Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there a website that will tell you what the waves are predicted to be???

looking out for Sunday the 25th

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
If storms are predicted, don't go. Otherwise, no problem. I've only been down in Erie a couple times and it was beautiful each trip, flat as glass, but I'm told it whips up fast in a storm.

I hope it's a pretty day for you. Then you just have to stay clear of fishing parties (don't drive on plane through the groups of charter boats you are likely to see) and keep you eye out for floats on nets (give these a wide berth). Don't worry about staying on a straight course and avoid trouble by steering well wide of any visible obstacle.

Come into the river straight on from the lake and you will be OK. I stay on the Canadian side of Grosse Ile where the river is wider than in the Trenton Channel, then on the American side of Fighting Island. Be sure to stay out in the main river off Wyandotte - there are bad rocks closer to shore called the mama judas (or something like that). Hole your nose until you get to the Ambassador Bridge and you've got it made! Then enjoy the view of Detroit and come on home.

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you for the helpful tips

The weather is calling for a chance of rain with 2-4 ft waves
let's hope they are wrong!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
QUOTE(MooseKnuckle @ Apr 22 2004, 09:37 AM)What size boat did you buy?

2-4 isn't that bad..depends on the direction.
36 silverton express (no bridge)

Hammer thinks it should handle the waves just fine
they are calling for 3-5 for Sunday now....
just kinda freaks me out

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I think we should be okay
I think we are altering our trip to got down Friday night instead of Saturday and heading to homeport MacRay on Saturday morning
weather looks a little better for Saturday

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
They are predicting 4 to 5 footers on Erie? That's a shallow lake and that means you are closer to the bottom in the troughs. I would wait for a calm day.

Of course, a 36 footer will handle those waves OK. Have fun.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Your size boat will work great in waves 2-4, even 3 - 5.

Erie is shallow, but the main portion of the lake you will be going across averages 30' You will not need to worry about the bottom.

Just make sure your radio works, you cell phone is fully charged...in close reach, and you have an extra hand held radio.

I would also run around PC for a little bit to ensure everything is working properly. You don't want to breakdown half way to the Detroit Light. There will not be a lot of boaters on the lake to come to assistance if you need help.

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thank you so so much for everyones kind words and words to the wise...

we are heading over tomorrow night
and will be coming home on Saturday- it's all set
and we will make sure everything is in working order that's a must!!!!!!!!!!

All aboard seven-eleven is makin' it's way home!!!!!!!

G

·
I'd make sure you have the necessary and USCG required equipment, especially flares. Just for that whole "not a lot of boaters on the lake" factor.

·
Registered
4,709 Posts
So, how was your trip?
We had 5-6 footers last year going to PIB in our 270 Sundancer. Took them a little hard and got bounced around a lot, but we made it safe and sound. Coming back from CP we had 2' seas and had a great cruise back home.

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
QUOTE(PyrateJim @ Apr 27 2004, 08:13 AM)So, how was your trip?
We had 5-6 footers last year going to PIB in our 270 Sundancer. Took them a little hard and got bounced around a lot, but we made it safe and sound. Coming back from CP we had 2' seas and had a great cruise back home.
We had a great time on our way home-
The water was great and the boat ran wonderful!!

We stopped at metro for a quick beer on the way home it looked like the party was just about to start since that is when the game was on.....But we had to leave!!

It's nice to be back on the water and I'm sure we will have lots of fun with all the peeps this year and to get to know more of you as well

1 - 17 of 17 Posts