Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to replace the vinyl stripes on my boat. Does anyone know where I can buy a Tenco Stripe Eliminator? 3m sells their lasr disk to remove stripes, but Power Boat Reports said the Tenco one is better. Not only that the company is located in Birmingham.
Thanks.
Bigwake

·
Registered
512 Posts
Did you try to contact them to see where they are sold? Not sure if this contact info is good but here it is:

Tenco Industries Inc
728 Graefield Court
Birmingham MI 48009

248-792-6001
toll-free: 1-800-343-3776

email: [email protected]

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info. You just saved me alot of work. I got about 4'
off using a hair dryer and a scraper. The problem is the adhesive didn't come off with it. I'am going to give them a call on Monday.

·
Registered
206 Posts
The stripes on my 1987 30' Sea Ray were faded and cracked. Tango 7 removed and applied new strips. Brian used a drill motor with a hard rubber wheel to remove the stripes without damage to the gel coat. Ask Brian where he got the rubber wheel.

G

·
I've heard that you can get the rubber wheel attachment at auto paint supply stores. If you just need to get adhesive off your boat, I use acetone. It will soften paint, but will not harm gelcoat.

·
12,052 Posts
We did about 4 boats last year at metro with the 3m wheel and a drill motor. Available at paint supply stores.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I got ahold of Tenco on Monday and their sending me out two wheels. I ordered two just in case. It was $19.95 for a wheel with the adapter for the drill and $15.00 for just the wheel. The cheapest I could find the 3m wheel for was $55.00 plus $6.95 for the adapter.
Thanks for the response.

·
LSC Raft Moderator
1,472 Posts
QUOTE(Bigwake @ Mar 2 2004, 05:47 PM)I got ahold of Tenco on Monday and their sending me out two wheels. I ordered two just in case. It was $19.95 for a wheel with the adapter for the drill and $15.00 for just the wheel. The cheapest I could find the 3m wheel for was $55.00 plus $6.95 for the adapter.
Thanks for the response.
I paid $22.00 for the 3M with both parts

·
Registered
75 Posts
3m makes a couple differant stripe remover tools, a large one for bigger stripes that you have to attach to a large variable speed buffer and a small one that hooks up to a drill motor for detailing or pinstripes .. the tool takes the toil out of the job..
never used a tenco, would like to see how it compares to my 3m's
lacquer thinner works on the glue residue

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The price I got on the 3m was for their large wheel they call it LASR {large area stripe remover} I believe. I got the Tenco ones today. They shipped them out pretty quick. I ordered them Monday after noon. They're only 3.5" across. I hope two will be enough to do the job. I'am hoping they'll remove the glue also. I got a 4' section of the stripe off last week-end. The vinyl came off but the glue stayed.
If anyone else is interested they shipped from Ferro Industries on Union Lake Road in Mt. Clemens.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Tried the vinyl stripe removers today. They worked great. If anyone ever needs to remove the stripes off your boat these are the way to go. They took the stripe and glue right off. The only problem is their not very big so it's going to take more than one to do the job.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts