Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got my choice narrowed down to a few. I have Verizon and want a QWERTY keyboard for texting that still has the option to be used like an alpha numeric, conventional style phone. That way I can still text using one hand if I want. I've been doing waaaaaaaay too much research and here's what I've found out about the phones I'm considering based on the 3 billion reviews I've read.

LG Voyager Titanium... Has the features I want but the touch part can be squirrely. It doesn't always respond well if you don't really push hard. The sound quality is a complaint for some people. Reception in tests is good but not as good as with the EnV3.

LG EnV3.... Plenty loud and clear. Has my features but apparently you can only text one person at a time when using the conventional alpha numeric keypad on the outside. Also, you can only see your most recent text message from the outside. In order to be able to use all of the texting features you have to have it open.... which would require both hands.... or would be a pain to do with one. Battery life is a complaint for some. I sometimes use 2000+ minutes a month plus text messages. I would want a phone that can go a long time between charges.

LG EnV touch... Almost every review I've read mentions horrible battery life. Quite a few people say that it doesn't ring very loud as compared to other phones. Many say that it can be a great phone, but you may have to exchange it 2 or more times to get one that doesn't act up at times. the sound quality reviews vary greatly with this phone.

Who has one of these phones? How do you like it and what do you think of the things I listed as good and bad aspects? Do you agree with the reviews?

I don't want a Blackberry or an Iphone... or a different carrier. Just an FYI.

·
Registered
36 Posts
My friend has the EnV touch. He said he wouldn't get it again. He keeps the phone in his pocket and even though it "locks" he still manages to unknowingly dial people a few times a week.

I'm leaning toward the EnV 3 for my next phone.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I know you are not considering the LG Dare, but based on the touch key function and the amount I text people, it is very frustrating (especially if you are texting with one hand). I can use it like a keyboard (still on a touch screen), but hate texting on the QWERTY keyboard because it takes me too long. So, I am able to text using the traditional number layout (in T-9 or Word mode) and because the touch screen is not accurate (registers key next to the one you want or it doesn't even register when you push it), I make so many mistakes and sometimes don't realize it until I've typed several words. I've tried recalibrating the touch sensitivity often, but it only works for so long. It's just a pain. As far as texting with one hand, forget it. You need to stabilize it with one hand and use your other hand to operate with BOTH eyes focused on your keys for the best accuracy. So forget texting quickly or texting without looking at the keys. I also had to exchange it already (less than 2 months new) for another one because the microphone was cutting out on me and people couldn't hear me at times.

Unfortunately I am stuck with this phone for the next two years, but I would not get another phone with "touch anything" on it, unless they improve the quality/accuracy of the touch screens before then.

Good for you for researching. I was hasty and now I'm frustrated. Good luck!

·
Registered
354 Posts
Verizon doesn't do iPhone FYI, they're better than that!!

My wife is on her 2nd Voyager, she loves it (first one was destroyed from her on abuse), the 2nd gen touchscreen, or new s/w whatever LG did seems to be more responsive, I always used to hate it when I used with her 1st phone, but the Titanium seems to really get the job done, she's thinking about the enV touch when she's due for a new phone next month, but will probably hold out until she kills this one.

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What I'm hoping is that the info on the EnV3 is wrong and that texting multiple people from the front is actually possible.

·
Registered
19,233 Posts
Dave, got to CNET and search each of the phones you are interested in.. They research and pull these phones apart and have their ratings and user raters, along with a short video on what their "geek" thinks about them. I've been researching phones for a week now. Rich's Renegade from Sprint has been replaced 5 times this past year, while mine has not had a problem. Anyway, Sprint gave him a free upgraded phone (HTC Snap) and a few hundred dollar credit. I am happy now.
Good luck with your search, it sure sucks having a phone that does not work for your needs.

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
QUOTE(threecrabs @ Jul 16 2009, 10:02 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Dave, got to CNET and search each of the phones you are interested in.. They research and pull these phones apart and have their ratings and user raters, along with a short video on what their "geek" thinks about them. I've been researching phones for a week now. Rich's Renegade from Sprint has been replaced 5 times this past year, while mine has not had a problem. Anyway, Sprint gave him a free upgraded phone (HTC Snap) and a few hundred dollar credit. I am happy now.
Good luck with your search, it sure sucks having a phone that does not work for your needs.
I did that, lol. I also had someone recommend a pretty good site... http://www.phonescoop.com.

·
Registered
19,233 Posts
Yes, that is a good one....There are some others too Google 'em. Maybe you need to go to a Verizon store and play with their phones for a couple of hours, lol. Tell them you are test texting them.

·
Premium Member
11,184 Posts
Dave, I went in to get the Voyager and walked out with a Blackberry. Now I don't know how I lived without it. Main reason is that the other devices cannot handle mail as well.

Why are you ruling the Blackberry out?

What do you mean about only being able to text one person at a time? Are you looking to have group text?

·
12,052 Posts
QUOTE(lildebr @ Jul 16 2009, 07:46 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Unfortunately I am stuck with this phone for the next two years, but I would not get another phone with "touch anything" on it, unless they improve the quality/accuracy of the touch screens before then.
Good for you for researching. I was hasty and now I'm frustrated. Good luck!

QUOTE(Capt'n Mike @ Jul 16 2009, 11:48 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>What do you mean about only being able to text one person at a time? Are you looking to have group text?

Yeah, for 'Z'events!!!!

·
Registered
102 Posts
My husband and I both have the new Voyager, and we love it! It is very easy to use with the touchscreen, as well as the keys on the inside. I love texting with the full keyboard, but I find myself doing the "one-handed" texting from the outside touch screen as well. I've never had a problem with the sensitivity of the touch - it seems very responsive, and I don't think you have to touch it hard. My favorite additional feature is the VZ Navigator (which you can add to any phone, I'm sure). I hope this helps! Good luck

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
QUOTE(TurtleSB @ Jul 16 2009, 01:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>My husband and I both have the new Voyager, and we love it! It is very easy to use with the touchscreen, as well as the keys on the inside. I love texting with the full keyboard, but I find myself doing the "one-handed" texting from the outside touch screen as well. I've never had a problem with the sensitivity of the touch - it seems very responsive, and I don't think you have to touch it hard. My favorite additional feature is the VZ Navigator (which you can add to any phone, I'm sure). I hope this helps! Good luck
When you say new voyager, do you mena the EnV Touch?

·
LSCN Sponsor since 3/11
4,629 Posts
I got the LG Versa a few months ago, it's similar to the Voyager from what I'm told. It has the QWERTY keyboard that is removable, you then use the touch screen like the Dare or others similar. Not real crazy about this phone with the touch screen. I wish I would have waited for the Blackberry Tour, which is now out.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.