Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Since this is my second year with my boat I would like to get into more tournament.
Besides fishing in my club tournamemt Some of the Federation and GNT. Any other sugestions.

Brian

·
Premium Member
18,804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That is a great start. There are more circuits to fish.....BFL and NBAA are two that come to mind.

I fish, and plan on doing so in 2003, the Federation Classic Series and the GNT East Michigan Series. I might be able to get in one of the GNT weeknight series too.

Mini

·
Sponsor Since 1/10
5,229 Posts
I'm gonna fish the BPS Indoor Circuit...I'll start with the tank here in Auburn Hills and work my way around the country!!!

·
Registered
232 Posts
Ahh, Tourney talk. Just thing for serious case of Cabing Fever!

I fished GNT East & Weeknight NBAA on St. Clair last year. I finished 2nd in overall in NBAA (got to fish Chautauqua), but was rather mediocre in the GNT (22nd I think).

Thinking of doing the GNT SE MI "Franklin" trail this year, rather than GNT East. Lakes are just St. Clair and Erie, which are my strengths. This is especially true with the East trail adding Sandusky Bay. My only reservation is how popular the trail will be (turnout). Any opinions?

How about the overall popularity of team trail in SE Mich. period? Why are things not catching on that well? There was a post on the Fed board were djkimmel mentions this. If you read that post, it looks like there is another trail trying start up here (not AC).

·
Premium Member
18,804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I did not read Dans post about another trail. I think we would hard pressed to have another trail start up due to the amount of tournaments already in SE Mich. Wait maybe I did see his reply to a post somewhere about that.

As far as the "Franklin" trails, I dont know here in SE Mich. I think they will do well in the north and west, but Doug may be cutting his throat byt having people switch from the East Michigan trail to the Franklin trails. Just my opinion.

I was looking at the Franklin trails too....

Mini

·
Registered
232 Posts
Yeah. The lower entry fee and closer lakes that are both in the metro area could make the Franklin trails popular, or maybe not. That's my only reservation. I really like to fish in a decent sized field, so that when I do well, I feel like I've really accomplished somthing great. Compared to the "bigger" GNT East circuit, I feel that With about three years of big water tourney experience, I feel be more compeitive on Erie & St. Clair that on other big bodies of water. I think many others will feel the same. To be able put the practice time in on far away Saginaw, and now Sandusky, is tough when I still have so much to learn here.

·
Premium Member
18,804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I know there is alot of water to cover, but they really arent that far away. You can be on Sag Bay in an hour and half from my house in Sterling Hts, and Sandusky in two and a half.

We are spoiled here in Michigan, think of the poor souls that live in Iowa, Indiana, Illinois, Ohio (southern), etc. They hardly have any lakes. We probably have more lakes in Oakland County than most states.

Mini

·
Registered
17 Posts
It is much different than just a few years ago when it comes to preparing for the tournament season. With so many circuits availible to fish from, you can become more picky with which one you want to invest in. This year you will have the GNT circuits, NBAA and the BFL to chose from locally. The question comes, when is enough of a good thing to much. It's great to see this sport grow like it has in this area, but it makes me wonder if were pushing that envelope. I wonder if what were sowning now will develop a better fishing future in the next 5 years or will it hurt it. Pressure wise and participation wise. Jsut some food for thought. I can't fish so I might as well talk about it.

GeorgeT

·
Registered
424 Posts
I think that I will fish the G.N.T. East again this year and the Thursday night trail. I'm glad to see Sandusky Bay come into the picture can do with out Saginaw Bay Even though we took second place last year at Saginaw. Also going to fish the BFL. or Active Anglers. Does anyone have the dates for Active Anglers for the New Year?
Mike
I.S.G. Pro Staff
ErieAnglers.com

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
I was trying to discourage the 'new' guy/circuit. We have a really crowded season already.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Your trying to discourage anyone "new" from joining a circuit your in because they are crowded??? Maybe I misunderstood you. Please tell me I did. Then again, maybe I didn't?

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
Ya know. Sometimes I just can't win. Thanks oohfoo. You made me feel like I was at home where I'm always wrong and always to blame.

If you read the post on the other site, I'd hope you'd see what I was saying then. I hate being misunderstood. What I said was we have too many CIRCUITS already crammed into a really short season in a state that is leaning fairly negative against tournaments now.

I love more guys getting involved and more success in the circuits already out there. Heck, if everyone would just convert to bass tournament anglers, a lot of the problems I hear about and deal with would go away. Wishful thinking anyway.

There have been a bunch of circuits that have come and gone, and very few have added anything positive. I just hate to see a whole new range of problems created by a new set of guys. We all know the really well run circuits (there aren't many) out there. We need to support them and encourage them. If I really thought this 'new' circuit would add to things, I'd encourage it. I could still be convinced, but unless it will supplant some of the weaker circuits quickly with a quality, well-run, high integrity circuit, we just don't need more tournaments complicating an already touchy situation in a very short, very crowded tournament schedule (some lakes have every weekend and several week nights a week). It's nothing personal against the person who posted the message on the other site.

[ 01-01-2003, 04:07 AM: Message edited by: djkimmel ]

·
Registered
52 Posts
Sorry to jump so quickly. Had not read the other posts elsewhere. It's been awhile since my last visit here. See you have changed everything. The new layout is nice. Not sure I like the member ratings thing but Hey it's not my site. Our tourny situation is getting crazy down here. Now we have a 14 boat limit on tourny's. Anything larger and you have to get a permit to have it. No back to back tourny's on the same lake by the same organizers on one weekend. Lot's of B.S.. So what else is new...

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
No big problem. I wish I could just fish, but I know that if we had a limited number of lakes like you do in Indiana, things WOULD be worse here in Michigan than they are. It's hard to believe that a lot of your problems in Indiana stemp mainly from Syracuse/Wawasee Lakes.

I don't mind a fair tournament permit process with reasonable compromises and fees (although fees are questionable in their purpose when the number collected will be small - I once had a high-ranking MDNR Recreation division employee tell me it cost him $50 to process a $15 fee - don't know if that's really true or not - but it highlights that things need to be fairly and intelligently thought out by both sides).

I don't really care for the member ratings either although they are more fun for the pleasure boaters. If they had ratings like this on another site I follow, I'd probably be in the negative since I'm a tournament angler (OH NO!). They don't really mean much.

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
Thanks Mini! Now if I can just keep anyone else from voting...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts