Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any recomendations for a good vinyl seat cleaner and protectant. Also have some mildew that has to be eliminated. Any help would be appreciated. And while I asking questions how about carpet cleaners. Any preferred product?

·
Registered
9,469 Posts
use Zep Heavy Duty Degreaser. make sure its the purple, not the red, and dilute as the bottle says. id use 303 for the protectant

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
I use Davis (?) super tuff as a cleaner. West Marine carries it. (I think its called Davis). 303 as a protectant.

I'am sure there are better cleaners out there. Maybe Hammer, XO'S or Bill272/freckles will give up their secrets.

·
Registered
9,469 Posts
Home Depot, but im sure Lowes has it too....

·
Registered
3,469 Posts
I've used Clorox cleaner with bleach and a soft bristle brush and scrubed all the seats down and hosed em off. It works good and really makes em white gettin the dirt out of the grain too. Now I know it may be very very bad for the material and the stitching so thats why I only do it a couple times a year, like first clean up and mid season. Other than that Just use the car wash soap and deck brush and soap up the whole cockpit and and floor and hose it all out, propping the cushions up on end when done to dry. May be overkill but I'm just a clean freak and like that pure white clean look.

·
Registered
9,469 Posts
QUOTE(boatmonkey @ Apr 15 2004, 04:56 PM)I clean with good old Krazy Kleen and protect with Armor All.
careful of Armor All, it can dry out the vinyl

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
When I worked at a golf course doing cart maintenance we used Wesley's Bleach White on the seats. Worked it in with a brush and rinse. I will also vote for 303 vinyl protector. It is the ONLY one that most vinyl tonneau cover manufactures will recommend. Some will even void the warranty if Armor All is used.

·
Registered
47 Posts
3M makes a full line of marine cleaning products. If you use the All Purpose Cleaner once, you'll be back to get a bigger size bottle. It's the best cleaner I've ever used. I also use it for my floors at home... carpet and vinyl, windows, my eyeglasses, you name it I've cleaned it with this stuff. Rarely do I use it full strength, a little goes a long way. If the mildew is real bad that's a full strength job. My boat sat covered to three years, health problems, and the whole boat was covered with mildew when I took the shrinkwrap off. Last spring, All Purpose Cleaner, little or no elbow greese and the boat looks like new.

·
Registered
3,406 Posts
QUOTE(millertime166 @ May 4 2004, 02:38 PM)3M makes a full line of marine cleaning products. If you use the All Purpose Cleaner once, you'll be back to get a bigger size bottle. It's the best cleaner I've ever used. I also use it for my floors at home... carpet and vinyl, windows, my eyeglasses, you name it I've cleaned it with this stuff. Rarely do I use it full strength, a little goes a long way. If the mildew is real bad that's a full strength job. My boat sat covered to three years, health problems, and the whole boat was covered with mildew when I took the shrinkwrap off. Last spring, All Purpose Cleaner, little or no elbow greese and the boat looks like new.
I agree about the 3M cleaner, but your post made me laugh. It made me think of the movie My Big Fat Greek Wedding where the old man uses Windex for everything from Zits to Cologne

·
Registered
47 Posts
Never used the 3M for either... but it just may work!! I'm surprised you didn't say I sound like an add for the stuff. That's what I usually hear.

·
Registered
207 Posts
QUOTE(millertime166 @ May 12 2004, 07:18 PM)Never used the 3M for either... but it just may work!! I'm surprised you didn't say I sound like an add for the stuff. That's what I usually hear.
check out meguires products! they make a heavy duty vinyl cleaner, I think it"s number 39. Just spray it on and a little scrub brushing and your seats will look like new !

1 - 15 of 15 Posts