Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11,681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my brother (cks-lil-bro) is shopping for a boat for the first time. it will be used mainly for fishing LSC and inland lakes (like otsego). it will be for him, his wife & 4 year old son as well as guests.

they don't know too much about boat brands, types, etc, the difference between in/outboard (except the obvious-so which is better?), but they think they may want a cabin or a cutty in which to use a porta-john. a 19-23'.

suggestions? help?

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
How much would he like to spend? This will determine style and brand of boat. One thing I always want in a boat....to be able to sell to the next buyer. So he shouldn't buy a boat that others won't like in 2 -4 years.

·
Registered
44 Posts
We just bought our boat in march after looking all winter, a couple suggestions i kept getting were to buy used for your first boat,more boat for your dollar less pain if (when) you scratch it , and to have a survey done so you know what you are getting and the surveyor will explain whats what. we didn't know exactly what type of boat we wanted so just kept looking and narrowing our search. hope that helps dennis

·
Registered
11,681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
he's not sure on price range, and he wants to buy new as to not inherit other's problems. i already told him the mantra of "B.O.A.T." to which neither he nor my sister-in-law did not laugh (
), but i'm sure he does not want to spend a whole lot.

i suggested a 1-2 year old boat, but he's still open to lots of options.

·
Registered
316 Posts
ck
I have a boat for sale that would be a perfect first boat. It was our first, and we used it for three wonderful summers, never having a problem.
The boat is a 22 foot 1993 Bayliner bowrider, very spacious with loads of extras. Comes with a trailer and even has an enclosed compartment with a porta-potty. Has rodholders, live well, fishfinder, GPS chartplotter, etc., etc.
Only asking $8500 obo.
usedboats.com
It is ad 138379 on usedboats.com
Joyce

·
Registered
11,681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks joyce! i sent him the link!

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
I'd be happy to give my $.02 about types of boats I would and would not buy. I'm sure others will also. There will be lots a diff't views in a public forum which may really confuse your brother.

I would suggest having go to Metro over Memorial Weekend and walk up and down the docks to see the types of boats people have. This would give him the opportunity to view MANY styles and sizes.

Just let me know if he wants to talk.

·
Registered
11,681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
well, he decided on a 19' rinker bowrider brand new from metro boat sales over on crocker/jefferson. went to look at it sunday with him... he loves it. it IS a beautiful boat, and the price wasn't too bad either. it's loaded with everything he could get on it, except GPS. had to explain what it was. lol.

welcome to the b.o.a.t. club, bro!

so that's the outcome.

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
Once he's been into boating awhile, he'll be more comfortable looking at good used boats. If you buy a quality boat from a first owner, or a meticulous second owner, you can get alot of boat for your money. For example, my buddy sold his '85 29 foot Trojan, kind of an amberjack model for fishing but with a nice little cabin, for about 25 grand. Twin 318s, huge bow to handle rough water, one hell of a boat. I hear a bigtime musky fisherman is enjoying it down near the Black River. That boat was spotless - my buddy even had some little fiberglass blister repaired and put dripless fittings on the thruhull shafts.

You buy a quality, well kept boat and you can sell it without too much of a loss, if any.

I hope your brother enjoys his boat for many years - Rinker is a good craft.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts