Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
958 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I started this season thrilled to be able to chase smallies on the legendary LSC. Possibly big'un too! Then I found this forum and began to chase my beloved smallies & learning the lake thanks to all the great advice here.

I was quite happy with that until I started loosing lures to the toothy critters. After 10 or so rattlin' raps disappearing I started to think about them toothy things that never liked to give my lures back. So I started paying more attention to the posts about'em, looked on youtube for vid's, found some cool articles online and even bought a few books. Now I can't get these [email protected] fish out of my head. If I'm on the lake all I can think about is chasin'em. Smallies have now become something to catch when my arms are ready to fall off from casting for 'skies or when I have someone in the boat that isn't prepared for the rigors of muskie casting.

What happened?
What is it about these [email protected] fish that is so.......... addicting!
The gear is expensive as h3ll, they're hard to catch, etc, etc....

WHY, WHY have I forsaken my once beloved smallies for these..these devil fish!
I just don't get it. Smallies are fun, pretty easy to catch and a whole lot cheaper to get gear for yet they've taken a backseat to muskies........

·
Registered
28,072 Posts
Hmm, I don't know about a backseat, but I'm finding a definate parallel in chasing both. Something new for me, but something fun at the same time.
More fishing, more thinking about fishing, more trying to think like a fish, and more fish dreams, if and when I find time to sleep

·
Registered
958 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
LOL! I agree. After doing nothin but eating and sleeping business for the last couple of years it's nice to have fish swimmin in my head again.
. I've missed them so much.

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
LOL, ive missed them to, i havent been fishing in prolly 15+ years. ive always wanted to go ice fishing but my old man hates the cold more than the experience. so after getting my last job, i hooked up with an old friend that went on the ice time to time, asked if he cared if i could go, and got hook'd and ready for the ice season, lol but im lovin the times on this beautiful lake of ours

it doesnt matter which fish your chasing, your thinking about em. but the more you spend, the more you think........i havent been fishin since sunday but im thinkin about em daily. maybe tomorrow, i think storms report said it was nice 6-10s maybe......

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
Welcome to the club heimskr. My name is Ken and I am a Musky addict.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I feel you heimskr. I've been fishing this lake mt whole life, landed my 1st on tuesday and i've been having musky dreams all week. There is something mystical about catching the top dog of the lake.

·
Registered
3,330 Posts
It's like getting that third cat.

Welcome to the addiction. May you also suffer happily, with many tooth marks on those expensive lures!

><{{{{{{{{*>

·
Registered
525 Posts
ooh the darkside. never tell your wife how much baits are. tell her those are night sweats, not musky fever. i know a few that have given up their sanity chasin skies. i am one of them. winters are a death sentence.

·
Registered
958 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I just spent all day doing the anchor bay lap chasin'em. I got a 40+ to boatside & then it threw the hook. (picture me hopping up and down hollerin' about "[email protected] Fish!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" While some guy that was fishin' off the back of his "pleasure boat" was standing there laughin at me) But I'm happy. At least I had the chance to get some teeth marks in one of my new spinner baits.

I also had 1 try to grab a slug-o as soon it hit the water but that was it for the skies today.

I'm sun burnt, tired, right hand feels like I have carpel tunnel setting in and the pinky is killin me but I'm happy!!!!
:D:D When all I was chasin was bass I would have called today a really, really bad day but for muskies today was great!

I finished off the day by picking up soule at the harley launch around 4 and caught a few largies before heading home. I tied on a gold colored rattlin rap & started catching'em but was coming up dry so I passed it off to him and he ended the day catching 1. At least he didn't get skunked!!

Oh and as for salmon fishin'...well I have 2 downriggers already mounted on the gunnels, 6 trolling rods, D-rigger clips, 2 dipsy divers and a box full of spoons............. I think my wife is gonna drill holes in the boat if salmon fishing is addicting as muskies.

·
Registered
4,568 Posts
QUOTE(Chefnutz @ Jul 9 2009, 10:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(Canuck @ Jul 9 2009, 05:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(islander @ Jul 9 2009, 02:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Whatever you do don't go salmon fishing!!

Yeah that!

I'll put a hell yea on that as well!!

That's straight out of a Kwame Kilpatric text message.

·
Registered
958 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I forgot about that one!
Not sure what it was 'skie or pike but it wasn't very big maybe 18" or so on a gold rattlin rap.

·
Registered
360 Posts
I have been chasing them for 31 years(took a little break to shoot sporting clays,got really good at it too).

There is something about working the rods,shaking weeds and throwing every lure in you own at them.

My father was consumed by them and it just became part of me.

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
QUOTE(heimskr @ Jul 9 2009, 08:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Oh and as for salmon fishin'...well I have 2 downriggers already mounted on the gunnels, 6 trolling rods, D-rigger clips, 2 dipsy divers and a box full of spoons............. I think my wife is gonna drill holes in the boat if salmon fishing is addicting as muskies.

Better get the patch ready

I still enjoy all other fishing but kings are my weakness. I started with the same gear you have and now have 250 spoons, 20 J plugs, 40 body baits, 20 flashers, 22 rod/reel combinations, 40 flies, 4 riggers,8 dipseys, 6 planer boards, and 24 rod holders. And I'm considered a light weight

·
Registered
4,278 Posts
QUOTE(heimskr @ Jul 9 2009, 09:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I just spent all day doing the anchor bay lap chasin'em. I got a 40+ to boatside & then it threw the hook. (picture me hopping up and down hollerin' about "[email protected] Fish!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" While some guy that was fishin' off the back of his "pleasure boat" was standing there laughin at me) But I'm happy. At least I had the chance to get some teeth marks in one of my new spinner baits.

I also had 1 try to grab a slug-o as soon it hit the water but that was it for the skies today.

I'm sun burnt, tired, right hand feels like I have carpel tunnel setting in and the pinky is killin me but I'm happy!!!!
:D:D When all I was chasin was bass I would have called today a really, really bad day but for muskies today was great!

I finished off the day by picking up soule at the harley launch around 4 and caught a few largies before heading home. I tied on a gold colored rattlin rap & started catching'em but was coming up dry so I passed it off to him and he ended the day catching 1. At least he didn't get skunked!!

Oh and as for salmon fishin'...well I have 2 downriggers already mounted on the gunnels, 6 trolling rods, D-rigger clips, 2 dipsy divers and a box full of spoons............. I think my wife is gonna drill holes in the boat if salmon fishing is addicting as muskies.

Get that boat out to Lake Michigan or Lake Erie. Salmon and steelhead fight much better than a muskie. I've had 20+ lbers to the boat only to see the boat and peel out 200 feet of line. I like to muskie fish, but if you want to fight a fresh water fish go to Manistee or Luddington next month.

·
Registered
958 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
QUOTE(islander @ Jul 10 2009, 11:00 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(heimskr @ Jul 9 2009, 08:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Oh and as for salmon fishin'...well I have 2 downriggers already mounted on the gunnels, 6 trolling rods, D-rigger clips, 2 dipsy divers and a box full of spoons............. I think my wife is gonna drill holes in the boat if salmon fishing is addicting as muskies.

Better get the patch ready

I still enjoy all other fishing but kings are my weakness. I started with the same gear you have and now have 250 spoons, 20 J plugs, 40 body baits, 20 flashers, 22 rod/reel combinations, 40 flies, 4 riggers,8 dipseys, 6 planer boards, and 24 rod holders. And I'm considered a light weight

Oh great.....I see a divorce in the future! I only have 6 boxes/bags of tackle and she's complaining now! Ah what the hell...if I walkout with my workout equipment, fishing gear, including boat, my jeep, tools to work on the boat, computer & clothes I'm good

1 - 20 of 26 Posts