Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4,341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A friend and I fished the Saginaw River on Saturday, the 29th, and can confirm that the eyes are in but running small. We caught plenty of fish but only one keeper. A good number of boats fished in front of Hooter's and also in front of Wicks Park. We saw quite of few fish boated but not many were 15" or greater keepers. Winds variable in the 20 to 30 MPH range made boat control difficult. Water temps on my graph measured about 38 degrees F and the water was it's usual very stained.

In talking to locals that had fished on Saturday, in the rain and snow, they did better then those of us that fished on Sunday. The general feeling of the locals that I talked to seemed to be that the best is about to happen any day now. The water temps are just about perfect for the larger fish to come into the river to feed. I hope to get in a few more outings up there. If you go be sure to dress very warmly especially if these winds keep up.

Jim

·
Registered
4,341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I have been told by other retirees that you occasionally loose track of what day of the week it is. I am beginning to believe it. The rain and snow day was on Friday, not Saturday. I think Saturday was the day I was fishing. Is today Sunday already?

Sorry for the error,

Jim

·
LSCN Sponsor
2,482 Posts
That's all right. As long a you don't start to forget how to get home, you'll be ok.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I fished in the "fall classic" on the Saginaw River over the weekend. Glad to say my partner and I won the tournament with 25.88 lbs. But I would agree with what was said. I fished until 10:00 on Friday and boated 12 walleye all over four pounds. It was raining and snowing but the fish were biting. It seems when the sun is shining, the fish don't bite as well and the fish are a bit on the small side.

·
Registered
4,341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Congratulations gofish, winning that tournment is quite an accomplishment when competing with all the locals that live on that water when the eyes are in. Do you have any idea how many were in the tournament?

I saw some guys trolling last weekend, were you and your partner vertical jigging for the most part? When I was fishing I seemed to do best on a vertically jigged whistler jig tipped with the largest minnow I could dig out of my livewell.

I am thinking of going back up tomorrow afternoon. Looks like the day may be similar to last Friday weather wise if the forecast holds out.

Jim

·
Registered
33 Posts
We were not vertically jigging for them, we were casting. As hard as the wind was blowing we found that the walleye were suspended off the bottom.

Try to stay away from everyone else. There are many small fish in the river right now and when there are alot of boats they are usually catching small fish.

I never waste my time in front of Hooters. Thats where everyone usually goes to catch fish but the fish are always small. You catch catch keepers there but you have to weed through them.

I try to fish the shallower water only because no one expects the fish to be there.

Good luck

1 - 6 of 6 Posts