Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
18,804 Posts
QUOTE(Chefnutz @ Jul 28 2009, 08:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Just curious, how does MI B.A.S.S. run the forum when it is put up bu AMS web designs Captn'Mike and Rob?? Just curious????Powered By IP.Board © 2009 IPS, Inc. Licensed to: Advanced Media Solutions

Its not RUN by a board member, it is MODERATED by a board member. Hence the analogy of CONTROL.

I agree with Doug. It should have been left here and discussed in a civil manner.

A simple post stating that the original post described the actions of one or two anglers, NOT the organization. BUT the organization SHOULD take the information and inform its members that behavior like that is not tolerated.

Perhaps there is a conflict of interest having a board member of a tournament organization moderating a forum about tournaments. A non biased third party would possibly be a better fit. But then again, there are many conflicts of interest in tournament boards.

·
Premium Member
18,804 Posts
QUOTE(BryanP @ Jul 29 2009, 03:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I didn't see the initial post before it got pulled, but pretty much agree with a lot of the subsequent posters. The total lack of organization at the state tournaments is the reason why I quit participating in them. Sounds like things haven't changed. The pre tournament meeting and pairings takes way too long, and I'm still baffled why they don't have the day 2 pairings finalized before day 1 weigh-in. Expecting everyone to hang out for the entire drawn out weigh-in, and then hours after that to find out their day 2 partner is crazy. Stren Series never has this problem and they have way more anglers to worry about. Simply reverse the boat order for the day 2 blast off, and flip non-boaters every 2 boats (example--boat 1 and 2 switch co-anglers, 3 and 4, 5 and 6, etc....) That way you never have partners from that day draw each other again. Print day 2 partners name and cell on day 1 weigh slip, or post them on the weigh trailer. Inevitably, there will be broken down boats and a few will have to drop out, so deal with those on a case by case basis. Don't need to hold up the whole pairings in case someone drops.

I know being a board member is a thankless job, but that doesn't make half-assing it ok either. Some of this stuff, especially the pairings, is an easy fix.

It seems easy to do it that way Bryan but then you have the risk of having to participants from the same club in the same boat. That was a rule in the State Championship when I used to participate. I dont think it has changed.

As far as why it was pulled as a "troll", I dont know. Maybe I am confusing this with something else.....I read about a comment from a self proclaimed non tournament angler observing people standing in a parking lot with a bag full of bass and BSing instead of hurrying to get the fish into the weigh-in line. And the bag breaking with the fish spilling onto the ground and everyone laughing about it. This is NOT good publicity and should not be tolerated by any "conservation minded" organization. Sure accidents happen......If I am mistaken then I am sorry.

But I dont think a board member from a tournament organization should be moderating a board where tournament discussions (good or bad) happen. Nor do I think a board member/director from one organization should be a board member/director in another organization. But that is just my opinion, aonce again, we all know what thats worth.

I wont elaborate any further about recent events here. That will wait until Saturday morning

·
Premium Member
18,804 Posts
QUOTE(Chefnutz @ Jul 29 2009, 03:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Can someone explain to me what is the function of a co-angler? What do they do, how does the cost/ benifit differ from the primary, and what certifications, or credentials do you need to fish as a co- or as a pro, it is just interesting. Beyond knowing your targed species betterthen anyone, and lure selection, and safety. Just curious.

Thanks,

CV

Basically there are three formats for tournaments.

Draw tournament: One boat owner and one non boat owner are paired together with each getting 4 hours (of an 8 hour tournament) to fish their waters. They fish against each other and split costs. Usually laid out in the rules as a $20 minimum donation for boat gas.

Pro/Am: The boater (Pro) and the non-boater (Am) get paired together and the boater runs the show. Its up to them as to where they fish. The non boater can give input (and usually does) but neither the boater or non boater can carry any of that info over to the next day (rule violation). The non boater fishes out of the back of the boat and the boater out of the front of the boat. The boater does not fish against the non-boater as there are two divisions with differing entry fees and prizes, but the non-boater is obligated to help with expenses as laid out in the rules. USually $20 for boat gas is minimum.

Team: A preselected team enters a tournament and they work as a team to fish. They are not against each other, but rather with each other and split costs and prizes anyway they feel.

·
Premium Member
18,804 Posts
The Federation Nation State Championship is a draw tournament with pre-determined boaters and non boaters. But they still fish against each other.

All FLW Outdoors tournaments (BFL, Stren, FLW Tour) are Pro/Am formats.

Most open tournaments and NBAA, Tops Bass, Etc are Team events. Some organizations allow you to fish alone of you so choose as long as the tournament limit is equal to or less than the state allowed limit for one person.

·
Premium Member
18,804 Posts
As far as designation as a pro or boater, all it takes is the money to enter at most levels. The upper levels of the sport require you to advance from the lower levels. FLW Tour status is gained from success at the BFL or Stren Series levels.

Bassmaster Elite Tour status is gained from success ar the Federation Nation or BASS Open levels.

There is a ton more involved, but all that is the Cliff Notes version.

·
Premium Member
18,804 Posts
QUOTE(motocross269 @ Aug 3 2009, 08:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(Freek @ Aug 3 2009, 07:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hey fellas this tournament stuff is rediculous! I was out fun fishing the heel on saturday and saw a major violation of a state fish off angler. Trolling yes TROLLING!!!! As far as i know that is not legal in tournament fishing???When the wind quit this guy was draging a tube with is trolling motor? Looked it up, dude made the team! Glad i was just fun fishing! Also i was fishing with two rods and you should have seen the looks that i was geting from the same guy, freaking hilarious as he is trolling his tube.

I think it is pretty common practice to drag tubes around with your bow mount if the wind isn't quite right and you aren't getting the drift you want....I am not quite sure on how they define trolling, but I don't think there is anybody that hasn't had a bait in the water and used the TM to bring it into the zone..If they were going to enforce that rule then you wouldn't be able to touch the trolling motor with the bait in the water.....I think you are splitting hairs...JMHO

Trolling is in violation of any bass tournament I have fished. Yes it is a fine line and yes you CAN use your trolling motor to position the boat but not to impart action on the bait.

QUOTE(binkwood @ Aug 3 2009, 09:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(Freek @ Aug 3 2009, 07:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hey fellas this tournament stuff is rediculous! I was out fun fishing the heel on saturday and saw a major violation of a state fish off angler. Trolling yes TROLLING!!!! As far as i know that is not legal in tournament fishing???When the wind quit this guy was draging a tube with is trolling motor? Looked it up, dude made the team! Glad i was just fun fishing! Also i was fishing with two rods and you should have seen the looks that i was geting from the same guy, freaking hilarious as he is trolling his tube.
You had to know who the guy was to be able to look it up and see that he made the team. The fact that you went to the trouble of looking it up suggests there might be a little more to the story.....and I don't remember the wind stopping at all Saturday.

I dont remember the wind stopping either but if you were in protected areas from the wind....

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.