Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
6,661 Posts
In November I built a web site for a client

After two meetings, one quite extensive on what he wanted, and 1.5 weeks of labor, his web was published and was honestly alot more than he'd asked for (or was charged for)

I invoiced him and he did not pay, nor return my calls, nor return my emails. His web is a substantial size, database integrated into it and was quite costly to build - the programming alone should've costed more than the whole kit and caboodle.

Long story short, small claims court was this morning and I was a little concerned that I would recover anything since this was a verbal agreement, and I had nothing in writing. Since then I do nothing without a signature and 50% deposit - used this experience as a learning tool for sure.

Anyways, the judge really got down on him for not sending me a copper penny for months and for not contacting me to go over his dispute. He awarded me a generous amount for my time and effort, + court fees and I am ELATED that this whole experience is behind me, and was in my favor.

So, my lesson learned is that not everyone has the level of business integrity that I'd like to think that they do, and to basically cover my a$$ by getting everything in writing from here on out. Still feels good to win, and the $$ is like a bonus to me now

·
Registered
3,406 Posts
That IS good news. Congrat's! By the way, if the biz owner is aware of this site, you may want to edit your post and take his site down. (Just a suggestion!)
Congrats Shandog, it's always good news when the small biz wins!

·
Registered
6,661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've kept his site up and running since launch in November, and have no plans to take it down. He asked for my services, I delivered the product, now I'd just like to be paid for it (which is not an unfair request.) Too bad I had to have a judge order him to pay what is rightfully mine and declare to him, under oath, that I should be compensated accordingly for my work.

Anyways, I hope he uses his site now that he is paying for it. It IS everything he wanted and then some

·
Registered
3,406 Posts
Sorry Shandog,
What I meant was to take his site out of the post, I wouldn't want you to get in hot water for slander...
I'm not a lawyer, nor do I play one on TV, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn last night!

·
Registered
5,119 Posts
Great job Shannon!! I am so happy for you!
I can feel your glow of vicory I know what it's like.

·
Registered
11,681 Posts
yup yup! way to GO shan!! i'll be contacting you soon about what i can expect, i'm sure! grrrrrrrrrrrrr

way to GO!
proud of you!

·
Registered
4,832 Posts
People should be ashamed of there self’s when they hire or owe someone money and don’t pay them and you have to go to court to get what is rightfully yours.

·
Registered
5,119 Posts
QUOTE(bobrob20 @ Apr 1 2004, 06:48 PM)People should be ashamed of there self's when they hire or owe someone money and don't pay them and you have to go to court to get what is rightfully yours.
I agree!

·
Sponsor Since 1/10
5,229 Posts
QUOTE(bobrob20 @ Apr 1 2004, 06:48 PM)People should be ashamed of there self's when they hire or owe someone money and don't pay them and you have to go to court to get what is rightfully yours.
You have nooooo idea how bad it is.
I look at Credit Bureaus ALL DAY and the vast majority are sponges on society.

·
Premium Member
11,184 Posts
This is great, Shan! Good things are happening for you, and they are well deserved!

Why didn't this guy try to settle out of court, upon getting notice of the claim? In court, how did he try to justify not paying you?

AMS generally asks for 50% to start too. With sites we host, there's always the option of shutting them down for lack of payment, but that doesn't always result in payment.

·
Registered
6,661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks Mike

That's what was weird - he came to court acknowledging that he owed me money so he had no justification to the judge for not sending me anything. The judge did NOT like that he paid me nothing, and voiced his opinion to him for shafting me out of any payment very explicitly.

We may have both won yesterday - I was awarded a settlement, and he got money knocked off his bill <_< , but after waiting months receiving nothing on a verbal agreement, I am happy to get anything at all.

I could have yanked his web site if I wanted to, but kept it up bc I wanted to uphold my end of the business agreement 100% to the end.

·
Premium Member
7,443 Posts
Way to go Shannon!

I had to do the small claims court thing once. Luckily we settled a couple days prior to going to court.

The subpoena really gets peoples attention.

·
Registered
9,469 Posts
i feel for you!
after 6 months i finally collected from a business that contracted me to do their shrinkwrap and winterizing. after the work was done, i only recieved a 1/4 of the total bill. finally, with court lingering over their head, they decided to pay, in payments, which i guess is better then nohing...
long story short, i finally got paid.

court is a great thing whether you have to use it or just threaten w/ it

1 - 20 of 20 Posts