Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have heard that Canada has eliminated the need for US boaters to have a station license and an operators license when communicating with Canadian ports via VHF radio. Can anyone tell me if that is correct and if so where I can find the documentation?

G

·
WOW, do you mean that Canada is actually easing up on US boaters?(sarcasm)

I don't go into Canandian water unless for a special trip. Cuz, I have beer in my boat 99% of the time.
This year though, I would like to make it to Cove Marina for that Jimmy Buffett thing. So, if there are regulations, I will need to know them.

Hammer, you know anything about this?

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
About two years ago, Industry Canada (Canada's version of the FCC) opted to make thier rules for Marine VHF operation nearly identical to the FCC's.

Since that time, US boaters in Canadian waterways need carry no license unless over 65' or operating a commercial boat.

I never bothered before the change anyways... in 30 years of boating in and around Canadian waters, I can't remember once being bothered by Canadian Customs, Immigration, OPP, or Canada's Coasties... for ANY reason. In fact, I only remember ever even seeing any of the above on RARE occassions... usually major events. The Canadian Game officer is a different story... I've seen him more than a few times!

I-68 forms?.... Check in with US customs? Special INS decals?.... Bah Humbug to US customs! Be like Canada! Make a phone call, get a #!! If Osama wanted to come here, do you think he'll bother to register first?
Heck.. you can just stroll across the river in several places now!

G

·
QUOTE(Capn Ken @ Feb 12 2004, 12:48 PM)I-68 forms?.... Check in with US customs? Special INS decals?.... Bah Humbug to US customs! Be like Canada! Make a phone call, get a #!! If Osama wanted to come here, do you think he'll bother to register first?
Heck.. you can just stroll across the river in several places now!
Capn Ken........my sentiments exactly.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts