Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
10,622 Posts
For me it's been the #2+#3 Mepps Aglia in Rainbow and Green Platium colors. It's been catching multi-species on 4lb. and 6lb. fireline. (sorry bob)
tied direct.

h2o<--what's been working best for you?

·
Registered
129 Posts
My go to bait is a 5" green pumpkin senko fished wacky style on a Gammy 4/0 ewg hook. I lose a few senkos and hooks due to the exposed hook but it has increased my catch ratio versus fishing it texas rigged.

·
LSCN Sponsor
5,472 Posts
Red Eye on 10 pound XL. Best Line Best Bait. Sorry Greg

·
Registered
58 Posts
I use twister tail grubs on a jig head the smaller the better 4lb to six pound test. I catch everything on those even pike when i land them. The biggest and second biggest smallmouth i ever caught (24" 23")i got on a 1" tail drifting on lsc in july of 03 theyare deadly for me on smaller lakes like lake orion or long lake. I rarely use live bait unless im fishing lsc. Arm is still in a cast but i might make it out this week end on lsc. .Im being a guide for some friends. If you see a one armed man in a blue smokercraft it just me.

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
I've been having a lot fun lately with a baby bass Splash-it!

·
Registered
533 Posts
A 4" senko - watermelon seed - texas rigged on a 2/0 EWG hook is deadly in weed beds. " Largeheads " won't leave it alone. Actually, I've been using a " Yum Dinger" - they are cheaper than senko's and just as effective.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Any kind of senko type bait just flat out catches fish for me. All colors but Dan I do love my splash-its. Even made up a special mayfly color feather trailer for LSC this year.

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
Sounds intriguing, Phil B. - All-American!

I haven't tried another color feather yet. I usually just tie my own for other baits in multi-colored tinsel. I may have to try a mayfly color IF I can become artistic enough to figure out how to get the color right.

I only have 1 Splash-it - they are so darn expensive! I'm afraid to use it where there are too many pike (or musky)!

·
Registered
109 Posts
my #1 lure for walleyes, for some reason (this year) I have had the best luck with fat raps "fr-5", we have caught multiple species
with them, and its the old models with the flourecent orange paint that work the best. they don't make that color anymore so after the muskies (or pike) took all my best fat raps, I have been painting new ones to match the old style. no other lure in my box has kept up with that colored fat rap this year, and I have lots of lures!

·
Registered
166 Posts
Here on the west side, with the largemouths in post-spawn, it better be green and on light line.

My goto bait is a modified watermelon senko in 4" and also Zoom centipedes/double ringers. Right now, with LM bass cruising post-spawn they want a slow drop. Lot of guys are fishing tubes on bottom and spider grubs, but they are not getting the roamers. Those baits are dropping to fast and fishing bottom isn't getting LM roamers. It's painful to fish this slow
but it works.

Hey MarkZ - Good job on your win opening weekend, that was a tough tourney. I helped pay for your 1st place pot

Ckev

·
Registered
234 Posts
So far, it's been Little Cleos in 2/5 and 2/3 oz, chrome and blue, Rattle Traps in 1/2 and 3/4 oz, gold and silver black backs, Red Eye spoon in 1 oz, brass, and Mepps gold #5 bucktails, red squirrel dressing. Targeting pike, I've caught and released more out-of-season bass than in recent memory, though, all fishing done in Anchor Bay.

·
LSCN Sponsor
5,472 Posts
Hey Mike you sure know the best baits for those toothy critters. How come I haven't seen you out there??? Bob

·
Registered
234 Posts
Hi, bob. Well, I do listen to my elders, just like my mom taught me.
I've been a cleo fan for a real long time and a trap fan since I started fishing LSC. But yup, I'm slowly learning how to use those red-eyes and bucktails.

Sorry I've missed you. Haven't been out all that much and most times have been short days anyway. I've spent most of the time north of Harley, up around "A" marker, and a bit of the time out from Selfridge up to the Salt. Same old boat.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Mike, I used to fish only inland lakes and had my best luck with one of the original beetle spins. It was great for large and smallmouth bass and I can't count how many pike I caught on Houghton Lake. Now that I fish LSC, I too am learning.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I've been casting in 10-14 ft off 9-10 mile roads in the evenings with jointed shad raps. They are amazing. I use a 8'5" St. Croix with 8 Lb test, so i can cast them a country mile. Some of you may want to give them a try if you haven't already. They are great trolled for eyes also.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts