Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking of adding the "Observer" part to our rules. This person won't be able to assist you in netting a fish nor will they be allowed to fish. They are someone else in the boat in the event of an emergency. The team that makes the decision to utilize an "Observer" must pay for a poly. test in the event one is needed. In the event that they cash a check, the check will not be issued until a test is done. What are your thoughts?

·
Registered
424 Posts
I don't think I would like to have an Observer, someone in the way, someone to put more ware and tear on my boat seats, fall and break a windshield, Bang a wave and blow a disk in his back. And not help to put fish in the live well. And know mater what anyone says a captain IS responsible for all passengers n his Vessel. As for a sub I feel that person is contributing to the to the tournament and it's better then going out by your self For as it stands so far I will not have a partner this year.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Do you have a problem or suspicion of cheating going on in your tournaments? I've never fished one of your events, but if you don't have problems/suspicions, why are you considering doing this?

·
Premium Member
18,804 Posts
Ranger...

I think he said it is for safety purposes. Personally I dont like it, mainly because I am not going to pay for a polygraph to have someone ride with me.

Mini

·
Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The reasons we considered the observer change was for safety. We fish big water that can and will get nasty at any given time. I do not like the sub rule, never have and probably never will. The "Observer" was an idea asked by some angler's. I will not apply this to our rules as it is way too much trouble for me to address.

The answer to the question about being suspicious or have I had problems. We have "NOT" had problems and yes I am suspicious with all the contestants in all tournaments. I have listened to many stories or truths from many different trails, clubs or opens and because of these conversations I am suspicious. The best way to address all rules, on my part, is to never give the opportunity to do something questionable. We care about our anglers and we don't want false stories to ruin a reputation.

Doug

·
Registered
206 Posts
I wouldn't have a problem with having an observer if there was an odd man out...

I don't think I would buy into having to pay for a polygraph if I used an observer...defeats the whole purpose of having an observer...

I kind of like the idea of having a sub...puts me in mind of water bowling...

Dave

·
Registered
53 Posts
I think the "safety factor" mentioned is a good reason to include an observer to any boater having to go out alone.. things can and will happen when least expected....you never know.. we are ALL getting OLDER...A "trusted" observer might just save a life one day.. Maybe someone who can drive a boat in case of medical emergency.. Waiting for a TOW could be forever... Right DAVE!

·
Premium Member
18,804 Posts
My guess it will exceed the price of the tournament. Let me also add that THIS HAS NOT BEEN STATED TO BE FACT YET IN GNT TOURNAMENTS......

We will all get the skinny soon. I hear Doug is getting closer to getting the proper ink on paper to make us all happy!

Mini

·
Registered
666 Posts
On some waters for safety it would be good to have two people in the boat. There is a person that I know of that fell and broke his ankle while fishing by himself in a tournament in October. Lucky he landed in the boat and not in the water as it would have been very difficult to get back into the boat by hiself in October with 4+ foot waves.

One of the Walleye circuits used to put an observer with the top 5 teams at each event. The observer was a media person that wrote an article on the tournament. That ended up being a easy way to get free news coverage of the event.

Doug

·
Premium Member
18,804 Posts
The Bassmasters Classic has been doing the media aboserver since day one, but I guarentee you that the fisherman doesnthave to pay anything "extra" for it.

Mini

·
Registered
666 Posts
Media and other observers. I won a trip to the Classic in Chicago from the Top 150 tournament on St. Clair. I was an observer and got to prefish as well on media day. Had a great time, B.A.S.S. paid everything. I believe the actual 'media' folks had to pay their own travel and lodging, but banquets were free.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts