Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What line is everyone using to drag tubes and drop-shot for smallmouth up in the St. Clair River. I've tried mono (too stretchy), flourocarbon (too wirey), and fireline (can't see it).

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
I have used yellow fireline or powerpro in about 14# test with a swivel and a 18" leader of mono and have done just fine with that. Maybe that would work for you. Basically, it's my walleye jigging set-up but I tie on a tube and drag that.

·
Registered
3,155 Posts
10# Seagur floro. best i have ever used and i have been through ALOT of diffrent lines

·
Registered
605 Posts
Im all for the seagar too. Best flourocarbon, softest and good with knots. I wonder how those fancy jap lines are, but at $30 for 75yrds I dont know

·
Registered
5 Posts
I always use braid for draggin tubes and I prefer Suffix 10lb in the green color. The sensitivity and strength is incredible. As for drop shot, I usually run a flurocarbon line in the 8-10lb range.

·
Registered
179 Posts
8lb yellow flourescent power pro sampo ballbearing swivel and 8 to 10 lb flourocarbon leader of your choice. i don't like vanish, i think seaguar is the best. i also use the swivel with the drop shot to eliminate twisting.

·
Premium Member
18,804 Posts
I use Bass Pro Excel Braid, Magibraid or PowerPro. IF I use a leader it is XPS Flourocarbon.....sometimes with a SPRO swivel for dragging, always with a SPRO swivel for dropshotting.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Dropshotting in that current results in immediate massive line twist if you don't use a swivel. I gave up using leaders when dragging 'cause it takes too long to rerig if (when) you snag and break off. Doesn't seem to matter to the fish. Looks like fireline crystal is the way to go. I was using the grey stuff and I can't see it at all, I need to see the line to keep it vertical. Can you see the crystal better than the grey?

·
LSCN Sponsor since 12/07
2,539 Posts
QUOTE(tmonaghan @ Jul 14 2009, 09:41 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Dropshotting in that current results in immediate massive line twist if you don't use a swivel. I gave up using leaders when dragging 'cause it takes too long to rerig if (when) you snag and break off. Doesn't seem to matter to the fish. Looks like fireline crystal is the way to go. I was using the grey stuff and I can't see it at all, I need to see the line to keep it vertical. Can you see the crystal better than the grey?
I switched to baitcasting gear for my drop-shot and it's been working great. No problems at all with line twist - current or no current. At least, if the line is twisting it's not giving me fits.

A client gave me a new rod instead of cash for a tip - pretty sweet deal. It's a B&R Outlaw rod, 7' lite action. So far it's working like a champ for drop-shotting.

·
Registered
28,072 Posts
QUOTE(tmonaghan @ Jul 14 2009, 09:41 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Dropshotting in that current results in immediate massive line twist if you don't use a swivel. I gave up using leaders when dragging 'cause it takes too long to rerig if (when) you snag and break off. Doesn't seem to matter to the fish. Looks like fireline crystal is the way to go. I was using the grey stuff and I can't see it at all, I need to see the line to keep it vertical. Can you see the crystal better than the grey?

I can see it much better.

·
Registered
611 Posts
@LMP Isn't tracer for baitcasting reels? I've seen it and like the concept. I went thorugh a ton of line up north fishing with my family and am about to respool a few spinning reels that got some much twist that evern dragging the line behind the boat for a mile didn't relieve the twist.......

·
Premium Member
18,804 Posts
The swivel, as stated, is to eliminate (or reduce) line twist. I use about a 3-4 foot section of XPS Flouro below the swivel.

Also you dont have to be in current to get twist....it happens whenever you reel a drop shot in. And the line twist is evident on a baitcaster, it just isnt as extreme.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts