Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4,514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i am looking for a charter for lake st clair to show me how to drift or troll for walleye i havent caught one since may when using a jig fishing the shores. I dont want a charter where i just real in the fish i wanna be part of everything so i can see what i am doing wrong

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
I would recommend asking around here for an open seat. Im sure there are plenty of people who would be more than willing to teach you the ropes, and it would probably only cost you some gas money and maybe a few beers, lol. Just a suggestion.

·
Registered
4,514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i am open to anything i have a boat its not well equiped. i have tried everything with this drifting and trolling and cant get it down. Last night i tried grass island in the channel got a silver bass then went to metro/400 and a smallie and a sheaphead

·
LSCN Sponsor since 12/07
2,539 Posts
Walleye Mike could help you out with a guide trip. He comes around here quite a bit.

·
Registered
67 Posts
take the one to two hour trip to Saginaw Bay or Lake Erie, it is well worth it unless you want to start chugging the North Channel by Deckers or the Detroit and St. Clair Rivers by whippin or handlining. A lot less A$$HOLES in scarabs as well, you just need to look out for the freighters. Water temp is 6-10 degrees behind in Erie because all of the East and North winds. Don't waste your frustration on LSC unless you are willing to run to the Hoser side.

·
Registered
3,633 Posts
Steve, its sounds like you have been fishing the wrong waters. I've been out a few times and caught mostly junk with a couple eyes here and there. Invest in a Canadian license and get ready to spend a ton on gas. Using in line planer boards, getting your bait away from the boat has helped out a few people I keep in contact with. When it comes to fishing confidence is key, you have to trust that your presentation will catch fish! I am no expert on LSC as I have only fished the lake for a short time. I do however listen to the ones that are willing to share information and keep a open mind.

If the weather holds out I may be in for a afternoon trip Friday! I will need a rider, give me a ring if your available. All I ask is that you pitch in for gas since my boat guzzles it. I am sure we will catch fish, whether or not its the target species is another story....

586 854 5522

Ryan

·
Registered
297 Posts
I agree its tough to just target walleye this time of year. Ive been getting 2 or 3 every time out in front of ginos but believe me its a real mixed bag. For every wally i catch in a day i prolly catch 20 other fish...gills, bass, perch, sheephead, rockbass, pike. I can tell you this much from my own personal experience in years past when i would hit one wally id mark the spot on my gps and if i didnt get another strike within 10 minutes i could go back and work that same area over again and pick up a few more fish out of the school... not the case this year. It seems to me with the weather being the way it has been that some fish finished the spawn earlier and later than others and they seemed to all have a mind of there own doing there own thing. there was no real consistancy in the fish movement and very small schools if any. There are def fish to be caught on the american side but dont beat yourself up if you are having a hard time with them. like someone else said ddont pay for a charter on lsc for walleye you'll be able to find someone on here that can help you out. If you really wanted to go on a charter id go on erie, but i dont know how much thats gunna help you much as far as picking up tips for lsc as ive fished erie for eyes and its a different lake with different tactics. deeper water, less weeds, more open water trolling with boards pulling body baits or spoons with dipsys. dont get me wrong i love walleye fishing that way but its just hard to do the same things in lsc as in erie. talk and fish with guys that are having success and put it all together to form your own arsinal. Good luck!

·
Registered
4,514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i have decide that i am going to go with and bring with me other people but it seems my problem is i am fishing the wrong waters like you said i believe that i will go back to the north channel and try it out if it doesnt work i will be asking how to fish for and handle the ski's so they can be safely released. its just that catching all those wally's in may was so much fun.

could i take my 16 ft tri hull on saginaw or erieor are the waters to rough

·
Registered
297 Posts
I havent done enough fishing on saginaw to tell you but erie it should be ok. Erie as everyone knows can become very nasty but like always just use your head and if the conditions are to tough just stay in. theres been times where ive been out 10 miles perch fishing and the lake was like glass. brest bay is usually safe and a good start.

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
QUOTE(RJT @ Jun 17 2009, 10:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Steve, its sounds like you have been fishing the wrong waters. I've been out a few times and caught mostly junk with a couple eyes here and there. Invest in a Canadian license and get ready to spend a ton on gas. Using in line planer boards, getting your bait away from the boat has helped out a few people I keep in contact with. When it comes to fishing confidence is key, you have to trust that your presentation will catch fish! I am no expert on LSC as I have only fished the lake for a short time. I do however listen to the ones that are willing to share information and keep a open mind.

If the weather holds out I may be in for a afternoon trip Friday! I will need a rider, give me a ring if your available. All I ask is that you pitch in for gas since my boat guzzles it. I am sure we will catch fish, whether or not its the target species is another story....

586 854 5522

Ryan

if you dont wanna use your boat cause of weather id be willing to troll the mile roads for skis. i can get down to walleye speed with a drift sock but makes for some hard steering if windy. i need to get 2 small ones,1 for each side,currently using 1 large sock off the pulpit and letting it drag under the boat a pain in the arse.plus im allrdy set up for skis

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
A guy at work was just telling me how he took a charter for walleye on LSC last weekend. I asked why LSC and he really didn't know just had fished LSC in the past. Anyway, they fished all day and caught 1 walleye. Nothing against LSC but if you want to get the feel for walleye fishing go where the fish are. I think RJT said it best about confidence being key. You are probably doing everything right but there most likely are just not a lot of fish out there. Go where the fish are, get a program together and then try to incorporate it into what you are doing on LSC. I think of it this way...... If i wanted to catch musky i wouldn't go to erie. Of course Erie has musky but I would imagine not too many people target them. If you want to catch musky you go where the fish are and we all know the best chance you have to catch one is in LSC.

Pick your days and your boat is fine on any of those waters. I was 12-13 miiles out on erie this past weekend and i bet LSC had bigger waves just from the boat traffic. You can stay in Brest Bay and still catch fish no more than a mile out. Same thing in Sag Bay. I have been out many miles into the bay and on some days I am only 1-2 miles from the launch. Just like any other big piece of water you have to respect it. Be careful, keep in tune with the weather and you will be alright.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Lake Erie starting up presentation

Fixed planar boards with clips. Run boards out each side three times the length of the boat, in your case approx 50 ft. When setting lines into fixed boards run one side with purple green or orange mini discs with 4 ft between the disc and spoon. Mix your spoons but try and get ahold of 2.5" - 3" streaks in the copper and orange variety, or something with copper and any type of yellow, black and red paint. On planar board A, port side, run the discs back 10 bars on level wind reels that have a 6' per pass lead. You will probably be fishing in 18-25' of water in Ohio waters where i have trolled thru boats much less than the 16' tri-hull you are looking to go in. On the opposite side, board b or starboard, same set-up just double the leads to 20 bars. You need to fish multiple columns in the water and once you have a presentation that they want, go for it. You can mix up the spoons but copper is the best bait in Erie waters. When the fishing is in Michigan waters, you do the same set up just with Storm Wiggle Warts (Originals) and less on the leads. This will pull good fish for you. The trick is to buy used planar releases as they can get quite expensive. As soon as you have a fish release the snap, freespool the lines still attached to the board with the clickers on, this will allow you to fight the fish and at the same time avoid any tangles. Make sure that all the lines on one board are within 10' of eachother for the set-back distance, if not then you will be fighting tangles all day. I guarantee this will work for, learn to fish the down wind first and get your speed right, just look at the spoon in the water boatside before releasing back, and when you are letting lines out, make sure you keep constant pressure on the minidiscs as they tend to get tangled if constant pressure is not applied. What else am I forgetting?

·
Registered
2,361 Posts

·
Registered
4,514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I was in the wrong water i went out yesterday got a fish finder rod holders and a gps then took two guys from here out with me to the dq launch soule caught one as soon as we started fishing we had a late start and they stopped hitting at dark. now ive gotta get out there earlier

1 - 15 of 15 Posts