Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,043 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I finally did it!! Made my reservations to spend a week next month on the Puebla Indian Reservation in New Mexico with my old army buddy from 22 years ago. Going to stay with him and we're going to spend some time in the desert on horseback, see some of the old deserted cities built into canyon walls and watch some of the old spiritual dances by some of the real old-timers.

He is a Hopi indian and has been making Kachina dolls from desert materials using techniques passed down from generations for years. His wife makes fabulous beadwork articles and has won many national awards. He and his children have won many national competitions in traditional dance.

Friggen psyched. Flying on the 14th of May!!

His people are in some of the pictures on this website:

gatheringofnations.com

·
Registered
243 Posts
Hey Traveler! Nice finally meeting you on Saturday!

New Mexico should be fun. Bring back some wicked gaudy turquoise beltbuckels for you and your pals! HA!

·
Registered
3,043 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sounds like I'll be bringing some cool handmade stuff no matter what!!

·
AKA: Veronique
1,218 Posts
Sounds like a blast! Have fun!

·
Registered
11,681 Posts
it's going to be absolutely beautiful. i lived there for a year at the base of the 'sandia mountians.' sandia is spanish for 'watermelon.' the mountains got thier name because when the sun goes down the mountain looks quite pink and with the trees at the base of it it looks like a giant slice of watermelon. it's beautiful. there's a tram you can ride all the way up to the top and see the most beautiful sunsets.

white sands is quite breathtaking as well.

a lot of the old pueblos are so cool, too! hope you have a BLAST!!!

·
Registered
19,233 Posts
I collect hand-made Indian art work (since my grandma was a Cherokee
) or anything with turquoise!

You better bring lots of $$$$ and extra bags to bring all of our stuff back in.

Have a wonderful and safe trip. Does sound exciting to see a old buddy and visit the Southwest. Take lots of pics to share.

·
Registered
34,129 Posts
That sounds really cool. Are those actual "ghost towns" that you will be seeing?

·
Registered
3,043 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
QUOTE(Snowmaker @ Apr 14 2004, 06:11 AM)That sounds really cool. Are those actual "ghost towns" that you will be seeing?
Depends on if you believe in Ghosts. I would imagine there are some pretty cool spirits inhabiting this area of the world!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts