Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
6,661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
okay - so I go to the Doctor's Clinic on 11 & Harper (thanks Amelia and MananaII) to get some chill pills to help me quit smoking. I almost caved in last night and it scared the $hit outta me. Remember, I did cold turkey w/no nicotine replacements like gum or patch, etc, that's why I need to see the Dr. i figure.

now, I know I'm gonna wait - that comes with the territory but geeze o petes man - 2 hours and this PA (not a doctor but close to one) comes flying in -

- does not say hi
- does not shake my hand
- does not ask me how are you or how do you feel

he goes right into "So you quit smoking and WHY DON'T YOU WANT THE PATCH???" I said "Because I want all the nicotine out of my system forever - the patch is a gradual withdraw - I don't want that"

This smart a$$ f&*ker goes snottily "Well, you can't just quit cold turkey without a patch or gum - nicotine is a drug and you are an addict"

<_<

I go "YES I CAN AND DID QUIT COLD TURKEY AND INSTEAD OF YOU QUESTIONING ME YOU SHOULD BE COMMENDING ME FOR QUITTING THE CANCER STICKS AFTER ALMOST 20 YEARS OF SMOKING - NOT TELLING ME I CAN'T DO THIS!!!" Boy was I f'ing pissed - had I been any weaker I'd of stormed out of that office and into a drugstore to get a pack of smokes thinking to myself - geeze - the PA even tells me I need a nicotine crutch to get off this $hit!

So anyways, I said to him "I know there are drugs on the market that have NO nicotine in them. Why in the world would I want to go back on the patch and put MORE nicotine in my system after I've been nicotine free for 6.5 days and over the major withdrawl symptoms already??? Hmmph?!?!?! I have not smoked in 6 days and I have a short wick and an snippy and you have a HORRIBLE bed side manner - I want to see a Dr. - a REAL Dr. instead of you - he says "Well I'm rushed and the office is busy and I just dont' think nicotine cut off is right for you" again I said, I will wait longer, I don't mind waiting as long as I can see someone who comes in who is NOT rushed, NOT rude, introduces themself, SHAKES MY HAND, and most importantly LISTENS TO THE PATIENT!!!!!!!

JESUS CHRIST!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
11,681 Posts
did you see another dr?

·
Registered
9,003 Posts

holy schitt!!! You go for telling him off!!!

So, what happened next? Did you speak to another doctor? No cigarette, right?

·
Registered
123 Posts
You tell him lady.

But, What was your urge??? Some have empty hands and others need something in their mouth (I'm being serious, not joking), I carried a short pencil for my hands and had a hard candy for my mouth.

still think you can do it. I quit cold turkey, dit the gum, patch but a year later I quit because "I" wanted to.

·
Registered
409 Posts
I can't guaranttee the same day stuff but my doc is Dr. Emerick. He is pretty nice and knows his stuff - he's about 70 but pretty sharp. He is located at 15 Mile and Little Mack.

Number 791-5250.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
I'm telling you Shan-diggity...........

Dr. P. would never do that, and always, always listens and asks questions concerning your needs, wants and reasons.

·
Registered
34,129 Posts
Man, you're cranky without the niccotine!

Still, good for you.

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
why to go shandiggity... what happened in the end?? tell us, tell us!
There are so many times i would like to tell someone off like that and speak my mind, i do not think i have it in me though... good for you- i hope he shaped up after that!
Waited 2 hours... you have patience my friend....

·
Registered
4,832 Posts
good for you shandog telling him off. way to often people are treated like just a # and dr,s dont listen.

H.A.P. Dr here in troy i thought was terrible. so i wrote hap a letter. just so they knew. i switched right after.

·
Registered
11,681 Posts
yah! good for telling him off, but now inquiring minds want to know!

what a jerk!

·
Registered
6,661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
after the PA left the room I continued to wait 15 more minutes and then re-opened my office door and looked for the next office assistant to walk by. When she did I explained to her that I was waiting to see the Dr after I had my incident w/the PA and his rude bedside manner, and asked her to make sure someone knew about this.

15 more minutes goes by

I stood up, got out of my exam room, walked around till I found a different assistant. Told her what happened, how long I'd been there, that I already asked another assistant to make sure a dr saw me and that nothing had happened so I asked her POINT BLANK to find the Dr. and make sure he knew what happened to me and that I was teh NEXT person he would see then I told her I'd be waiting in exam #4 for a follow-up from her after she found the dr and told him this.

sure as $hit 5 min later the Dr. was in my office - a Real Dr. a nice man, shook my hand and apologized said he heard what happened and that he was wrapping up w/a patient and that I would be next.

So - that's it. He was very very nice and gave me some office samples of Wellbeutrin - it's a stop smoking aid that contains no nicotine and one of the common side effects they've found is that is curbs your appetite as well (which is FINE for me honey - need to lose this 10 lbs of relationship fat anyways lol!!) another side effect of wellbeutrin is that is calms your nerves a wee bit. WHew! My kids and everyone else I come in contact with need that - plus "Aunt Flow" is in town - so I'm even more edgier than normal.

AGGH!!!! I'll survive - takes a few days for the Wellbeutrin to kick in tho!

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
That's funny!!! You go!! It is about time someone said something. Maybe next time he will think about his bedside manner.

I hope that the welbutrin works, I am on it now. It kind of makes my stomach upset so I have been taking it before I go to sleep.

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
Well Shandog that was a horrible experience!!!! What that PA said to you was out of line. I am truly disappointed that an educated professional would say that to you. I am glad you were able to get what you were looking for.

I do want to say along with the bad PA's there are some really great ones, so do not let this experience turn you against all PA's. (Gotta stick up for my profession!!!!)

Keep working and you will succeed- girl YOU ROCK!!!!!!

·
Registered
4,286 Posts
Way to go Shandog!

Keep up the good work with quiting!

·
Registered
6,661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks guys!!

Mrs P-29...are you trying to quit too? GOOD LUCK!!!

And Girlie - you are sooooo much more compassionate than this boisterous jacka$$ was - bed side manner is a huge thing to me and because of all the $$ I spend on health insurance and office co pays and other stuff I guess I demand being treated with common courtesy even more. But hey, don't we all??? I guess I just had the balls to set his arse straight and remind him of a few things. Not only did he get the wrath of a pms'ing non smoking patient - he got BIT by the Shandog

·
Registered
11,681 Posts
YEEEEEEEEEAHHHHHHH shandoggie! i'm so glad you got the proper treatment! good for you for setting them straight !:)

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
I do believe that since you are quitting smoking you can get away with anything just short of murder..legally.

Maybe you should have biotch slapped the P.A.......I probably would have pulled my pants down and pi$$ed on his/her shoes..

1 - 20 of 41 Posts