Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
3,385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's been on the news lately, the ARC is asking for blood. Supplies are VERY low.

I'm a volunteer member of the American Red Cross (inactive at this time but still able to set something up). What do ya think about getting the LSCN to get something going?

We would have to be sober of course
(at least before you donate) And we need SERIOUS donors to get a blood drive going for the mobile unit to come to a location. OR we could just pick a day to go to the donor center at 11 mile and Schoenherr (sp?). There are usually 5 beds available at a time. Anyone who has been out of the country or had a recent tattoo cant donate.

Capt'n Mike, Taxman? any ideas???

·
LSCN Sponsor
5,507 Posts
I think this is a GREAT IDEA...I will help in any way I can...
I am sure we could do it at the Tin Fish or at Jack's...maybe HCN? The BRB would be great, too...after all...it is RED.

BUT I won't be able to donate blood unless it's tomorrow....
No, I am not going out of the country...he he

·
Registered
3,385 Posts
Yaaaaa Hoooooo! I was hoping I'd get at least one response! I've been a volunteer for about 2 1/2 yrs and it just cracks me up how people dodge me when I ask them to donate blood

It like I'm a telemarketer or something..I'm not trying to bash men at all, but they are the WORST avoiders!!!

What I like to do is get my best time when I donate, so far it's 4 1/2 minutes!!! Gotta drink lots of water, it makes all the difference!

The BRB was my thought too, but this is still in the idea stage, I just wanted to see if anyone would be willing first.

I dont know if it's feasible but I was thinking that SOS at Metro would be the perfect time to hold a blood drive.
It's amazing what a buzz you get after being a pint low
OK, not sure how safe that is so dont hold me to that

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
QUOTE(Dookie @ Jul 24 2003, 12:05 AM)Yaaaaa Hoooooo! I was hoping I'd get at least one response! I've been a volunteer for about 2 1/2 yrs and it just cracks me up how people dodge me when I ask them to donate blood

It like I'm a telemarketer or something..I'm not trying to bash men at all, but they are the WORST avoiders!!!

What I like to do is get my best time when I donate, so far it's 4 1/2 minutes!!! Gotta drink lots of water, it makes all the difference!

The BRB was my thought too, but this is still in the idea stage, I just wanted to see if anyone would be willing first.

I dont know if it's feasible but I was thinking that SOS at Metro would be the perfect time to hold a blood drive.
It's amazing what a buzz you get after being a pint low
OK, not sure how safe that is so dont hold me to that

4 1/2 mins to donate? that's it??? when i donated back in November it took almost 45 mins to get it from me. I guess my blood is slow.
lol

·
Registered
3,385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
QUOTE(fit chick @ Jul 24 2003, 07:40 AM)I'll give blood, just let me know when and where. I hate needles, but in this case I'll deal with it

Way to go trooper! Unless i get more responses, i think i'm just going to pick a day to go to the donor center and see who shows. Maybe we can go to Jacks for appetizers and cocktails after

·
Registered
3,385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
QUOTE(MaryJane @ Jul 24 2003, 07:37 AM)4 1/2 mins to donate? that's it??? when i donated back in November it took almost 45 mins to get it from me. I guess my blood is slow.
lol
I drink like 15 bottled waters a day (well I refill them) I always have to pee too

I'm told that's what makes my time so good. Not only that, my veins are like an addicts dream.

·
Sponsor Since 1/10
5,229 Posts
I think I have a pint or two in the fridge!!!

If I'm around, I'll donate too.

I am NINJA...watch me bleed

·
Registered
4,832 Posts
just donated a couple weeks ago , probally saw you there , at the last class for doing packs , when we had to recertify, i voulntteer too once a month , say hi to kathy kada for me , ,

·
Registered
3,385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
QUOTE(bobrob20 @ Jul 24 2003, 07:59 AM)just donated a couple weeks ago , probally saw you there , at the last class for doing packs , when we had to recertify, i voulntteer too once a month , say hi to kathy kada for me , ,
Ya i have to recertify yet. I haven't done packs in about 10 months. They usually put me at the cookie table watching for people to bleed out or pass out

·
Registered
4,832 Posts
i know first time i did was a a high school , scheew lots of kids passing out and barfing , one kid was a charecter,
he didnt want to leave the cookie table to go back to class stayed there ike 2 hours just visiting his friends cracking jokes teacher finally came and got him , lol

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
How long after a tattoo do you have to wait before you can donate?
I think I remember from highschool that you have to be over a certain weight or they won't let you donate....if this is still true what was the weight?

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
After a Tattoo it is one year of waiting til you can donate. Don't know about the weight thing. I had my last tatt in Jan this year so I am off the list til next year. I last donated last fall at the GM plant in Romulus. I fix ARC's computers at several of thier locations, so I am usually a regular donator.

·
Registered
19,233 Posts
Sorry, Dookie...I cannot
I have small red blood cells and I'm low on iron.......I'm not a good donor and it's a bummer cuz I have a rare blood type.

Hope you round up a lot of people......It's a very important cause.

·
Registered
3,385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
QUOTE(bikinigirl @ Jul 24 2003, 08:35 AM)How long after a tattoo do you have to wait before you can donate?
I think I remember from highschool that you have to be over a certain weight or they won't let you donate....if this is still true what was the weight?
~You have to weigh at least 110lbs.
~No tattoos in the last 12 months
~Generally in good health, you dont want to donate if you might have a cold coming on.
~Sharing needles, sleeping with prostitutes ect is a NO-NO
~They will check your iron and blood pressure
~It OK to donate if you're on blood pressure meds, but not if you have any other cardiac problems

·
Registered
622 Posts
I cant contribute, I am a lifetime member of the 1 dose a day of rat poison(blood thinner). Wish I could help with these things, the supply is so low right now its dangerous. Hope it gets better.

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
I think it is a good idea!!!! If you can set them up can you set one up for my class as well?

I have never given blood though. What are the requirements. I will need Capt. Mike to hold my hand!!!! I can do it, I just do not like when other people doing it to me!!! (do not take that out of context
)

·
12,052 Posts
Metro is a good idea. Snowflake can give blood when I'm done with him at the bike rack.

·
Registered
481 Posts
please count me in!!!! i've donated pretty much every 8 weeks for the past 15 years. lol, the ARC has me on speed dial and call me every 8 weeks cuz i have A neg. please make a new thread when you have a date set so we all see it, or email me or call me 586-246-4841. i usually go to the donor center, but rather hit the drives put on by peeps like us.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts