Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
You think I write a lot, you should hear me talk! In a moment of weakness, Randy has agreed to let me do a seminar or two next Saturday at the D&R Sports spring fishing show.

Friday (when most smart people are going) he has an All-Star lineup (I bet Mini lets me slip that one through) of Shaw Grigsby! Davey Hite! Jimmy Houston! And the NUMBER ONE bass tournament angler in the known-free world - Kevin VanDam! Along with recently rich bass pro David Dudley and Mark Romanack for those guys who actually fish for walleye on purpose.

Friday is huge! Unfortunately, four of the pros just found out they have to be at the site of the first new E50 tournament on Easter Sunday which means they are splitting Friday evening for their various homes to get their stuff and head across country for the big E50 (lucky bums). Bummer for the guys who can come to the show only on Saturday.

That now leaves David Dudley and Mark Romanack for Saturday. Being a professional 'bench-warmer' I know when to holler 'coach, put me in! I'm ready to go.' So, when Mark and David's throats need a rest, I may actually be allowed to fill the downtime. I can't wait. Barring anything strange (like Randy coming to his senses), I should be hanging out at D&R all day.

There's no entry cost. Just come in, look at tackle, talk to reps and listen to the pros! (Or come on Saturday and heckle me. I like a good heckling.) I realize it's a looonnng drive for many of you, but we have some West Michigan readers and maybe some of you will be bored otherwise. No seminar times set yet, but should be very shortly.

(Mini, I won't post anything about just sales or whatever. I hope you see this particular post more a public service to anglers who'd like to see free seminars by bigtime bass pros or just get a warning so they don't see me instead by accident
).

·
LSCN Sponsor
5,472 Posts
Dan you should use your influence to get me in there doing a seminar on the Muskie in St Clair. I do really know how to Bass fish you know and I do know where they are. Tight Lines and save some for me. Bob

·
LSCN Sponsor
5,472 Posts
OOP'S forgot myself. Next Saturday I', speaking at Gander Mtn. in Utica plus it is my youngest Daughters Birthday so my time has been called for. If any of you are in town stop by at 2 P.M. and say hey or whatever. T C Bob

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Darn Bob! I had the phone in my hand to call Randy... and then I remembered Hey! It's 1:46 AM! Randy's probably sleeping!

·
Registered
10,622 Posts
What city is this in.

h2o<---thanks

·
Registered
151 Posts
driving to detroit from kalamazoo takes me 2hrs on the nose. It is not as long of a drive as you would think. I do it once a week during the summer. if you have never been to a D and R open house it is not something u will want to miss. I promise.

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'll post seminar schedules as soon as Randy can nail them down. The new national tournament schedules are killers to work around.

·
Registered
398 Posts
im in kalanothintodoo right now (kalamazoo) dnr is a good place around here not much of a drive either. id go but im movin back home that friday. so ill have to miss it on another note ill see you saturday bob.
later

·
Registered
440 Posts
The D&R show is always worthwhile. They have top-notch speakers and lots of equipment reps to answer questions. Like Josh said, it takes about 2 hours or so to get there from the Detroit area.

Also, bassers might want to bring their boats if they go and fish one of the early season catch and release lakes on that side of the state; Muskegon or Hardy Dam. I had the good fortune to fish Hardy for the first time last year and was very impressed by the great scenery and great smallmouth fishing. It'll present a challenge to those who are used to LSC, however. Being an impoundment, Hardy is a lot different than LSC. You might have to fish some deep water to land some quality smallmouth. It's a great opportunity to try some new techniques.

If I remember correctly, Hardy is about 45 minutes to an hour north of D&R, off of 131.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Hardy Pond is 40 miles north of Grand Rapids so almost 2 hours north of Kalamazoo

Take US 131 to the north side of Grand Rapids and then take M-37 north. Follow M-37 through through Newaygo and continue north for 5 miles. At the Villa Mar motel, turn right or east. Go east for 5 miles and you will be at the Hardy Pond launch. The parking lot is across the road from the launch.

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
cameraguy - the ramp we launched at was easy to get to if I remember right. It was off of US 131, but I can't remember if it was exit 125 or 131.

I'm thinking exit 131 because I remember talking about the little town of Stanwood and that is further up the lake. That was a decent ramp with decent parking and quick access to the upper end of the lake. It's still not too bad a drive for a some good smallmouth fishing on a scenic lake.

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The D&R seminar schedule is out at Seminars.

Here's the schedule right now. You might want to check back later in the week just in case it needs to be adjusted again due to the pros schedules.

Seminar Schedule for Spring Show April 9th & 10th

Friday, April 9th

10:00 A.M. Kevin VanDam--Bass Fishing
11:15 A.M. Davy Hite--Bass Fishing
12:30 P.M. John Gray--Bass Fishing
1:45 P.M. David Dudley--Bass Fishing
3:00 P.M. Mark Romanack--Walleye Fishing
4:00 P.M. Jimmy Houston--Bass Fishing
5:15 P.M. Bill Bale--Salmon Fishing
6:30 P.M. Shaw Grigsby

Saturday, April 10th

9:30 A.M. David Dudley--Bass Fishing
10:30 A.M. Mark Romanack--Walleye Fishing
11:30 A.M. John Gray--Bass Fishing
12:30 P.M. Stuart Warnes--Reel Care
1:30 P.M. Dan Kimmel--Bass Fishing
2:30 P.M. Mark Romanack--Walleye Fishing
3:30 P.M. Greg Mangus--Bass Fishing

·
Registered
129 Posts
Dan, you may be correct but I just do not remember a launch site from US 131...I grew up 5 miles from the lake plus drove 131 many times while going to Ferris...maybe it is a new launch site in the last few years.

I am going to fish the Pond this spring with Joe from Laketown...try out some new jigs.

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
Larry, the ramp we launched at had parking up the hill in the trees. It wasn't paved if I remember right. Some kind of park. Two decent concrete ramps. It was way up the lake. It was in the end of a short channel next to wide bend in the lake, although the channel heading towards the dam was narrower.

I think the ramp you are talking about it much closer to the dam. It probably just matters which end of the lake you want to start on and where you live for which ramp is most convenient.

Actually, there's a bridge at exit 131 so maybe it's even the same ramp we are talking about based on your description on how to get there? The only reason I don't think so is that I seem to remember Brian saying something about another ramp a little closer to the dam that had parking across a street. I remember our parking being just up the hill in basically a flattened opening in surrounded by trees.

There were a lot of bass boats at the ramp we launched at.

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well there you go. Now we have two good ramps to choose from. Alright.

I don't know if MUCC has a map of Hardy. They don't list one on the web?

I think the Sportsmans outfit has a map - here's one possibility: Sportsmans Connection - Hardy.

That's about the only one I can find. It seems like someone else would have one. I'm just not aware of it.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Hey DJ, I will be there to hear you on Saturday. Look forward to meeting you and hearing what you have to say. For those who have not been there. D&R is where all of us West side guys go when we need anything for fishing. Top notch guys and very knowledgeable.

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Awright chewy! Looking forward to it. It should be a fun day. I was thinking about combing my hair like Jimmy Houston and seeing how many guys could tell the difference, but I just can't pull of the goofy giggle of his.

I haven't picked an exact topic yet. I'm waiting to hear what the other guys are talking about and Randy has some requests (he probably out to be doing seminars too - I'd sit through his - but he's not).

1 - 20 of 22 Posts