Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We've been boating on small Oakland County lakes for a number of years (owned boats in the 18-20 foot range). As you can tell by our name, we're ready for bigger water. We were guests on a power boat on Lake St. Clair last summer and fell in love with it. Now, we're looking for a boat of our own. So the question is, what's a good power boat for Lake St. Clair? My husband wants to maintain control of our budget, so. . .
Is older and bigger better than newer and smaller? or vice versa. What are the advantages/disadvantages of inboards, i-o's, v drives?
Basically, we are looking for advice from enthusiasts who are not boat salesmen. So, what do you think? What do we need to know that we don't know we need to know?

·
Registered
4,286 Posts
You came to the right place to ask for advise, I'm sure you will get all the questions taken care of here!

And WELCOME ABOARD!

·
Registered
3,784 Posts
Welcome! You have landed in the right spot. Never a shortage of opions. In this case, I have no idea. If it floats, I am happy.
As Afireman said, you will get great advise here.

·
12,052 Posts
For a first bigger boat I would go for a used, but not to old, bigger boat. A guy I work with bought a 29'6" cruisers inc. 10'8"beam twin 350's 270hp, with only 360 hours. Its a 1988, but a little rubbing out and new carpet and its brand new. He only paid $24k. That's very few hours for a boat that age. People in the bay city area use their boats for cottages and don't go out much so they have few hours. It has v drives so their is no outdrive maintenence to deal with.

·
12,052 Posts
Now if you want something a little bigger, I'll sell you mine.

·
Premium Member
9,536 Posts
Welcome Circles!

Very knowledgeable peeps here...helped me...now I'm just waiting for one of them to win the lotto so they can buy me a boat

JK

Was going to buy this year but against my strong desires, decided that next will be a better decision.

You will have to ask yourself what type of boating are you gonna do... there is more to it than LSN. PIB and Huron are great to explore also. Radlin's In CA is Awesome, the moot rocks and you'll find more than just that...lot to explore.

Consider family needs...kids, overnights etc.

Good luck and keep us informed!
Gary

·
Premium Member
9,536 Posts
QUOTE(hammer @ Jun 16 2003, 10:46 PM)Now if you want something a little bigger, I'll sell you mine.

too many carpet stains...

JK

Immaculate boat!

·
Registered
19,233 Posts
QUOTE(garydebs @ Jun 16 2003, 10:51 PM)QUOTE(hammer @ Jun 16 2003, 10:46 PM) Now if you want something a little bigger, I'll sell you mine.

too many carpet stains...

JK

Immaculate boat!
Not on the carpet
Couldn't resist!

·
Registered
4,269 Posts
QUOTE(garydebs @ Jun 16 2003, 10:51 PM)Immaculate boat!
immacualte, ejac...

What? What did I say? C'mon, I was being good!

·
12,052 Posts
All right you bastards
I have carpet protectors, so you must have the wrong boat.

Sorry about the
Shandog.

·
Registered
4,269 Posts
Ok peeps (by the way, newbie, that's what we call each other. Don't ask why, we just do).

Listen up. What have we learned here today? Everyone replies to people asking for opinions, but yet can offer no opinion themselves (except Hammer, whose only interest is selling his)

There will be a Hammertime V if he has his way.

Garydebs is playing it safe this year (better take me up my offer, bro!)

threecarbs has an evil mind.

And finally "Tiredofgoingarounfandaroundincirclesonsomelandlockedlakeaintgettingitforusandwef
eltheneedforopenwaterlikelakestclair" needs a new name. Just kidding, welcome aboard newbie!

·
Registered
3,784 Posts
I am PIMP here! You guys are killing me. Hammer, don't worry , none of the stains are noticable. Your boat is perfection!
Lisa, you little devil , you!

·
Premium Member
9,536 Posts
QUOTE(hammer @ Jun 16 2003, 10:57 PM)All right you bastards
I have carpet protectors, so you must have the wrong boat.

Sorry about the
Shandog.
Yeah the only guy I know that has carpet condoms

and I DID refer to your boat as pristine!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
4,286 Posts
Hammer just wants to sell his boat!

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I know I was a bit broad in asking for suggestions, but what can I say, I am a bit of a broad

It's just the two of us and the dog with friends on occaision (our friend, not the dogs). I'm leaning toward sportfish but they seem to be at the high end of the price range, so we're trying to reach for reality. Are twin stern drives harder to manuver in the marina? If we get something from the late 80's will it be a money pit? What's a decent size range to shoot for?

Btw, is nudity a requirement on Gull Island?

·
Registered
299 Posts
I'll give you my .02 worth..Figure out whats your basic budget, boat,insurance,well,winter storage,how many hours would you like to use it in the summer(gas)? Yes, I know some of it is guessing but try to err on the high side. Do you wish to trailer it at all, or only a well? If you are thinking about an older boat have it inspected/appraised. Certain used boats DON'T depreciate like other boats, you may pay more upfront but you'll get it back later if you sell(Boston Whaler,Tiara,Pursuit,Bertram,etc). Also, you didn't mention what you want in it, air con.,stove,fridge,shower? Unless you go big, sportfish don't always have the goodies.

Ease of handling, my opinion twin inboard first,twin I/O and twin outboard tie for second. If you go big you could always get a bowthruster
What size would you like,25ish,30ish,40ish.

Give us your thoughts (wish list)

Cheers
Tony

·
Registered
8,011 Posts
All of your questions depend on your specific situation. Do you like to fish? Are you a partier? What is "a reasonable budget"? Are we talking 20K is in range or are you thinking more like 50K or more. Do you like to cruise or are you more into going fast? It sounds like you want a midsized cruiser or weekender style boat. Later 80's boats are ok if you get a good clean low hours boat that has been taken care of. I own an '87 268 Searay. I payed 22,5 for the boat and trailer last year. It had 290 hours when I bought it. To buy an equivilent boat new today would run in the 60-70K range or more. Make sure you get a good survey done. There are many reputable surveyors around here. The guy that owns Dolphin Marine is a member of this board, wait, that's me.

Welcome to the board and welcome to Lake StClair

·
Registered
8,011 Posts
Also take into consideration entertainment money. Figure on the most that you can possibly imagine spending, then double it, and that's aboutm what you should plan on spending, on everything.

G

·
Tired/circles:

SIze wise on Lake St. Clair? If you want to enjoy the lake most of the time, don't buy less than a 25' boat. Sure, there are a lot of smaller than that boats out there. Ask Rumpshaker how his 22' PowerQuest handles in a busy Saturday afternoon 2.5' chop. Even in my 25', you can rattle your teeth from time to time. But, with my trim tabs it handles very well.

Remember, Not less than 25'!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
622 Posts
QUOTEWe're gonna need a bigger boat

I like the name of this post...quoted from "Jaws"

QUOTESIze wise on Lake St. Clair? If you want to enjoy the lake most of the time, don't buy less than a 25' boat. Sure, there are a lot of smaller than that boats out there. Ask Rumpshaker how his 22' PowerQuest handles in a busy Saturday afternoon 2.5' chop. Even in my 25', you can rattle your teeth from time to time. But, with my trim tabs it handles very well.

I agree with this with first hand experience...like you(poster), my first boat was a old 17' runabout. After having enough of "fix or repair dailey" and wave chop whiplash, I made the "big move". I got a 25'ish cabin crusier brand new in mid season and got a great deal. All the luxuries of home on the boat, something big enough to cut the waves, and a tax write-off as well. Only one engine, but plenty of power, trim tabs and a great ride. Lots of room, 2 showers, fride and microwave make for a great time.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts