Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for some feedback on purchasing a good quality waterproof boat cover for outdoors.. Also what should I expect to pay for an 19 foot cover. I purchased a 19 foot open bow Starcraft recently and looking for a good cover.. thanks in advance!

·
Registered
528 Posts
Personally, nothing I have ever seen as far as a boat cover is 100% water proof. I've had a few covers over the years. I spent as little as $125-150 for a generic one from Bass Pro or Overtons to the $400 custom tailored fit from the manufacturer. I will say the better the cover fit, the better the water runoff was and the better protected the boat was. I have a suspender system I use now that goes from bow, over the winshield, back to the stern. I also have a manufacturer custom fit cover from Nitro. Boat is always dry. When stored outside, motor is stored down to avoid buildup in the prop, and I jack the tongue as high as it can go. Water runs right off the back. Prior to getting this $400 cover, I had one of those $150 overton blue covers that was for a fish and ski 20-21ft. It fit ok. Water ran off ok, but still sometimes settled. So I bought some of that water proof camping silicon spray from the store and sprayed the entire cover. It helped a little bit. The cover was eventually destroyed due to towing and only lasted 3 years. So far, this newer cover is holding up much much better. Also, towing without the cover on seems to drastically extend the life of the cover. I had one cheapy silver one from Bass Pro and it didnt even last the summer even though it said towable right on the box. Right, it was towable, for about 20 miles on the freeway. It was cheap.

Now, you can also opt for a complete custom snap on cavas cover. My dad had one done that is practically waterproof it seems like. His cost upwards of $1,000 I think he told me and its the strongest cover I have ever seen. You can get them complete with snaps all the way round and pole systems, etc. His is even a mooring cover with thick velcro flaps to access the cleats etc. to tie up the boat. He trailers it long distances with the cover on (2years old now). And he also never has his boat shrink wrapped anymore. Cover survives two winters. I thought he was crazy, but he got what he paid for I think. I'll see if I can snap some pics of it this weekend.

The key is to have it tight and let there be no where that water can settle. So using poles as supports, using the windshield, suspenders like I have etc are some of the better methods.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
QUOTE(Nitro225Optimax @ Jul 27 2009, 10:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Personally, nothing I have ever seen as far as a boat cover is 100% water proof. I've had a few covers over the years. I spent as little as $125-150 for a generic one from Bass Pro or Overtons to the $400 custom tailored fit from the manufacturer. I will say the better the cover fit, the better the water runoff was and the better protected the boat was. I have a suspender system I use now that goes from bow, over the winshield, back to the stern. I also have a manufacturer custom fit cover from Nitro. Boat is always dry. When stored outside, motor is stored down to avoid buildup in the prop, and I jack the tongue as high as it can go. Water runs right off the back. Prior to getting this $400 cover, I had one of those $150 overton blue covers that was for a fish and ski 20-21ft. It fit ok. Water ran off ok, but still sometimes settled. So I bought some of that water proof camping silicon spray from the store and sprayed the entire cover. It helped a little bit. The cover was eventually destroyed due to towing and only lasted 3 years. So far, this newer cover is holding up much much better. Also, towing without the cover on seems to drastically extend the life of the cover. I had one cheapy silver one from Bass Pro and it didnt even last the summer even though it said towable right on the box. Right, it was towable, for about 20 miles on the freeway. It was cheap.

Now, you can also opt for a complete custom snap on cavas cover. My dad had one done that is practically waterproof it seems like. His cost upwards of $1,000 I think he told me and its the strongest cover I have ever seen. You can get them complete with snaps all the way round and pole systems, etc. His is even a mooring cover with thick velcro flaps to access the cleats etc. to tie up the boat. He trailers it long distances with the cover on (2years old now). And he also never has his boat shrink wrapped anymore. Cover survives two winters. I thought he was crazy, but he got what he paid for I think. I'll see if I can snap some pics of it this weekend.

The key is to have it tight and let there be no where that water can settle. So using poles as supports, using the windshield, suspenders like I have etc are some of the better methods.thanx a ton nitro! been seeing custom covers from 250-500. just looking for one that ican leave on outside and not always thinking about how much water could be destroying this boat. thanx again

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
I had a custom cover made of Top Gun material and it`s waterproof and tough as nails. I had it made at Covers And Tarps in Westland and paid $400 for a cover for a Starcraft Pro-Elite 2000, (20 footer). Had it made in april of 05 and it`s still like new with the boat being stored outside including over winter. Never had a hint of a leak. Call Dennis at Covers And Tarps. He does fantastic work and I recomend him highly. In Westland but worth the drive.
Covers And Tarps
1432 Edwin
Westland, Mi 48186
Ph # 734-728-0646

Attachments

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
I just had one done for the big boat. Made from Aqualon. Many colors to chose from. The guy can make one for any boat and most any color. He does it a side job from his house. Snaps and support pole included. He also make binimi tops. He did a great job and quick too (2 days) Mine was about 100 sq. ft. of material. Came to $500.
Want his number, send me a PM.

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
Get a winter cover if it stays on a trailer. You can use it all the time and it will stand up to the snow and ice. The cheaper you pay, the less your gonna get. The lighter mooring cover will last a long time if they are not subjected to ice and snow. If you just get a mooring cover, be prepared to heat shrink it or cover the whole thing in witer with a blue tarp and lots of support underneath it.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Joedaplumber,

I spoke with my father and he got his done at:

Bev's Canvas Covers
Address: 2260 Scott Lake Rd, Waterford, MI 48328
Phone: (248) 674-4492

He said he paid $1,100 (21ft deck boat) for his and they gave him a 15yr warranty on the cover. It is the best cover I have seen. He said they make two different types of covers, one with a 10yr warranty and one with a 15yr warranty. He didnt remember all of the differences, but opted for the best one he could get. I suppose it wouldnt hurt for you to at least get a quote and see what they have to offer even if it might be more than you wanted to spend. I wont see his boat until the weekend to get pics.

·
Registered
437 Posts
If your looking for something 100% waterproof for outdoor storage, you can use recycled billboard tarps. They are very thick rip stop vinyl tarps from billboards and they are very cheap. I have been using one for the last two years as a winter cover and will probably get another 3-5 years out of it. It cost a whopping $20 for a tarp around 15' X 30'. These will last for years under the worst possible conditions.

Available at:

C & C Rent All, INC.
(248) 852-4311
2287 W. Auburn Road
Rochester Hills, MI 48309

·
Registered
407 Posts
QUOTE(72larson @ Jul 28 2009, 01:01 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>madoina's in st. clair shores is about the best your gonna get but expect to pay 800-1000 for it then waterproof it every couple of years with water tight

Joe Madonia made two for my 16 ft starcraft. Expensive yes, but they work. He uses "sumbrella" canvass material. And whatever you end up getting make sure you know if it can be used for outdoor winter storeage, because most canvass are not. I just buy the tarps for winter and my canvass one lasts for many years.

·
Registered
1 Posts
QUOTE(joedaplumber @ Jul 27 2009, 08:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I am looking for some feedback on purchasing a good quality waterproof boat cover for outdoors.. Also what should I expect to pay for an 19 foot cover. I purchased a 19 foot open bow Starcraft recently and looking for a good cover.. thanks in advance!

There are many types of breathable fabrics available. The big difference in price between the cheap covers (and tarps) and the good covers is due to the breathable fabrics. Never ever cover a boat with a non-breathable cover. Condensation build-up under the cover can do lots of damage.

I have the max cover from empire its a 3 layer cover made from Tyvek developed by DuPont.

http://boat-cover-review.blogspot.com/

·
Registered
437 Posts
As I said in my earlier reply I'm using the same cover again this year. I have not had a drop of water or condensation as the tarp is suspended over the boat with 2" PVC pipes setup like a backbone down the center of the boat. The tarp is very thick and will not seal perfectly against the edging of the boat which allows it to breathe easily. Nothing pretty like some of the other covers above, but for the money it works great. I'll take pictures and post ASAP.

·
Registered
654 Posts
QUOTE(joedaplumber @ Jul 27 2009, 09:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I am looking for some feedback on purchasing a good quality waterproof boat cover for outdoors.. Also what should I expect to pay for an 19 foot cover. I purchased a 19 foot open bow Starcraft recently and looking for a good cover.. thanks in advance!

i bought the cabelas 7 yr cover w/ ratchet tite, lasted more than 7 yrs , trailers nicely, satisfied with waterproof feature, winters well, plenty of tiedowns included. i still place plastic tarp over it in winter to prevent ice pools just in case. ive been very very pleased with it. your size will run between 225.00 and 240.00

·
Registered
437 Posts
The cover is not the prettiest, I wouldn't drive it down the road, but for $20, it can't be beat. Actually the original tarp is 2 to 3 times this size, so you could get 2 to 3 covers that would last you around 8 to 10 years.

Vehicle cover Tire Wheel Plant Vehicle

Vehicle cover Wheel Tire Car Plant

Attachments

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.