Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Eaton007 (Bob) purchased a 32' Bayliner in Bay City with twin 350's. We plan on bringing the boat back on Friday. I volunteered to tag along since I have experience boating around the Caseville and Port Austin area, but never been in Saginaw Bay. Can you tell us anything other then the obvious, gps, charts and continuous fluid checks? Anything hazardous to look for?

We are running a cruiser style boat with twin 350's, if we run at 3K rpm's, how long will it take, and how much fuel will be consumed?

My guess is 5-7 hours and a full tank of gas (200 gallons) at a cursing speed of 25-28 mph.

Anything to make our voyage more enlightening would be appreciated.

·
Premium Member
18,804 Posts
Rob,

I am pretty familiar with the Bay. It is extremely low and can be dangerous in a craft that size if you dont know where you are going. A good chart and some course plotting is in order. Heck I beached a bass boat there a few weekends ago four times....lol

There is an area south of the Charity Islands that you will need to look out for called the Middle Grounds. Rock and sand with a mean depth of about 5.5 feet. Steer clear of this area and you should be fine. Heading from Bay City I would certainly stay to the north side of the Middle Grounds and go WAY around the charities to the North.

Coming out of the Saginaw River Channel from Bout No. 1 go 213 degrees for 16 miles to the Gravely Shoal Light. Then 194 degrees for 7 miles to Green Bouy "1" off of Whitestone Point. Then 080 degrees for 34 miles past the Port Austin Reef Light you will be 12 miles NNW of the Pte Aux Baurques Light. Now head 134 degrees for 28 miles you will be ENE of Harbor Beach. Then 180 degrees for 57 miles to the entrance of the St Clair River Channel. You should be able to get home from there.

This information was gathered in minutes using the Charts Anywhere Feature on the home page. The courses are marked when you are on the proper zoom level and scale. You can save alot of time and miles with prudent use of the charts and a depth finder to stay in shallower water (10-20 feet) without problems.

Sounds like a fun trip.

Here are some GPS coordinates I found on a Fishing HotSpots Map I have:

Saginaw River Light Bouy No. 13 (midway in the channel leading out of Bay City) - N43.44.685 W83.46.345

Saginaw River Light Bouy No.1 (last bouy outbound from Bay City in channel) - N43.48.404 W83.42.045

Gravelly Shoal Light - N44.01.204 W83.32.305

Port Austin Reef Light - N44.04.909 W82.58.905

You could go directly thru these points except for the Gravelly Shoal to Port Austin Reef Light. You would lmost hit the Charity Islands. Use your depth finder to stay west and north of the islands and you should be fine.

Mini

·
Registered
220 Posts
QUOTE(John Maniaci @ Jun 11 2003, 01:30 AM)It is extremely low and can be dangerous in a craft that size if you dont know where you are going.

Thanks for the info Mini. We will be leaving from Hoyles Marina, which is in Linwood. Does anyone know any cheap places to fill up before we leave? 205 gallons X $$ =

·
Premium Member
7,443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Mini. Time to study the charts!

·
Registered
220 Posts
Rob, If you need any help studding the charts, let me know. There should be a C-Map card for the chart plotter for Lake Huron which may help too.

·
Premium Member
7,443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
When you do the sea trial on Thursday, ask the previous owner to give you quick run down on how to use that thing. He may have the course already plotted.

·
Registered
220 Posts
I plan to get a run down on the GPS, chartplotter and radar. I'll aslo be sure to ask if he has the course plotted, but I don't think he has venture down to Lake St. Clair before so I'm guessing not. He probably has something to Port Huron though which would probably be enough since you probably know the rest of the way.

·
Premium Member
7,443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You got it!!!

·
Premium Member
7,443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Eaton007 (Bob) was unable to the test run the boat today due to bad weather. We will depart from Linwood Michigan in Saginaw Bay on Saturday morning around 10am.

Wish us sunny weather and calm seas.

·
LSCN Sponsor
5,507 Posts
Good luck, guys. Have a safe trip.

·
Premium Member
7,443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Don't forget the camera!!!!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts