Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
19,233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 11 yr. old and my husband thought she needs to buy one at 12, I'm thinking younger....do I need to get her one so "I" don't get a ticket, lol.

·
Registered
6,969 Posts

·
Registered
19,233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you, Zib! That is what we found, but I wanted to double check....Kinda funny if you put my 11 yr. olds age in the MDNR site to buy a fishing license it will let you spend the money when you don't need to.

·
Registered
6,969 Posts
QUOTE(threecrabs @ Jun 27 2009, 10:59 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Thank you, Zib! That is what we found, but I wanted to double check....Kinda funny if you put my 11 yr. olds age in the MDNR site to buy a fishing license it will let you spend the money when you don't need to.

That's because they offer a "Voluntary" youth license for $2. I guess it would make some kids feel happy to have a license of their own.

·
Registered
19,233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
QUOTE(Zib @ Jun 27 2009, 11:02 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(threecrabs @ Jun 27 2009, 10:59 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Thank you, Zib! That is what we found, but I wanted to double check....Kinda funny if you put my 11 yr. olds age in the MDNR site to buy a fishing license it will let you spend the money when you don't need to.

That's because they offer a "Voluntary" youth license for $2. I guess it would make some kids feel happy to have a license of their own.

Does it charge $2 in the end? It was giving me full prices....
It didn't like me!

Most kids would like their own
, something tells me my little stinker would like to think she's living on the edge and fishing w/o one...risking getting caught!
I'm in trouble in a few years....

·
Registered
6,969 Posts
QUOTE(threecrabs @ Jun 27 2009, 11:14 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(Zib @ Jun 27 2009, 11:02 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(threecrabs @ Jun 27 2009, 10:59 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Thank you, Zib! That is what we found, but I wanted to double check....Kinda funny if you put my 11 yr. olds age in the MDNR site to buy a fishing license it will let you spend the money when you don't need to.

It didn't like me!

, something tells me my little stinker would like to think she's living on the edge and fishing w/o one...risking getting caught!

I think you have to choose the voluntary youth license otherwise they will give you the standard lic.

My daughter is only 7 so I have a while before I need to stock up on 12 gauge shells & keep a shovel in my truck.

·
Registered
19,233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Enjoy her while you can....she'll be grown up before you know it.

we have a 19 yr. old, too. They joke together (11 and 19 yr. old), "we are bad, but our parents still love us anyway". They are cute for a reason, lol

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
For every license sold in Mi the state gets approx. $8 in Fed funds devoted to Fish & wildlife. So for the $2 license you are actually providing $10 to preserving our hunting and fishing. Not that I'm a big proponent of giving more money to govt but the Fed $ provided comes from taxes we already pay on hunting and fishing gear. Might as well come back to our state.

·
Registered
6,511 Posts
I would get her a voluntary one because for every license sold the state get federal money back. Oops sorry that was stated already. guess I should read the whole topic.

·
Registered
19,233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
QUOTE(Big Dog @ Jun 27 2009, 05:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>So the burning question is...
when and where are you guys going fishing?

Early one morning!
Not sure when, but soon....we'll be the only jet boat fishing out there, lol. I'm excited!

and, I ended up buying a license for my 11 yr. old....if it helps fish and wildlife I'm all for it. Plus, it was funny making her give a autograph.

See ya all out there!

·
Registered
13 Posts
QUOTE(threecrabs @ Jun 27 2009, 11:14 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(Zib @ Jun 27 2009, 11:02 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(threecrabs @ Jun 27 2009, 10:59 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Thank you, Zib! That is what we found, but I wanted to double check....Kinda funny if you put my 11 yr. olds age in the MDNR site to buy a fishing license it will let you spend the money when you don't need to.

It didn't like me!

the $2 one is an all species license and is only expected to have one if you are salmon or trout fishing, other than that, anyone under 17 fishes as if they have a license.

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
QUOTE(DoubleDLadie @ Jun 28 2009, 10:59 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(threecrabs @ Jun 27 2009, 11:14 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(Zib @ Jun 27 2009, 11:02 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(threecrabs @ Jun 27 2009, 10:59 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Thank you, Zib! That is what we found, but I wanted to double check....Kinda funny if you put my 11 yr. olds age in the MDNR site to buy a fishing license it will let you spend the money when you don't need to.

It didn't like me!

the $2 one is an all species license and is only expected to have one if you are salmon or trout fishing, other than that, anyone under 17 fishes as if they have a license.

The age requirement has nothing to do with species. Under the age of 17 you do not need a license for any species. Yes it is called an all species license but regardless it is a completely voluntary purchase.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
This was copied directly from the DNR website:

Possession Limit is equal to the Daily Limit. Except a person may possess up to two (2) additional limits of coho, chinook, or pink salmon taken during previous fishing days provided that the additional limits are processed fish (canned, cured by smoking or drying, or frozen). Anglers who have not attained the age of 17 are entitled to the possession limit even though they do not have a fishing license. A person fishing waters bordered by other states or provinces AND possessing multiple fishing licenses may possess the limit allowed for ONLY ONE license while in transit, but while fishing in Michigan waters, must comply with Michigan possession and size limits.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts