Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went out yesterday, the 12 th. Fished the south end of the lake. nothing exciting to say. Fished from Peach,to the dumping grounds,to the Delphine,and back into the Det.river.Nothing big. Did catch some small 2 to 2-1/2 lbs.ers but the water had to be clear.
Has anyone else had problems or seen that the lake has not been producing the big ones this year? I know that I may be fishing in the wrong spots,and I have not tried Musk.Bay or the Channels yet,but getting a big smallies out of the lake this year has been dificult.The BIG un`s numbers seem to be down?

·
Registered
328 Posts
The best years I have seen for big fish were 99,00,01. I think there has been a natural downturn since then. I am talking about #s of big fish. My opinion only

·
LSCN Sponsor
2,482 Posts
QUOTE(team houston @ Aug 13 2004, 09:22 AM)The best years I have seen for big fish were 99,00,01. I think there has been a natural downturn since then. I am talking about #s of big fish. My opinion only
I agree and disagree at the same time.

The biggest factor this year is the fish are positioned differently. The best thing I can say is the bait/smallies are "behind" (and I've been ahead all year
) there normal migrations. Regarding the size. 99' was peak for size, IMO. The smaller year classes have been progressing the last 3/4 years and getting bigger. It has been amazing watching this develope. The last few weeks I've seen some of the biggest fish coming out of Clair I've seen in years (not caugt by me
).

They are out there. One thing I have noticed is changes in bait movements. I'm not finding them in the typical areas I usually do. Never a good thing, because it means I'm not catching fish. When I do catch a fish from one such area they are "super" skinny. Daahhhh. For a while I was worried about the bait as a whole. But recently I've seen some jumbo's brought in. i.e. They have found the bait and hence found the bigger smallies. In talking with some people it I've been close, just not quite in the right area. Llike I said I've been a little bit ahead of migrations all year. At least that's my excuse

·
Registered
19 Posts
As far as fishing goes,I'm goimg to name my boat skunked again! I've been going to my regular spots,fishing the same the baits, and I'm not catching any thing worth talking about.
I've been marking fish but they are not hiting.
I do most of my fishing in the channels mostly the sni and north, slow slow slow,bummer.
But the rule still aplies;"a bad day fishing beats any day at work"

·
Registered
414 Posts
I am not a bass fisherman at all but would like to mention every time I go out perch fishing...I usually end up with at least 3 big smallmouths on minnows .....I hear a few guys say I was skunked... I can't remember a time using minnows that I haven't caught smallmouths

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
The big bass are out there. They are behaving different. It seems like a year of changing hour-to-hour and even minute-to-minute. I had one day where for about two hours, a Super Spook was awesome - caught some smallies close to 3, a couple over 3 and a 4-14 along with a mid-40 inch range muskie on it. The bite vanished completely like a switch was thrown.

We got the rest later on tubes and jerkbait, but we caught them in 13 feet and 30 feet in the channels. My friend fished two of my spots in the EverStart - a shallow lake spot and a deep/shallow channel spot and finished in the money although missed the cut - he had a 5-pound class fish on the lake spot, but lost it. His co-angler got big bass at 5-7 the first day on the channel spot.

Two spots we got them good in practice (a couple other well-known pros were on the same fish and struggled after thinking they were going to tear them up) did not produce at all in the tournament a couple days later.

The federation 2nd day was won in the channels with over 21 pounds and then 3 catches over 20 came in from the channels last weekend as Alex previously posted. Big bass in the federation - about 6 1/2 pounds was caught on the south shore though. Another angler reported in another tournament that they just covered tons of water along the the south sore with the Super Spook (actually gave me the confidence to stick with it before the great day I had) and they only caught 4 bass but placed high in the money because they were all quality.

Just like the past couple of seasons, some anglers are reporting tough times and some are reporting big catches. It has been spotty for me and I haven't been out as much as normal, but I've caught several big bass and some good quality. Often, I've just changed how I'm fishing the same spot. Out in the lake, I'm still getting bigger bass, but less on crankbaits. I've also caught some bigger bass in the same areas as other anglers by throwing bigger tubes on oversized weights to crash down hard. That has worked several times.

I would have probably squeaked in the money in the first BFL on St. Clair back in the end of June if I hadn't taken the wrong shortcut into the weigh in and ended up 16 minutes late. I marked the wrong canal and trusted my GPS. I started out the day acting the same. Fishing the same old spots the same old ways. I lost 4 good fish throughout the day and had only 2 keepers, but still less than the normal number of bites that time of year.

I did change up and fish the channel areas more than I usually do in June because it seemed some bass were moving there earlier than normal. I changed up to the heavier tubes and fished the crankbait faster later in the day to land 4 bass with my two biggest in the last hour and a half. Most of the top weights including the co-angler win came from the channels. Those guys were fishing where many of the best bass were available.

I'd love to fish where I like to and I'm still trying some when I'm out there, but if I want to actually catch bass and catch the better bass, i guess I better find out where the bass are and fish there. I think I'll go back to hitting my key indicator spots only with a good distance between them until I start finding areas that seem to have the most nice bass on them. That's where I should be concentrating my fishing. I might get out there next Sunday for a while and see how that works out.

I fish the channels mostly this time of year, but I think the lake bass can be found the same way. If they aren't where they normally are, then fish somewhere else. Try out farther and cover water. Hit the key structures, but don't slow way down until you seem to be around a bunch of bass. We've got a big 1998 year class out there somewhere that should be getting pretty big now. I'm expecting more big limits as the summer progresses into fall. It should be interesting watching St. Clair go up against Lake Erie in tournaments the rest of the year.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Have to disagree, I'm having a pretty good year (2 wins out of 3 tournaments, NBAA Sunday tournaments). Higher water levels have the fish acting like they did 10 years ago, the deep stuff hasn't been going for me, I'm getting them on the flats. Have only caught one 5 pounder so far, but plenty of 3.5 to 4's (we culled many 3.5 pounders in both tournaments). Lots and lots of bait where I'm fishing. Also lots and lots of silver bass.

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
The South channels, the Middle and the main channel

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I can catch em,but when you see 20 lbs. + come to the scales and I have 18-19 lbs. and had a good day missing nothing and landing everything I hooked , It get dis-hearting sometimes.
I know the best months are yet to come,I have no problem catchin the toades fun fishing in October,just cant seem to catch the big-uns when i counts........
I guess more time on the water and paying more attention to seasonal patters and the bait fish will help

·
Premium Member
18,804 Posts
With the weights from this past weekends Federation tourney......

Darren Lear and Jon Macnamara won both days. 22.99 Sat. and 24+ on Sunday. Yes that is for 5 fish for those that dont know.....amazing.

Mini

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
RK4BASSIN, I would never be upset about landing 18-19 pounds of bass in a tournament whether I won or not. There's not that many guys doing that consistently.

Mini - those are huge weights. Do you know if those are St. Clair or Erie? I'm assuming not Erie, but I hate to assume.

I want to add to my data that St. Clair and Erie aren't dead just yet. Spitler told the MDNR that 'mixing the genetics' must make bigger bass...

22.99 and 24+ anywhere for 5 smallies is impressive. Some anglers actually believe things are going downhill. The MDNR is reporting now that anglers will continue to fish a species right into oblivion before doing anything about. I think that is nonsense and shows a low opinion of my fellow anglers. I also don't see to much evidence of 'oblivion' just yet.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts