Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what would you do if you had a neighbor who parked his boat in the driveway all summer (for 2 and half seasons) and commenced to working on it, cutting and grinding, even tho it never intruded on the sidewalk or anyone else's yard and the person never worked on it past dark or made a lotta of noise after hours. because the boat won't fit around the house and there no access to a rear or side yard, due to the house layout.

And said person is a really nice guy that never hurt anyone and the boat sitting there doesn't hurt anyone and the guy keeps his yard cleaned up and mowed and even looking pretty nice with the roses and all.

hmmm? what would you do? would it bug you enough to call and complain to the city that he is possibly technically violating a storage ordinance?

just curious.

·
Registered
3,248 Posts
QUOTE(Cadmonkey @ Jul 9 2009, 12:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>what would you do if you had a neighbor who parked his boat in the driveway all summer (for 2 and half seasons) and commenced to working on it, cutting and grinding, even tho it never intruded on the sidewalk or anyone else's yard and the person never worked on it past dark or made a lotta of noise after hours. because the boat won't fit around the house and there no access to a rear or side yard, due to the house layout.

And said person is a really nice guy that never hurt anyone and the boat sitting there doesn't hurt anyone and the guy keeps his yard cleaned up and mowed and even looking pretty nice with the roses and all.

hmmm? what would you do? would it bug you enough to call and complain to the city that he is possibly technically violating a storage ordinance?

just curious.
No, but thats just me.. I know alot of people that would.

·
Registered
131 Posts
If its you Ya!!!!!!!!!

That happened to me boat was even in the backyard bastard even came over and yelled at my son since I wasn't home... So I moved the baot and built a Half Pipe and have all the skate board kids over.

·
Registered
795 Posts
Do you have a boat you ever have in the driveway for more than 48hrs? Guess careful what you start. I think most places you get 48 hrs to "prep" it then it has to move. Of course it could move forward and back and the clock resets.

·
Registered
329 Posts
If it's not hurting anyone, and not in anyone's way or any type of hazard (say for fire/police/ems), then leave well enough alone. There's a ton of people in our sub that never kept their boats in their driveways before, and now are. My guess, can't afford to keep them in the storage places any longer. Although we have one guy in the sub, that I don't think I've seen the boat move in over 5 years.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Depends on if I was home during daylight hours and what view the boat was obstructing, if any. I know we have neighbors that keep motor homes in the street and in their driveway all summer that never seem to move, and it is an eyesore to me. I probably would not call the city, but certain things that sit forever can be annoying.

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
QUOTE(PocketChange @ Jul 9 2009, 12:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Do you have a boat you ever have in the driveway for more than 48hrs? Guess careful what you start. I think most places you get 48 hrs to "prep" it then it has to move. Of course it could move forward and back and the clock resets.

thats what I was thinking. plus to my knowledge it wouldn't be illegal to hook it up to my truck and park it front of the house all summer, I'll jjust take the suzuki to work and move the truck and boat across the street every 48 hours.

·
Registered
28,072 Posts
In his yard, not bothering anybody, I wouldn't do a darn thing.
I don't care what my neighbors do on their side of the fence, as long as it doesn't cause me or mine any harm, it's none of my business.
I got enough things in life to keep me well entertained, I don't care what the neighbors have. If I don't care for it, I just don't look.
Better yet the new house has a 6 foot privacy fence

·
Registered
5,417 Posts
I parked my boat in my dad's driveway for 4 years in Warren. The city has an ordianace that says you can't leave it in your drive longer than 72 hours at a time. So this prick of a neighbor calls the cops on me (he's in fact the neighbor that every other neighbor on the street absolutely despises) and the cops tell me I have to move my boat, or get a ticket. What compels this sunnuva bitch to call the cops after 4 YEARS is beyond me, ESPECIALLY since he keeps his RV in the driveway, that does block the drive) but whatever. I don't cause trouble cause I don't wanna have it come back to my dad, and I figure out a solution even if I don't like it (it's now parked in front of my buddy's house in Chesterfield).

NOW!!! This is why I'm an absolutely firm believer in Karma, and that the universe self-aligns:

Remember a couple of weeks ago, a really bad storm swept the area? Man this is so awesome. Lightning hits the tree in front of said a**hole's house, AND his Expedition!!!
The tree falls on his truck (which I found out wasn't insured) AND on his RV!! The truck's rear tires are blown out from the blast, and the engine caught fire. So now, he can't move his RV! My dad kept telling me to call the cops on him but I didn't think it was necessary.

To answer your question Mr. Monkey: No. I wouldn't call the cops on my neighbors. For just about anything short of murder or child abuse. I'd have the gonads to talk to my neighbor myself.

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
I wouldn't call the cops without first talking to the neighbor. It might bother me if it blocked my vision, or was an eye sore, but I would still go to the neighbor first. Some people do take great pride in the curb appeal of their neighborhoods and do not want the flow of the street & landscaping to be blocked by an eye sore. With all the mini storgages around the town, there really is no excuse to park RV or boat in front of your house, except for prep time. Anything over a couple weeks is excessive. Now if it is in the back yard and not visible from the street, no problem.

·
Premium Member
18,804 Posts
The City of Sterling Heights has an ordinance that you cannot have a boat or RV parked in your driveway longer than 72 hours that is within than 8 feet to the sidewalk. I had a neighbor that kept calling the Mac Daily to complain NOT the city (tells ya how smrt this person is). My boat is completely legal where it is kept as the boat and truck hooked up iss till 4 feet from the sidewalk. There are times I have two boats and trucks hooked up in my driveway overnight.

Same neighbor used to complain about my truck being parked in the street in front of my house. My boat was in the driveway and my car (daily driver) was in the driveway next to the boat. She would complain that too many vehicles looked bad, that that if people are "rich enough" to afford boats and RV's thay should be able to afford storage.....HA! Now a few years later her kids cars (in various stages of rust and disrepair) are parked all over the place....do I complain? Hell no, they are kids and try to keep it to a minumum.

It all boils down to what your cities ordinances are. If it is required to move every 72 hours, move it a foot. It should suffice.

·
Vendor
12,824 Posts
I live in Boat Town USA. Hell yeah I can park a boat in the drive

·
Registered
3,393 Posts
As everything else- I think its a case by case matter.

I will say I am all for keeping a boat at a house. But I am MORE for my neighborhood having a clean look. Which helps the neighborhood and its value/charchter

We are fortunate to have our garages detached and located to the far rear of the lots thus giving plenty of room. My thought is as long as its behind the front of the homes line of site, it should be fair game. If we had front entry garages and then a boat went out to the sidewalk and became a hazard for site distance while driving and just stood out like a sore thumb, I would opt for storage just for consideration of the neighbors. But I would never call the cops on anyone for something terribly petty!

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
p.s. for those that didnt know I'm the neighbor with the boat in the driveway and some one elses is whining.

I guess the ord officer came by this morning and told the wife that the "girls in the office" are tired of taking phone calls for the complaints.

theres a provision for RV's and trailers (in operable condition) to be in driveways with no reasonable access to a side yard. so why not my boat? a boat in any condition on a liscened and working trailer in my view should not be a problem.

So Convincor you an extra room or four to rent out?

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
the township has been really reasonable about it. but i fear its coming to a head. I also dont store the boat in the driveway in the winter, it goes to my mother-in-law 30 miles away, too far to work on it daily but i will if I have to on weekends.

anyways.....I bought the house, its my (the banks) property, i own I should be able to do what i want (within reason). people suck. rules suck. beer is good. boating is fun. and screw the whiny people.

hmmm should I have put this in the monday rant thread?

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
QUOTE(sunsation98 @ Jul 9 2009, 04:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>As everything else- I think its a case by case matter.

I will say I am all for keeping a boat at a house. But I am MORE for my neighborhood having a clean look. Which helps the neighborhood and its value/charchter

We are fortunate to have our garages detached and located to the far rear of the lots thus giving plenty of room. My thought is as long as its behind the front of the homes line of site, it should be fair game. If we had front entry garages and then a boat went out to the sidewalk and became a hazard for site distance while driving and just stood out like a sore thumb, I would opt for storage just for consideration of the neighbors. But I would never call the cops on anyone for something terribly petty!

oh yeah there a provision for it to be behind the house but i have no access to my huge useless back yard unless I cut a back garage door and remove the winshield.

my boats not a site distance hazard and doesnt block the view of anything really. as far as sticking out like a sore thumb i think thats' an subjective opinion. I could sit out in the driveway for hours oogling the sleek lines on the boat.

·
Registered
3,638 Posts
Cut the back wall out of the garage and attach another garage. Park it inside. That's how my place is configured

I still get it out of there in the summer though. Too much of a pain to get it in and out of the driveway.

If I had a problem with a neighbor parking a boat and working on it, i'd go and tell them politely and ask them to at least not work on it at night or whatever.

·
Registered
17,155 Posts
giving you a very honest answer here...

I really hate it when people have something big in their driveways...RV..boat...covered trailer etc

but I don't hate it ENUFF to complain about it.

I'd rather it NOT be there....but if it is, it is (shrug)

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
QUOTE(sleeper @ Jul 9 2009, 05:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Cut the back wall out of the garage and attach another garage. Park it inside. That's how my place is configured

I still get it out of there in the summer though. Too much of a pain to get it in and out of the driveway.

thats the next step, but of course a project in and of itself. I was thinking just a set of barn doors on the back of the garage. wife aasked the ord. off. that this morning and he said we'd still need a privacy fence but those arent too expensive.

newbie, big is the american way!

1 - 20 of 35 Posts