Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
1,845 Posts
Cartoon Font Hat Headgear Snout

Anyone fishing the Hawgfest Tourney this weekend out on Lake Erie? I will be heading down there Wed evening and planning on fishing thurs- sunday. Hopefully will come back with a couple of hawg eyes! It seems there were some guys on here before who lived or fished down that way....

Attachments

· Registered
2,983 Posts
Thought they did that in late October? Maybe that is a different deal out of Huron. I have a few contacts that go later in the season and multiple 10# fish in one day is common.

Have fun!

· Registered
1,845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
QUOTE(little guy @ Sep 14 2009, 01:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Thought they did that in late October? Maybe that is a different deal out of Huron. I have a few contacts that go later in the season and multiple 10# fish in one day is common.

Have fun!

I think it was later last year, I fished the one out of Huron last year but that was the last weekend in Oct. There are a few different ones out there but Hawgfest is always out of Vermilion. When I fished the Huron one last year the winning team had 5 fish that weighed in just under 50lbs!

· Registered
2,983 Posts
I have always meant to go but never made the time. Usually grouse hunting takes over. It is such a joy to watch my dog work the woods, that I have a hard time doing other things that would require that much of a commitment of my free time.

· Registered
2,091 Posts
I don't intend to hijack a post, but, what kind of dog little guy?
Sorry kayceedee

· Registered
1,845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
QUOTE(EagleLarry @ Sep 14 2009, 03:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I don't intend to hijack a post, but, what kind of dog little guy?
Sorry kayceedee

With an avatar like that you can highjack away!

Little guy, I know what you mean.... there just gets to be too much to do this time of the year. For me fishing usually takes priority though until I have to store the boat, and even then I usually hit the rivers a few times for steelies. Next up for me will be duck hunting and once that starts I usually don't get out fishin too much anymore. I just knew there were a lot of guys here at one time asking and talking about doing the fall bite on Erie. Kind of surprised with as many walleye guys as there are here that they don't make the trip for a good chance at a wall hanger. Maybe because it is something new people are hesitant to make the trip. Here are a couple of facts...
1. OH license can be purchased online just like a MI license and a seasonal license is only $40. Daily license is even cheaper.
2. If you can get to Cedar Point you can get to any of these ports. When out on the lake from here you can typically see Cedar Point in the distance.
3. It is only a couple of hours away. You can do the trip in a day if you want!
4. Plenty of info online from different OH fishing websites. Even if you have no clue what you are doing you could read some reports and ask some questions and be in a good shape to catch fish.

Wish me luck! According to the weather reports I am seeing today it could get a little bumpy out there with east winds but it looks to be dry for the time being.

· Registered
2,983 Posts
QUOTE(EagleLarry @ Sep 14 2009, 03:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I don't intend to hijack a post, but, what kind of dog little guy?
Sorry kayceedee

I have a 2 year old German Wirehaired Pointer named Greta. Despite the fact that I do not train with her as much as I want to, last season at only 13 months of age she pointed numerous grouse, woodcock, and wild South Dakota pheasants. She loves to swim and begs me to throw the duck dummy for her to run and jump off the dock and swim after it. Although still very much a puppy, she has shown steady improvement this summer in hunting tests on quail and I can't wait to get behind her with a gun again this fall. Labs and other flushing breeds are great, but a good pointing dog is really something to watch.

Greta at 10 weeks old pointing a wing in the yard.

Dog Dog breed Carnivore Liver Companion dog

Attachments

· Registered
2,983 Posts
At age 2 she already knows the importance of taking it easy on the couch...bird dogs have it rough you know...

Vertebrate Comfort Felidae Couch Carnivore

Sorry for the hijack but anyone who doesn't love a puppy is a puppy-hater and puppy-haters are, well, stupid.

Attachments

· Registered
2,983 Posts
For anyone interested in the walleye fishing in the Port Clinton/Vermillion area of Erie, it's really about the same drive as if you were going to go to Saginaw Bay (Linwood) from the Detroit area. It's not that far ~ 100 miles.

· Registered
1,845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Just got back from Hawgfest. We prefished on thurs and friday with no much as far as results. Had a hard east wind blowing most of the weekend that produced some rough water. On thursday we caught 1 walleye and on friday we only caught 1 walleye but it was a good one! Measured in at 31 inches and 11 lbs.
Glasses Water Sky Outdoor recreation Fisherman

Wish we would have gotten that one on saturday as it would have put us in the money and won 800 bucks for 2nd place big fish.
Anyway fishing was tough on saturday too but guys found fish in some real rough water. We fished about everything in the box and the big fish came on a reef runner. On saturday we worked a small pocket of fish and took every fish on scorpion sized spoons behinds jets and dipseys. I think we placed 41st out of 105 and weighed our five biggest fish for just under 22 pounds. Big fish that day was 8 lbs for us. Winning team weighed in 37 pounds and big fish was a tad over 11lbs. Had a great time and will try to make it back next year too!

Attachments

· Registered
1,845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
QUOTE(sshhiittyy @ Sep 20 2009, 06:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>11lbs.??? wow, thats a big pig, nice

It was the biggest walleye that has been brought to a boat that I have been on so far. My brother in law was the one who reeled it in. I was designated to run rods and baits for the tourney. He dropped it off at the taxidermist that evening and they weighed and measured it, we couldn't get a good accurate reading on the scale in the bouncing boat but had a reading of about 10lbs 14oz. Good to know the boat scale is pretty accurate!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.