Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for some walleye trolling rods for in-line boards and bottom bouncers.
Do you guys have any for sale , and what is a good but reasonable set-up to buy
in your(s) opinion.

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
QUOTE(kingkrm @ Jul 14 2009, 10:07 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Looking for some walleye trolling rods for in-line boards and bottom bouncers.
Do you guys have any for sale , and what is a good but reasonable set-up to buy
in your(s) opinion.

You are going to need heavier rods for inline boards. I like to run light rods and light line and that is why I run the big boards. I think the action of the rod is just your preference, but just like anything else I would spend the money on the reels and go cheaper on the rods. The diawa linecounters work well for me on walleye and not too expensive.

·
Premium Member
16,460 Posts
I run Okuma 15's and 7' Whuppin sticks
They work excellent.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
QUOTE(makowish @ Jul 14 2009, 11:54 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I run Okuma 15's and 7' Whuppin sticks
They work excellent.

Ditto on the Okumas w/linecounters

Cabelas 7' depthmaster series, all around great setup for my $$
gt

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
You really need line counter reels - if you are going to buy the equip, may as well spend the extra $ and get the counters.

Rods, well that's another animal. I have fished in some tourneys and do lots of casual fishing/scouting with some tourney guys and they use anything from 10' two piece ML rods, to 5' one piece M rods.

If it were me, I'd buy some 8' ML or L rods and some Accudepth line counter reels. Load them with 10# mono or braid and you are all set. Keep the drag just heavy enough not to slip, engage the clicker, and have at it!

I like a longer rod to help with line clearance of the outside board rod with the inside board. Once you start trolling with boards you will understand what I am trying to say.

·
Registered
382 Posts
I use my downrigger rods and line counters for most of my walleye trolling. The 9'6" rods are soft enough to detect perch bites. They work great for all my trolling needs.

I use Shakespeare tidewater reels, the rods are just basic downrigger rods, not very expensive.

Draino

1 - 6 of 6 Posts