Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm installing an AM/FM radio. Shakespeare makes an antenna splitter that is supposed to eliminate the need to add an AM/FM antenna (and another hole) if your already using a base loaded antenna for a VHF radio.

Has anyone tried this splitter?

·
LSC Raft Moderator
1,472 Posts
I have one on my boat and it works well. It doesn’t seem to affect the VHF range and I no longer fight to receive FM stations. I give it a thumbs up.

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
Yes you can Convincor. Any antenna receives all of frequencies, over a large portion of the spectrum all at the same time! The splitter takes the very high frequency (VHF) and separates it from the lower (frequency modulation) FM. Pretty simple circuit really, a couple of resisitors and diodes...god am I a geek or WHAT!!!

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
As long as it is a good quality one it should work fine. Broadcast FM and marine FM are fairly close frequency wise. I say a good quality one because it has to keep the 25 watts of transmit power from your marine radio form back feeding directly into your AM/FM recieiver.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the Info.... I'm going to give the splitter a try. Regarding a "good" one. I've only seen one brand on the market sold by West Marine, Boaters World and Boat US. Costs a bit over $40. Well worth it if it eliminates another hole and a stick..............

1 - 8 of 8 Posts