motors for boating

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
QUOTE(Mahn Grayvee @ Jun 19 2003, 05:51 PM)outboards by far are the best motors for boating
Why so?

·
Registered
8,011 Posts
QUOTE(tiredofgoingincircles @ Jun 20 2003, 09:13 AM)QUOTE(Mahn Grayvee @ Jun 19 2003, 05:51 PM)
outboards by far are the best motors for boating
Why so?

I think he was just kidding. Outboards are good for many applications though.

There is a '87ish F32 Trojan (sport fisherman) for sale on N-River rd. It is 2 wells west of "Bumpers" if it is still for sale. It is well within your price range and a super clean boat and great for fishing and has all of the amenities that one would expect of a boat that size.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
QUOTE(HazyMemory @ Jun 20 2003, 09:20 AM)There is a '87ish F32 Trojan (sport fisherman) for sale on N-River rd. It is 2 wells west of "Bumpers" if it is still for sale. It is well within your price range and a super clean boat and great for fishing and has all of the amenities that one would expect of a boat that size.
Was in the vacinity on Sunday (looking at another boat) so we stopped off at Bumpers to check this one out. Didn't see it, but there was a 44' Trojan at the brokerage nearby.

We saw it from a distance and I thought wow that looks good for an 80's boat, then as we got closer, I thought... boy it looks really big for a 32 footer!

Anyway, we had a look at a 30' Sundancer with v-drives. The owners were super nice and offered to take us out for a quick ride. I liked the express better than I thought I would. It did seem a bit sluggish getting out of the hole, but then I'm used to that little boat with the i/o.

It seems a lot of Sundancers have i/o's and the new ones are not even offering the v-drives anymore. In the respect of performance, are i/o's better?

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Alas, the thread that died on the vine...

Please let me pick your brains .... it's better than picking your nose...

·
12,052 Posts
QUOTE(tiredofgoingincircles @ Jun 23 2003, 10:32 AM)It seems a lot of Sundancers have i/o's and the new ones are not even offering the v-drives anymore. In the respect of performance, are i/o's better?
As far as performance i/o's are better. The more important factor is size. PLENTY of new boats have v-drives. Searay makes different models in the same length boat. Sundancers, Express cruisers, Amberjacks, and so on. Different beams, layouts, and drives for each.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts