Hey Guys!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Would like to know what type of action and type of rod some of
you guys are using for a drop shot rig.

Thanks

Big 'D'

·
Registered
927 Posts
i use a 6'3" st croix legend elite medium action with xfast tip.
good rod, but comes with a price tag. i picked mine up for $200 at bps last year. i think they normally run $350. but check out the rod models for the rod mfger you are most comfortable or confident in. alot of rod makers are making rods designed for dropshotting. i know loomis makes one, and gary yamamoto also makes one. talk to mini about all star rods, i would imagine they are making them also. i should also mention ( and im sure you know this ) but unless you are god with a baitcaster, your going to want a spinning outfit. alot easier to throw the light weight rig. i know most people use really light line for dropshotting, but i dont use anything less than 8 lb. i have played with lighter lines in the past and have lost many fish so i opt for 8lb. another thing to consider ( and this has nothing to do with rods) if you are going to be dropshotting is that michigan has laws and regulations on leader lengths when dropshotting. there are ways around them, but you dont want to get caught out on the water by a dnr with the wrong rig. so you will want to check the rules out. but other than that, i like the medium action for the backbone, and the fast tip helps me work the bait without moving it along the bottom.

madman himself

·
Premium Member
18,804 Posts
Yes we have a two different lengths in our top of the line Titanium
> Series rods, a 6'4" AST762S spinning and 7' AST844S spinning. There
> is also one length in our IM10X series, 6'4" 762S-IM10X spinning. All
> three rods are specifically designed for drop shotting, in fact Skeet
> Reese wanted me to get him a dozen when I saw him at a show last
> March. They weren't even offered for sale yet. Supposedly the hottest
> drop shot rod (All Star calls it a down shot) on the tournament trail.
> The Titanium's are $199.95 and the IM10X is $89.95. I would suggest
> the 7' Titanium....
>
> Gander Mountain in Waterford (248-738-9600 ask for Derek Holmes) or
> South Street Tackle (734-697-0990 ask for Seth Hartwick)in Belleville
> are the closest dealers to the Metro Detroit area that can order one
> for you. Neither store ordered them for their regular assortment, but
> both can have it in 72 hours. I do know that Seth at South Street is
> taking his first delivery on rods 3/1 and Gander already has them in
> the store.
>
> If you need any more help. Please do not hesitate to contact me.
>
> John Maniaci
> All Star Rods

·
Registered
243 Posts
The last I new you had to have at least a 3 inch leader off the main line (if the weight is below the hook) to be considered legal in Michigan.

Is this still the case?

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
Yes. The drop shot or down shot as used in the rest of the fishing world is illegal in Michigan. If you have a weight below your lure, you must have the lure on a dropper at least 3" of the main line.

We've been told by the MDNR that if we put a lure (tube on jighead for example) on the bottom for our weight, then the lure can be attached to the line above.

This regulation is purely designed to help the MDNR stop stream snagging. If you are obviously fishing bass and especially not in a salmon river, you should be okay as long as you aren't making long, sharp jerking motions with your rod and reel.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
overhere in Canada
I don't beleive we have those reg's....I'm going to have to check them out.

John ....What is the action on those rods that you speak off...fast tip...etc?

My partner is sponsored by Grandt Rods...have you ever used them? What do you think?

Thanks for the info guys.

·
Premium Member
18,804 Posts
Ontario does not have a regulation that eliminates the drop shot rig to my knowledge.

The actions of any good drop shot rod (down shot rods according to All Star) is always fast and light or even ex-light. You can see the entire line up of All Star Graphite Rods by clicking here.

Mini

·
Registered
91 Posts
Big D
You need to check out the New G.Loomis drop shot rods. One casting model and one spinning model both are 6'-10" line weight 4-8lbs., lure weight 1/8-3/8 has an extra fast action and is considered magnum-light. Extremely light and sensitive.
Might be a couple at the Bass Pro Shop Spring Classic.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Big "D"

Sorry for the late responce, been kinda busy lately.
I would suggest that you check out a "Rogue Rod"
they are the lightest and most sesitive rod for the price, I think that if you look at them you will be very happy with what you get for the amount of money that you spend, they have a custom manufactured blank and use fuji guides, For drop shotting, I would say

1. SJ703S - which is a 7' medium action rod, with fast tip and is priced at $149.00

or

2. SJ663S - which is a 6'6" medium action rod, with fast tip for $144.00

again let me say if you check these rods out I think you will be satisified.

See you on the water
Rich

also if you need info where to get these rods or other questions let me know

1 - 11 of 11 Posts