Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Thought this would be a great topic. Even if your like Hammer with the tripod speakers, let me know what powers your jams?!

My Rig:

Sony CD indash reciever w/pilot control unit

Kicker 6ch Impulse amp

Speakers: Kicker KB600 enclosures, Kicker K65 coax's, Kicker Comp 10" 250watt sub

Rockford Fosgate 5" coax's in cabin

·
12,052 Posts
The tripod's were DJ Lou's. I just had one to spread it out a little and my generator ran to power the stuff.

My boat is:

Boston Pro Series 6.5 components (4 sets woofers and tweeters) with pro crossovers powered by a four channel 100x4 PPI amp.

Subs are JL Audio W3's (4-10") in a custom ported enclosure powered by (2) Competition Series Kicker ZR360 amps at factory tested 530 wattts each.

Clarion head unit and 6 disc changer through an Altec Lansing electronic crossover.

All monster MIT inter-connects and monster cable speaker wire.

Rockford Fosgate power distribution blocks from 4 batteries.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well Hammer, I guess you and I are the only ones with Kick-butt systems in our boat?! Over 30 people looked at this site, and no responses.............

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
I was reluctant since I've had 2 systems stolen in the past 3 years. Now if I get this one stolen, I know where to find some better replacements.

Sony CDX660 (?) CD head unit
4 6.5" Kicker Coax's
Clarion amp 50 X 4
8" Bazooka sub
Rockford Fosgate 160a2 amp 160w X 1
Access Technologies wired remote

·
Registered
18,824 Posts
well mine is not done yet, but what i do have for the boat
is (2) Kenwood 12" excelon sub woofers
(2) pair of Kenwood 6x9 4 way, excelon speakers.
Looking for a decent amp.... around 1,000 watt to run all.
split it up to the (4) 6x9 4ways, and then run sub off of it to, , built in cross over.. something simple, not to crazy.
Also looking for a decent reciever / cd player, with remote, Kenwood preferred, but not neccessary. Trying to keep reciver around $200-250.

That noise is just for the back of the boat area... cabin will still have the stock stereo in it.... am/fm cass...typical factory, cheap 1987 radio....

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Bill272: How does that bazooka sound? I used to have a bazooka back in my cruising Gratiot days. Wasn't that great. I have heard that they make some pretty kick a$$ stuff now. With much improvement.

·
12,052 Posts
Hey Eddie, You might consider buying separate amps for the highs and subs. It seems to be cheaper to buy two lower power amps than one big 1000watt or more like you said amp. It also allows you more room for change. My PPI is a true 100x4 and it was around $1000. I got the two Kicker 530watt amps for half that.

Oh I didn't mention my cabin speakers. Two Boston RX series 6x9 and two Boston RX series 6.5".

·
Registered
18,824 Posts
QUOTE(hammer @ Mar 10 2003, 06:16 PM)Hey Eddie, You might consider buying separate amps for the highs and subs. It seems to be cheaper to buy two lower power amps than one big 1000watt or more like you said amp. It also allows you more room for change. My PPI is a true 100x4 and it was around $1000. I got the two Kicker 530watt amps for half that.

Oh I didn't mention my cabin speakers. Two Boston RX series 6x9 and two Boston RX series 6.5".
Thanks Hammer....

Your boat rocks ! i have heard it, very good sound quality too

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The Bazooka is probably the weak link in the system. It sounds pretty good but it kind of runs out of steam at high volume. It's fine for 95% of our listening. I got it more for the portability and the fact that I didn't really want to build a box.I read somewhere on the web that if you replace the driver with an 8" Rockford sub it improves it dramatically.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The Rockford would probably make an improvement.

I had an 8" Pioneer box last year, and it did OK. I just built a box and upgraded to the Kicker 10", and that should really give the punch I need.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have to agree with Hammer on the seperate amps. Especially with the need for that much power. I have that Kicker amp with a sub crossover built in, but I am not dealing with that much power.

Can't wait to see and hear your system Ed.

You too Hammer, sounds impressive.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Good topic. Looking to upgrade from what came with the boat. Looking for a "creative installer". I have a CC type boat and a T-top. Anybody know of someone that I could contact for some installation. Thinking of a Clarion with some self contained speakers on the T-top and two aft. If you know someone, please advise. Thanks.

·
Registered
4,286 Posts
Hammer's sound system ROCKS!!!!!! Never heard suck a great sound from a boat before!!!

·
Registered
220 Posts
I noticed that some of you are not using marine audio equipment. Is this a problem in terms of corrosion and other factors? I have some nice equipment that's just sitting in there boxes right now and I was thinking about selling or trading them for some marine audio equipment because I didn't think I could put it in my boat. What do you guys think? This is what I have:

(4) 6.5" Infinity Kappa
(2) 4"x6" Clarion
(1) 8" Kicker Tube
(1) 5 Channel Clarion Amp

It would be going in a 32' so it would probably stay pretty dry. The speakers in the radar arch could be a problem if its raining. hmmm, dunno!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I have installed many a system in my day. I would say I am pretty creative about it. I build sub-boxes too. If ice or bill are interested, now would be a great time to hit me up for it.

I just made a sub-box for my boat. Turned out awesome. Instead of usual grey fabric covering you mostly see. I painted it with that Stone Creations paint. You really have to see to appreciate it.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Eaton: Don't even worry about it. The main difference with Marine grade stuff is most the time the magnets are sheilded so they don't mess with any of your gauges or compass. 99% of all speakers, especially coax speakers are made of a poly or plastic cone material. Paper cones are what you don't want if they will be exposed to sun or other weather.
And, as long as your speakers are not within a couple feet of your compass, it won't even affect it.
Do most you other guys agree?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
I had never heard about marine speakers being sheilded before, I thought "marine" was basically just for corrosion resistance. I do have a friend who's last boat had an in-dash stereo and his compass always read west.

Anyway, my head unit and amps are in the cabin, so they are standard car stuff. Cockpit speakers are Kicker 600M marine speakers that have mostly plastic construction and sound great. The remote is also for marine apps, but the sub is not (mounted under the bench). I had previously avoided marine stuff because it looked like mid-grade (at the very best) equipment that was just painted white or from manufacturers I never really heard of, or wouldn't buy anyway. I am happy with the system as it is now (maybe the sub upgrade) and really like the 600M's. It's not going to drown out Hammer's, but it's pretty loud and clean for what I have into it.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Sounds Kickin'.

I've heard those 600M's before and they sounded good. Actually the KB600's that I have are just this years new version of the 600M.

Let me know if you need my help with that sub upgrade?

·
12,052 Posts
There are some marine speakers out there with stainless or plastic construction. You will never get the quality or volume from "marine" speakers compared to what we are using. Remember the truck of your car is suceptible to moisture similar to a boat. The BIGGEST key to loud is efficiency!!! Check the db rating on your speakers. For every 3db less a speaker is than another you have to DOUBLE your power. Example: speaker a: is 90db with a 50 watt amp. Speaker b: is 87db, so it needs 100 watts to be as loud. There are other variables, so lets not get over technical here. You will notice that most marine speakers aren't very efficient.

·
Registered
220 Posts
This is all souding like good news. I think I will go ahead an put my equipment in. How much were those Kicker 600M's? I think I will try some of these in the Radar Arch since they will be the most exposed to moisture.

Has anyone tried XM Satellite on their boat? I have it for my car and house, but was thinking about trying it out on the water too. Just curious how well it works out there.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts