Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Formerly "FRL"
930 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is just a friendly reminder that your support is extremely desired at these all important public meetings to preserve our current catch and keep fishing season. Please make every effort to attend tonight's meeting at Gander Mountain in Novi @ 7PM. We will have petitions on site along with other valuable information. This is where we can show our solidarity on this issue. I know we all have busy schedules, but if we do not make time for these meetings, we will have plenty of time out of our tournament schedule in the following years to come. The time is now.

I hope to see you there and bring a friend.

Thanks!

Aug. 5: 7 p.m., Gander Mountain, 43825 West Oaks, Novi (25 miles)

Aug. 10: 7 PM Walli's East Motor Lodge, G-1341 South Center Rd, Flint (60 miles)

Aug. 11: 7:30 p.m., Jackson County Outdoor Club, 3550 Hart Road, Jackson (75 miles)

Aug. 12, 7:30 p.m., Caledonia Sports Club, 10721 Coldwater SE, Middleville (120 miles)

Aug. 18: 7 p.m., Chesterfield Twp., 47275 Sugarbush, Chesterfield (25 miles)

Aug. 19: 7 p.m., Van Buren Township Hall, 46425 Tyler Road, Belleville (45 miles)

Aug. 24: 7 p.m., MSU Extension Office, 1040 S. Winter St., River Raisin Room, Adrian (75 miles)

·
Registered
328 Posts
Dan was right, what a "dog and pony show"they put on. I could not believe when the head DNR guy there said "he Knows" Bringing bass back from 35 miles in Erie and releasing them in the Detroit river is bad for the fish because of mixed breeding of stocks. Did he name the study or who did it or when it was done? of course not because "he knows" UNBELIEVABLE!!!! I think the turn out was ok but could and needs to be a lot better. We definetly got the message that we are not happy and no matter how they try to spin it, we are not buying it. Great job Anthony,Dan Ron Spitler,Gerry GostenaK and all the others who spoke. (sorry I can't remember all the names).

·
Registered
467 Posts
I agree 100% with you TH...Saying "We believe" and "probably will" or "might" without significant proof for or against any of the negative effects Gary (DNR dude) made last night just isn't good enough in my mind to make ANY recommendation for a season change. If the DNR doesn't have any scientific proof showing that Michigan Bass and Michigan Waters require different regulations than any other state in the Union (since Michigan bass are unique, as stated last night), then they should conduct studies to prove so. My recommendation last night to open up new waters to CIR to study the effects (or lack of) on bass populations would be a good start to collecting Michigan-specific data. Why change the regs at all without HARD PROOF?

As for the survey they handed out last night...I'm not sure if I made my point or not, but in terms of collecting UNBIASED angler opinions, the survey does not do so. It is flawed in that not all of the 7 scenarios in the report are presented fairly, equally, and without bias. At the end of these meetings, the DNR can collect their survey data and state "A majority of anglers polled chose Scenario 3 (or 4 or 5 or 6 for that matter) so we (the DNR) recommend we make the following changes...". Well, what if Scenarios 1,2 or 7 were included? Would this skew the data they have collected? Of course it would. It would truly reflect anglers' opinions on the subject. Sorry for the rant, but survey creation and data collection is an integral part of my job and it saddens me to see such a poor example of data collection...

·
Formerly "FRL"
930 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I agree Jeff ..... and that point hit home with me. Dan is courrently working on an additional survey put forth by us the anglers that is indeed unbiased. We will turn in the results of that survey.

I hope you all make Flint Mi tommorow ....

See ya there

1 - 4 of 4 Posts