Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
OK, this suggestion came up in one of the 'rant' threads for a Hall of Shame where we can post information about some of the asshats out on the water. So, here are the suggested rules:
  1. Incidents of 'asshattery' must be directly observed - no "I heard about this guy..." stuff
  2. No generalizations about boat type or behavior - just the facts ma'am!
  3. As with #2, please keep the editorializing to a minimum
  4. Please be as detailed as possible
The second post will have a proposed form to follow - I figure folks can "quote" my example post, change the details, and voila we have a fairly consistent way to identify some of the blind and clueless on the water. Being able to recognize some of these guys might just help someone stay away from a hazard - and maybe one of the offenders might see themselves on here and realize how their actions impact others.

Captains, if this pans out maybe we could pin this thread.

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Boat name: The Fishwhacker
Boat type: Bass boat
Description: White with broad red stripe
MC #: MC123456
Behavior: Powerloading and cutting in line at the ramp, general incompetence. Guy cut in front of 3 other boats waiting to load, then sat in his truck smoking before he powerloaded onto his trailer.
Comments:

·
Registered
17,155 Posts
QUOTE(dockrocker @ Jun 25 2009, 10:41 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>OK, this suggestion came up in one of the 'rant' threads for a Hall of Shame where we can post information about some of the asshats out on the water. So, here are the suggested rules:
  1. Incidents of 'asshattery' must be directly observed - no "I heard about this guy..." stuff
  2. No generalizations about boat type or behavior - just the facts ma'am!
  3. As with #2, please keep the editorializing to a minimum
  4. Please be as detailed as possible
The second post will have a proposed form to follow - I figure folks can "quote" my example post, change the details, and voila we have a fairly consistent way to identify some of the blind and clueless on the water. Being able to recognize some of these guys might just help someone stay away from a hazard - and maybe one of the offenders might see themselves on here and realize how their actions impact others.

Captains, if this pans out maybe we could pin this thread.

Gawd...this reminds me of the senior citizen complex my parent's have a condo in....in Florida !
Those older folks have nothing better to than watch what anyone does and nit pick...bicker...and file complaints.

IMO..something like this could (potentially) give LSCN a bad name.
I don't think that sort of "reporting or calling out" was ever the intention of the administrators/owners.

I'd let the sheriff do his job and get over it already.

But...whatever....

The only thing I can see is if there is a repeated unsafe operation of a boat....that if you're going to call them out on a public board....you'd have more than enough info to call them out to the sheriff

just my opinion

·
Premium Member
21,452 Posts
I see nothing wrong with having this thread, it's not going to give LSCN a bad name

The nitpicking in threads lately about what should or shouldn't be said is really getting tiresome. Let the Admins and Moderators do their job, they've been doing fine for 10 years and the site keeps growing so I wouldn't worry too much about a thread that warns people of boaters who are careless and disrespectful.

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
You are assuming the sheriff will
1. see it happen
2. care
3. do anything about it.

The only thing I can see is if there is a repeated unsafe operation of a boat....that if you're going to call them out on a public board....you'd have more than enough info to call them out to the sheriff

If the captain of the "Offending" boat wants to dispute what is said about him/her then they are free to post here too. Free speech is a wonderful think

·
12,052 Posts
QUOTE(LakeNewbie @ Jun 25 2009, 10:55 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Gawd...this reminds me of the senior citizen complex my parent's have a condo in....in Florida !
Those older folks have nothing better to than watch what anyone does and nit pick...bicker...and file complaints.

I don't think that sort of "reporting or calling out" was ever the intention of the administrators/owners.
But...whatever....

just my opinion

GUILTY CONSIOUS??

Did Dom get Eddie's fishing line out of your jet pump ok??

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
QUOTE(hammer @ Jun 25 2009, 12:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(LakeNewbie @ Jun 25 2009, 10:55 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Gawd...this reminds me of the senior citizen complex my parent's have a condo in....in Florida !

But...whatever....

just my opinion

GUILTY CONSIOUS??

No Hijacking

·
Registered
322 Posts
Sounds OK to me... As long as this doesn't turn into some kind of vigilante justice venue...
We all see what the yahoo's do out there.. Sometimes it's scary...

·
Vendor
12,824 Posts
I don't think the Hull of Shame idea is that bad. Just as long as there is no name calling or anything else that will break the rules of the board. LSCN is already established in the community. This idea will not make or break anything with the reputation of LSCN.

Keep on rocking!

·
Registered
3,393 Posts
I have three, and hate to say the one, but such is life. This was Wed. 6-24-2009 late afternoon

Boat name: N/A
Boat type: Sea Doo XP
Description: Yellow/Black in color
MC #: N/A
Behavior: Non english speaking operator wearing an orange PFD and over weight with assz crack hanging out on said jetski, running well within 10 feet of me and my dog as we were swiming in 3' of water. Said operator coming from the south river launch, cruised by us multiple times. Used the boats in front of belle maer as a rece course to zig zag in and out. One guy did stop him and explained what he was doing wrong. Operator then proceeded to drive away doing the exact same thing.

Boat name: XRT
Boat type: Sunsation
Description: Black
Behavior: Guessing 10 to 12 mph through the canal pass the gass dock and slowed down to make the westerly turn to head down the canal. Way to fast. So fast that the wake actually splashed over the bow of my inflatable. No excuses

Boat name: N/A
Boat type: Old Roamer maybe???? 40' maybe. Came from Blue lagoon
Description: White, with make shift/home made cockpit enclosure
Behavior: Wake was so large, again had water splash up over the side. When I gave him a point at his wake, he did the "wave the hand in the air-whatever gesture"

·
Registered
17,155 Posts
QUOTE(hammer @ Jun 25 2009, 12:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(LakeNewbie @ Jun 25 2009, 10:55 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Gawd...this reminds me of the senior citizen complex my parent's have a condo in....in Florida !

But...whatever....

just my opinion

GUILTY CONSIOUS??

whatever happened to spell check ??

there is no fishing line in our jet boat.

Let me just quote what I said.....again....so you wont have to.

Gawd...this reminds me of the senior citizen complex my parent's have a condo in....in Florida !

But...whatever....

just my opinion

I dunno...that seems kinda like ONE PERSON'S OPINION and no reason to get your panties inna bunch.

Geeeez get outside...it's finally summer !!!

I just came in from a nap on the deck...lulled to sleep by the sound of boats blowing by our seawall.
that's life on the water.

ok..carry on...and sheesh...when did MY opinion get to be so IMPORTANT ???

o wait...I always forget about the behind the scenes campaign in PM's someone runs.
I was shown one once..and laughed my azz off.

Seriously...get over it (and me)

·
Registered
9,917 Posts
asshat? Apparently, somebody's been hanging out on CL r&r section to be displaying that vernacular

·
Registered
17,155 Posts
QUOTE(Soo Sassy @ Jun 25 2009, 12:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I see nothing wrong with having this thread, it's not going to give LSCN a bad name

The nitpicking in threads lately about what should or shouldn't be said is really getting tiresome. Let the Admins and Moderators do their job, they've been doing fine for 10 years and the site keeps growing so I wouldn't worry too much about a thread that warns people of boaters who are careless and disrespectful.

Steph, with all due respect...do you have a crystal ball to know this isn't going to backfire into name calling, fights...and all sorts of things ??

AND...who JUDGES what the other does...if you see things from a distance...you might get the wrong idea...
judging gets very tricky and I don't think anyone here is qualified to be one. Not even Deputy Dawg.

I guess when someone disagrees or has another opinion...you consider that nit picking ??
hmmmm...interesting...especially keeping in mind the frantic PM's you send out telling us who not to talk to and what not to say

Yeah..LSCN has been around for ten years...but its never been a sight for vigilantes. (as far as I know)

Someone else said it better....said it was okay as long as it didnt turn into a vigilante focus....
well..yeah...but how can you predict that ??

My opinion still stands that I think its a bad idea in concept. But I dont rule the roost here.
and...I will NOT be standing out at my seawall taking pictures of peeps making mistakes or intentionally misbehaving. You want to know why ?? coz they always have and they always will...and those kinds of people don't care about rules anyways.

Not wasting my time. Life is too short.

but hey...you guys go right ahead...have at it. and Good Luck to LSCN's reputation.

·
Registered
17,155 Posts
QUOTE(sunsation98 @ Jun 25 2009, 01:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Seriously-

sometimes just let it go!

exactly !!
and calling this new venture "LSCN Hall of Shame" I think is a little presumptuous....unless of course you've already cleared it with the admins who own this site ?
(good call on that one, Mini)

·
Registered
17,155 Posts
QUOTE(sunsation98 @ Jun 25 2009, 01:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(LakeNewbie @ Jun 25 2009, 01:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Not wasting my time. Life is too short.

Seriously- look at your post count!

Sorry I had to bust your chops!

no sweat, Ken....it's not the first time..it won't be the last time

I can handle it.
I always consider the source

1 - 20 of 71 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.