Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have always wanted one of those bass boats, but now that I know those boats dont do so well in the big water I think I will look to go another way. What is the most economical and universal fishing boat to purchase? New or used? If you have a picture of one that would be nice to see.

·
Premium Member
3,916 Posts
Center console, muskie hull.

Economic? No. Perfect for the lake? Yes. You can get center consoles on the cheap though. But I think a deep V, glass hull with a center console interior is prime for LSC.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
QUOTE(Wishin2bFishin @ Jun 9 2009, 03:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I have always wanted one of those bass boats, but now that I know those boats dont do so well in the big water I think I will look to go another way. What is the most economical and universal fishing boat to purchase? New or used? If you have a picture of one that would be nice to see.

I had my bass boat in 3-4 footers most of last week..So don't let that shy you away..

There are a million questions you have to ask yourself when it comes to buying a boat....
A few are...
1. How much can I afford??
2. What lakes will I mostly be fishing in?? (inland or great)
3. Do I want to have the ability to troll
4. Do I want to run in Shallow water.
5. What kind of Tow vehicle do I have??
6. How big of lake runs will I be making??
7. How much will I trailer the boat??
8. Are livewells important?
9. Do I want to fish tournaments
10 Do I care about how comfortable my Co anglers are??
11. What kind of Local service is avalable..And how easy are parts and service info to get from the manufacturer..
12..ETC ETC

There are some great deals on used boats right now..Take your time, get some type of focus on what you want and you should be able to easily find something that will give you alot of years of fishing enjoyment...

Essoxfly's boat is a great platform, along with Glass Walleye rigs(Ranger 620) for LSC,,,

·
Registered
140 Posts
QUOTE(esoxfly @ Jun 9 2009, 06:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(motocross269 @ Jun 9 2009, 05:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Essoxfly's boat is a great platform, along with Glass Walleye rigs(Ranger 620) for LSC,,,

Thanks. That's actually a 620 hull under that center console. Best of both worlds.

Depends how serious you are...personally I would choose a triton 215X or a ranger 620 or 621 ( i currently run a 22 ft triton bass boat, but if you dont know how to drive you will get pounded and very wet until you learn)...definatly a glass boat though...make sure that you have enough power too..no less than 225hp on either of those units...

As far as new or used...there is NEVER a good argument for buying a used high hp motor in my opinion...one decent sized repair and you will loose of the benefit of buying used, plus then you will always question the reliablity of your motor and not feel comfortable making lnger runs..coming from a guy that has experienced catostrophic failure more than twice on used motors..BUY NEW and buy as much extended warranty as you can from a reputable source (preferably factory).

just my 1/50th of $ worth...

·
Registered
6 Posts
if it was me gettin a new or used boat i would get something similar to ESOXFLY'S Ranger center consol on that 600 series hull, that thing is the sh*t (very nice boat).

his boat will handle it all in these big waters or it will run skinny enough run in tight to shore.

ill keep wishin i had his ride though.

·
LSCN Sponsor since March 2010
2,212 Posts
Lund, It's a great boat handles the lake great would not have anything else but a bigger Lund. And it's also great for smaller inland lakes Look at deep-V's for a good big lake boat

Boat trailer Boat Wheel Tire Watercraft

Automotive parking light Tire Wheel Sky Car

Attachments

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
Alot of used boats and motors have transferable warranties.....I have seen alot of 50 hour motors with warranties out to 2012...Bass Cat boat hull warranties are transferrable lifetime, I am not sure about the rest, but I would bet most can be transferred to a second buyer...
With the mark down and alot of "Over Financed" sellers out there, I would not hesitate to look at used....

Here is a used 06 Pantera classic for 16 Grand...These are the types of deals that are out there...Lifetime hull warranty and Warranty still left on the Motor...
Pantera Classic

I know a few guys that run these hulls on LSC....19 Ft with a 200 outboard..Nothing wrong with that...

·
Registered
4,568 Posts
I love mine. It's great for duck hunting, jigging the rivers, dragging harnesses (although it could use a bow mouted trolling motor), and it even pulled a tuber last year on a bet. that being said, my ultimate boat would be a War Eagle with a center console.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
Bass Boats are fine on LSC - just keep it to 19' and longer (Longer is better - 22' is best unless you plan to spend a lot of time in canals). All of the major bass boat manufacturers build good boats these days.

If I had to do it all over again and was going to drop $50K+ on another boat for LSC/Erie, it would a Ranger 620 with 225 and 15 hp kicker.

On the other hand, my Champion is paid off so that's the best kind of boat to have!

·
Registered
140 Posts
QUOTE(motocross269 @ Jun 9 2009, 07:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Alot of used boats and motors have transferable warranties.....I have seen alot of 50 hour motors with warranties out to 2012...Bass Cat boat hull warranties are transferrable lifetime, I am not sure about the rest, but I would bet most can be transferred to a second buyer...
With the mark down and alot of "Over Financed" sellers out there, I would not hesitate to look at used....

Here is a used 06 Pantera classic for 16 Grand...These are the types of deals that are out there...Lifetime hull warranty and Warranty still left on the Motor...
Pantera Classic

I know a few guys that run these hulls on LSC....19 Ft with a 200 outboard..Nothing wrong with that...

True statement moto...i guess my point was get an engine with waranty...BAD THINGS WILL HAPPEN, and they will cost you...LOL Lifetime warranty on hulls are good too.

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
QUOTE(D-Man @ Jun 9 2009, 08:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(motocross269 @ Jun 9 2009, 07:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Alot of used boats and motors have transferable warranties.....I have seen alot of 50 hour motors with warranties out to 2012...Bass Cat boat hull warranties are transferrable lifetime, I am not sure about the rest, but I would bet most can be transferred to a second buyer...

Pantera Classic

True statement moto...i guess my point was get an engine with waranty...BAD THINGS WILL HAPPEN, and they will cost you...LOL Lifetime warranty on hulls are good too.

I agree....In a couple of years I will need to make the decision to repower or buy new....It used to be a no brainer, but now with the price of boats repowering is a viable answer.....Esoxfly just went through repowering so he knows the score....

·
Registered
84 Posts
QUOTE(Wishin2bFishin @ Jun 9 2009, 02:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I have always wanted one of those bass boats, but now that I know those boats dont do so well in the big water I think I will look to go another way. What is the most economical and universal fishing boat to purchase? New or used? If you have a picture of one that would be nice to see.

My strong recommendation would be a Ranger Fisherman 620. Handles Lake St. Clair and the Detroit River like a dream.
Tire Vehicle Wheel Car Hood

Attachments

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
QUOTE(musky50 @ Jun 9 2009, 08:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(Wishin2bFishin @ Jun 9 2009, 02:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I have always wanted one of those bass boats, but now that I know those boats dont do so well in the big water I think I will look to go another way. What is the most economical and universal fishing boat to purchase? New or used? If you have a picture of one that would be nice to see.

My strong recommendation would be a Ranger Fisherman 620. Handles Lake St. Clair and the Detroit River like a dream.
View attachment 62294

Wow !! that looks like a VERY SEXY MACHINE

·
Registered
49 Posts
QUOTE(Wishin2bFishin @ Jun 9 2009, 03:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I have always wanted one of those bass boats, but now that I know those boats dont do so well in the big water I think I will look to go another way. What is the most economical and universal fishing boat to purchase? New or used? If you have a picture of one that would be nice to see.

there is a used bass boat for sale at Jimmy's shop, go check out! 2500~3000

·
Registered
6,511 Posts
QUOTE(Grapes @ Jun 9 2009, 07:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I love mine. It's great for duck hunting, jigging the rivers, dragging harnesses (although it could use a bow mouted trolling motor), and it even pulled a tuber last year on a bet. that being said, my ultimate boat would be a War Eagle with a center console.
great name on the boat that is funny cause that is what my fiance keeps saying is. as much as i work on my boat it is like having another woman in the house. I love it. Great name.

·
Registered
6,511 Posts
My 1968 lone star hankdles lake st clair decent. But i'd love a newer model but hey got to go with the cheaper boat for me. Cost with all the work $650. But I still love Jeff's (esoxfly's) boat.

Vehicle registration plate Automotive lighting Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bumper

Car Vehicle Gear shift Motor vehicle Steering wheel

Attachments

1 - 20 of 29 Posts