Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner

What it all means?

987 views 14 replies 11 participants last post by  No More Mini 
#1 ·
Amongst all this DNR stuff and with the season just around the corner, I took a step back to recall what it all really means. Thought you might enjoy it.

I am 7-8 years old, it is 4:30 AM and mom and dad wake my sister (5-6) and I up from a dead sleep to head out to the lake for a day of fishing. Mom has made some fried egg sandwiches and has the fried chicken she made the day before in a basket for lunch.

Off we go to a little launch on Orchard Lake where we rent a boat and motor. I think Pop pays $10 or $15 for a day's rental from the little white building with all the pictures on the wall of big fish caught in the past for the lake. I remember thinking how one day I would have my picture up there. This was just one of many memorable moments etched in my mind from time spent with my folks fishing.

What does it really mean?

Little did I know that I would be this invovled and part of such a passion as bass fishing. I have met so many good friends and have made more memories to go with my old ones. At times I let the sport consume me. And has important as this sport is to me, there are those times when I lose sight of why I do it. The time, aggrevation, money, broken rigs, and I could go on and on...

Then one day I wake up early on a Saturday morning. My wife made some fried egg sandwiches and my son is rubbing his eyes has he wakes up while it is still dark outside. On this day, I spend my time watching my son reel in a fish with a smile from ear to ear...

...then I realize this is what it all means.

Thanks mom and dad.

See less See more
#2 ·
Mountainous GTerrien Mountainous.

h2o<--says fantastic

#5 ·
That's awesome George...I look back at all the great times I had fishing Lake Orion in the early 70's when I was a wee lad. We would sit on the end of the dock with a bamboo rod and a can of worms and catch bluegill, sunfish and crappie all day long. And then, when the sun went down, we dug through what was left of the worms and caught bullheads. On occasion, my grandfather would take me out in the small aluminum row boat for bass (until I started out-fishing him
). I now look at my 2 month old daughter and look forward to watching her catch her first fish...it puts a huge smile on my face just thinking about it...

#6 ·
George that is what it is all about.

My son turns 11 this month and he loves to fish and fish tournaments as well. Since he was old enough to hold a fishing pole in his hand he has wanted nothing better to do all summer but ride in the Bass Boat with dad. He loves to fish and he loves catching bass, walleye and toothy critters.

It breaks my heart every time that bass boat leaves the driveway with him standing in it, with that sad look in his eyes you could only get from missing out on a day of fishing. You can't always take them with you but you can sure try. I have the greatest respect for a boy who can stand for hours in a rainstorm and never complain. The boy loves to fish and I love to take him.

I am deeply saddened that we must now defend a sport we dearly love.

#8 ·
I am proud to defend it but saddened that I must defend it.

#9 ·
I fished with my Dad from 1929 until 1971. I lost him in 1973 but I will never forget all the great times I had with him. I have taken all my kids fishing and all of my grand kids except my one grand daugher. Am looking forward to next year when I will take her and her daughter my Great Grand Daughter fishing. Lif eis all about Family and doing things togeater especially fishing... Bob

#10 ·
Maybe all I really want is a longer season to build up just that many more memories...

#11 ·
Dan give me a call when you get sometime today.

810-658-2540

#12 ·
this all brings back great memories to me as well. waking up early on saturday mornings and watching bill dance and hank parker. saving up my allowance to buy a zebco fishing kit complete with 1 million chartreuse mini grubs that smelled like licorice. standing atop the slide on our swing set and casting for hours into the small blue pool in the yard next door. wishing someone would take me fishing. begging my parents to take me to a lake and never succeeding at talking them into it. riding my bike to the rouge river and coming home with a rash and then getting grounded.

god i love this sport

madman himself

#13 ·
QUOTE(John Maniaci @ May 20 2004, 08:46 AM)That was great George. Kinda makes me wish my dad took a liking to this sport the way I do. It was my mom who actually took me fishing the first time.

Mini
Maybe you just have to teach him, Mini. That's what I've done. My dad would never fish if it weren't for me getting him into to it. You should hear him now....he gets more excited to go out then I do sometimes.

#14 ·
Maybe you just have to teach him, Mini. That's what I've done. My dad would never fish if it weren't for me getting him into to it. You should hear him now....he gets more excited to go out then I do sometimes. [/quote]
I taught my dad how to fish too. We lived near a pond and I would ride my bike there every day and fish from the bank. I used to beg my dad to come down there with me after work. One day he finally broke down and came with me. We caught bluegill and bull heads from dusk until dark on worms and bobbers and had a great time. To my surprise, the next day after work, he asked me if I wanted to go. This went on for about 2 weeks. One day he came home late from work with a 16ft. canoe in the back of his truck. We fished every weekend for about 2 years in that canoe before he bought our first boat (16 foot grumman w/ 25hp merc.)

The rest, as they say, is history.......

Hello. My name is Marke and I am ADDICTED to fishing.

#15 ·
Would love to have had the chance. This November will be the 26th anniversary of his passing, God rest his soul. He is buried in Arlington,

Still trying to get Mom out now and again, but she doesnt know how (doesnt WANT to know how) to use a rod and reel. When she fished in Newfoundland, they jigged by hand! HArd to beleive that I am in the fishing business and she doesnt know how to use a rod and reel....then again she barely understands the garage door opener! lol

Mini

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.