Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner

Wake Wave

2K views 11 replies 9 participants last post by  SKUZA 
#1 ·
Ok- we got a little wet yesterday going thru a good size wake. I cleared the first wave of the wake fine but not the second. I did not swamp the boat but had a ton of spray over the bow. So the only thing I can figure is that I was going a bit to slow to clear the second wave. Just wondering what the best way to handle this type of situation in the future.

I don't want to be a U-boat commander.

See less See more
#2 ·
probably depends on your boat size.
Over time I have learned to judge them pretty well, and slow down if they look big and spaced badly. I usually hit them at an angle.

#3 ·
Trim you outdrive in and point the pointy end of your boat directly at the waves. If it's bigger than you wanna take on plane, just slow down and ride it out. Another alternative that can be fun is to hit the wave on an angle like Spacelord said, but hit it at an angle and speed so that you can "ride the wave". If you slip off of the crest, you'll gently fall off the back or slide down the front. It takes a bit of practice, but that's the fun of it.

#4 ·
it definately takes practice, but you learn quick. Once in a while, even in a 27 footer I get some nice spray if I hit a big wake wrong.
Most wake I find it best to hit them a little bit off of perpendicular.

#5 ·
Yup- I did take the wake straight on and in retrospect probably too slow. On our 24 ft'r the bow was just starting to come down off the first wave and hit the second wave. I figure less than 6 ft between the waves. It seemed most of the water went over the boat instead of in it.

Thanks for the insight!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.