Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9,917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We live in Harrison Twp and have a piece of furniture that we need to toss out. Tomorrow is garbage day.

This is the first time Ive put something at the curb... do I just put it out by the garbage cans and waste management will pick it up, or do I have to call them first.....?

·
Registered
28,072 Posts
Waste Management is supposed to pick up large items with no problems, as long as it is not something like a refigerator or water heater.
In Eastpointe there is no need to call for special pick-up, however a water heater heater must have an "OK to remove tag" supplied by the city when you purchase a permit. Refigerators must have a similar tag showing they are empty of freon.
Regular bulk items like furnature is no problem.
YMMV

·
Registered
9,917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well its a large sofa.

And we pay for our trash removal here.... so Im thinking there might be different rules (to our disadvantage, of course).

Do you think they'd take a couch, or would they call a special pick up or something?

·
Registered
795 Posts
In Shelby we used to have them I think? Now it is Allied. Anyways big things like stoves, couches, ect you would call them and they will tell you to put it at the curb and a special truck gets it. It seems like they need a couple day notice as one time they told me to wait till next week. I still put it out and it was gone, assuming it was the trash guys that took it. Oh and no extra charge.

·
Registered
28,072 Posts
Gee, I dunno, if this is the first thing you've ever put on the curb, they might be frightened

Might want to call the city first if you don't have a regular pickup funded by your tax dollars.
Toss it out there and see what happens, if it's not picked up, call the city and inquire.

BTW, you're getting rid of a broken phone are ya?

·
Registered
9,917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Pocket Change! I will call them first thing tmo.

·
Registered
9,917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
QUOTE(Big Dog @ Jul 2 2009, 08:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Gee, I dunno, if this is the first thing you've ever put on the curb, they might be frightened

Might want to call the city first if you don't have a regular pickup funded by your tax dollars.
Toss it out there and see what happens, if it's not picked up, call the city and inquire.

Im gonna give them a jingle tomorrow

And as long as they dont go digging in the couch cushions, they shouldnt be too frightened...LOL.

·
Registered
22,943 Posts
Reminds me of a story.

Guy wants to get rid of his old refrigerator. Sets it at the curb with FREE sign. After a week, it's still sitting there, so he changes the sign to $50

Looked out the window the next morning to find it stolen.

Big Dog, had no idea Eastpointe was so... Ah, never mind.

·
Registered
28,072 Posts
QUOTE(Away Point @ Jul 2 2009, 09:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Reminds me of a story.

Guy wants to get rid of his old refrigerator. Sets it at the curb with FREE sign. After a week, it's still sitting there, so he changes the sign to $50

Looked out the window the next morning to find it stolen.

Big Dog, had no idea Eastpointe was so... Ah, never mind.

Clever actually, if they don't get ya one way..

·
Registered
139 Posts
I think it depends on what the contract your city has with WM dictates. In the shores you don't have to call, just put it out to curb and they pick up with normal garbage (we actually watched a couch of ours being "eaten" by the truck, pretty funny). If HT doesn't have a contract and you pay your own, best to call first.

·
Registered
9,917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
For future reference - Harrison Township residents that hire WM for their refuge removal - to get rid of a couch, its $20 and they need a one week advance notice. I called this morning.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts