Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The last few times out, the Coast Guard were boarding random boats all day. I do appreciate the CG keeping our borders safe, but WTF is the deal with this?

I am paranoid that I will be targeted next, not that I am smuggling cubans or anything, but I can pretty much guarantee that they could find some sort of violation on most boats out there.

For you that have been boarded already, what are they asking to see? I want to be completely ready for them when my time comes.

Thanks

·
Registered
603 Posts
QUOTE(slingshot @ Sep 1 2009, 11:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>The last few times out, the Coast Guard were boarding random boats all day. I do appreciate the CG keeping our borders safe, but WTF is the deal with this?

I am paranoid that I will be targeted next, not that I am smuggling cubans or anything, but I can pretty much guarantee that they could find some sort of violation on most boats out there.

For you that have been boarded already, what are they asking to see? I want to be completely ready for them when my time comes.

Thanks

Where have the boardings been taking place? Last I heard was Thunder Boat races & Red Bull planes both in the river?

·
Registered
22,946 Posts
Last week down river the CG, Homeland/Board, Sherif, AND the DNR were circling like vultures at the north mouth of the Livingstone Channel. No disrespect intended, but either every boat in the channel looked suspect, or quotas were running low.

I've yet to be stopped this year (but expecting it soon), but usually get stopped a couple times a year. They want IDs, registration, fire extinguishers, life jackets, bilge blower, horn and whistle.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
There were at least 3 CG boats doing the checks. They were all over the lake, from Detroit River area to Gull Island. I was fishing on the Canadian side of the shipping channel and watched them go from boat to boat.

Horn and a whistle is the only type of signaling device needed? Sorry, I know that we should all know this!

·
Premium Member
18,804 Posts
With some of the crap I see out there I like to see them (unless I am running back to the weigh-in).

I thank them every time I have been boarded.

With the increase in fatalities the past couple of years, the recent fight in Muscamoot, Homeland Security issues, etc. They SHOULD be out there!!!

Just have your ducks in a row, be sober (or have a sober driver) and you wont have much of an issue. Just a few moments of your time to insure the safety of you and others out there.

·
Vendor
14,664 Posts
I have been near the CG quite a few times this summer and when they have seen my inspection sticker on my side window from the CGAUX for safety they have just given me a nod and off they go. Maybe because I am also older with gray hair that their not interested????
But, I have all of my ducks in a row so to speak if they do board me...

Hmmmmmm, I wonder where my fishing license went to now? Maybe in my tackle box???

·
Registered
3,013 Posts
Having grey hair didn't help me Sunday morning. I was stopped by the CG at the entrance to the North Channel from the St Clair River. They wanted to see the usual stuff - boat registration, life vests, throwables, fire extinguishers - then came aboard to look in my engine compartment. Once aboard he glanced in the cuddy and was obviously looking for something.

I think he was looking for signs of alcohol, be it empties or full ones, and then he would have made me take the blow test. Found only water bottles and sent us on our way. I was traveling with a large group of boats and the only other boat stopped was also a go fast. I believe I was profiled for whatever reason.

There is a whole thread about this topic across the pond.

·
Registered
10,183 Posts
QUOTE(slingshot @ Sep 1 2009, 11:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><snip>

Horn and a whistle is the only type of signaling device needed? Sorry, I know that we should all know this!

It depends... on the class of boat. If under 39', then then a whistle or horn is acceptable. If over 39', then you also need a bell.

I am *very* curious if people are receiving citations for anything or if these are boardings for safety checks and potential immigration issues. I have heard a lot of talk about increased activity on the North Channel too.

I know *legally* they have the right to board a boat whenever they want, but I view my boat as an extension of my home (and *legally*, it is a second home!). I would *not* want the police to randomly walk in my front door and walk through my house looking for potential "safety" violations - I'm sure they'd find some in my house, just like they'd find some in just about every house out there. When I went to the sheriff's safe boating course, the deputy made it VERY clear to the attendees that he *absolutely could* find something on every boat to write a citation about, and gave numerous examples throughout the course, and if you give them *any* flak, you WILL get one of those.

That said, I have *no* problem with them boarding a boat (mine included) that shows indications of a problem.. either poor seamanship (no wake violation, discourteous behavior, dangerous operation, dragging anchor, etc), defective equipment (lights out, etc), or suspicious activity (stalking a freightor, loitering around a bridge, etc).

Just because they see empties on a boat, doesn't mean there's a problem. It IS legal to drink on a boat, just not legal to be drunk or impaired.

·
Registered
15,073 Posts
QUOTE(KMC @ Sep 2 2009, 08:23 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>It depends... on the class of boat. If under 39', then then a whistle or horn is acceptable. If over 39', then you also need a bell.
The DNR has 26' as the length for a bell. There has been a LOT of discussion on that issue. I went ahead and got a bell when I was dinged (again) for not having one during my power squadron safety inspection.

·
Registered
10,183 Posts
QUOTE(Stodge @ Sep 2 2009, 08:48 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(KMC @ Sep 2 2009, 08:23 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>It depends... on the class of boat. If under 39', then then a whistle or horn is acceptable. If over 39', then you also need a bell.
The DNR has 26' as the length for a bell. There has been a LOT of discussion on that issue. I went ahead and got a bell when I was dinged (again) for not having one during my power squadron safety inspection.

I am *not* questioning what you were told, or the choice of getting a bell, but I just happened to have my DNR book within reach, so I looked this up. I also checked the online DNR site to see if it agrees with the book (which doesn't always happen to be the case).

It states "if on state waters", for vessels "16' up to 26' and under engine power" the requirement is "Whistle audible for at least one-half mile", for "26' and longer and under engine power" the requirement is "Whistle audible for at last one mile". Then, "if on Federally controlled waters", for vessels "less than 65.6'" the requirement is "Whistle or horn audible for at least one-half mile" and for "65.6' or longer" it is "Whistle or horn and and bell audible for at least one mile"

I point this out because it conflicts with what you were told, the USPS Boating Course info and my previous knowledge from the USCG Boating Safety course (and I think Chapman's, but I dont' have that handy right now)

How is *anyone* supposed to be compliant when the "official" documented sources are not even consistent or clearly available to operators???

This is another reason why anyone should be concerned if they were boarded... if you don't *know* what the rules are, how can you be *sure* you're compliant??

·
Registered
10,183 Posts
QUOTE(Stodge @ Sep 2 2009, 08:48 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(KMC @ Sep 2 2009, 08:23 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>It depends... on the class of boat. If under 39', then then a whistle or horn is acceptable. If over 39', then you also need a bell.

It's interesting that you got dinged by the Power Squadron, but it's THEIR book that I looked it up on initially!!

·
Registered
11,047 Posts
KMC - that issue has been beaten to death here. It was clarified the law changed a few years ago but some inspectors are still going by the old checklist apparently.

I even looked up the old actual law, and it is not there anymore.

·
Registered
11,047 Posts

·
Registered
625 Posts
What is the deal with all the CG boardings?

Really... does that suprise you?

Did any recent b.s. happen that may have irritated the local authorities into stepping up patrols?

I'm gonna go out on a limb here & say maybee those fights out there threw a flag up, & somebody said thats enough.

So now they are making thier presence known, & stepping up patrols, & boardings.

Another example of a action/reaction...

You cant fix stupid, & theres still no cure for dumb!

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
The DHS has some funding now. thus more patrols, the camera, and the hiring of people. I know I.T. people that have interviewed in the detroit area. The federal goverment pay scale has benn "caught up" over the last 8 years or so to compete with the private sector too.

·
Registered
11,047 Posts
I'm not sure what the fights have to do with the CG. Sheriff yes - not the Coast Guard.

I suspect it has just a tad more to do with border security.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.