Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Cant see the tail but the head looks like a lake trout haah kinda looks like a dog fish kinda but man that head looks like a lake trout.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Yep, Bowfin, also known as mudfish, grinnel and some other crazy names down south. Those suckers sure do fight though, don't they?

·
Registered
10,622 Posts

·
Registered
927 Posts
down in florida they call em mudfish. when i was 16 me and my then girlfriend went down to fish the big o. we had a guide and fished for 8 hours. the first spot we went to we caught a bunch of lunker largies for about an hour, then every fish after was a dogfish. my guide said 'hey man, thats a mudfish, thats no good, im gonna fix him' then he pulled out a fish bat and beat that fish silly, SILLY!! by the end of our stay in that spot there was a pile of about 12 beaten muddys on the bottom. it was kinda sad. i thought it was fun just to be catching some fish, but this guy was releaving himself of some stress or something. he sure could swing a fish bat.

madman himself

·
Sponsor Since 1/10
5,229 Posts
QUOTE(h2o @ Jun 30 2004, 03:38 PM)Also called lawyer, It's a bowfin, dog fish, pre-historic fish and it used to be said to kill them but that turned out to be not true. Great fighting fish and razor shape teeth. ( beware )

http://fishing.about.com/gi/dynamic/offsit...r%2Fbowfin.html

h2o<--says check it out
Actually, the lawyer-fish is a burbot, not a bowfin.

Interestingly enough, it is quite often substituted for lobster in many recipes, and the lawyer fish is often called the "poor man's lobster".

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the info.
Took a 14 Yr. old girl to the boat ( Daughters friend) never been fishing before, dropped a line in at the dock and in 15 min. she caught the dogfish ( 23") , a 16" catfish, a baby catfish and a small perch!!-she said "I like fishing".

·
Registered
10,622 Posts
QUOTE(Ken Neeley @ Jul 1 2004, 02:32 AM)QUOTE(h2o @ Jun 30 2004, 03:38 PM) Also called lawyer, It's a bowfin, dog fish, pre-historic fish and it used to be said to kill them but that turned out to be not true. Great fighting fish and razor shape teeth. ( beware )

http://fishing.about.com/gi/dynamic/offsit...r%2Fbowfin.html

h2o<--says check it out
Actually, the lawyer-fish is a burbot, not a bowfin.

Interestingly enough, it is quite often substituted for lobster in many recipes, and the lawyer fish is often called the "poor man's lobster".
It is called lawyer also but lawyer might be spelled differently, I'm sure it's called many things the fish with a million names lol

h2o<----maybe lauyer

·
Registered
882 Posts
In Louisiana they call them a Shoe Pick.
In Florida we called them a Mud Fish.
Also known as a Grinnel and Bowfin.
They like to roll when hooked. I have caught some big ones down in Florida. 20+ lbs.
I was never sure if that was the fish refered to as a Dog Fish. I thought it was the one with legs. Oh well you learn something new every day.

·
Registered
790 Posts
Although the look very similar, a Burbot, Lota lota (Lawyer) and Bowfin, Amia calva (Dogfish) are completely different fish. The picture at the beginning of this thread is that of a Bowfin and not a Burbot.

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
the ones with legs are called ud puppies aren they?my faher was telling e about how he and y other would go fishing when they were younger off the dock on the clnton river, and would catch all these ud puppies, the ones with legs, and theyd put the in a bucket and listen to them grunt....the other day i saw a dead mud puppie floating in the slip next to the waverunner in the canal, and it had little legs...I also have cought the dogfish in the canal, and they do put up a good fight on light tackle, and man they get big, you see them swim just under the surface in the evenings and there is a few of them, and one of them is absolutely huge, you never see them after the spring time-mid summer, and they are tough to catch, the one i cought i cought with blue gill as bait, and the funny thing was the blue gill died and was floating back to the sea wall, and all the sudden this dogfish coms up and just gulped the whole thing, then i realizd that was my line too, fun fish.

·
Registered
790 Posts
The mud puppy, necturus maculosus, is actually an aquatic salamander and is not related to either the Bowfin (Dogfish) or Burbot (Lawyer). The mud puppy does have legs and exposed gills and is highly beneficial to the ecosystem.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts