Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last season I threw my suspending Rogue with a baitcast reel and 12lb line on a 6' 6" medium heavy G.Loomis rod with a fast tip. I have been doing some reading and I have heard some fisherman on throwing hard jerkbaits (Rogues, Husky Jerks, etc.) on medium light rods with a soft tip for more action to the lure. What type of rods and power are you guys using out there? Thanks.

·
Registered
371 Posts
I have 2 jerkbait rods. One is an allstar graphite 6'6" medum with a fast tip. This is for my standard jerkbaits, Husky jerks rogues etc. I just built another jerkbait rod out of the Allstar Topwater rod that will throw smaller jerkbaits. I prefer the faster tip and action for my jerkbait rods. I have also set these rods up as spinning rods not baitcasting.

Gregg

ps there was a great article on jerkbait fishing in InFisherman March 2004

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
I agree,...an All Star Ti843s or 844s in spinning (That's a 7ft Titanium rod = 84"...in a 3 or 4 power) is a great jerkbait rod!! IMHO!!

Mac

·
Registered
467 Posts
6'6" Medium Fast...I switch it up between spinning and casting depending on the mood I'm in...I've even used a 7' Medium Fast for the smaller husky jerks so I could get a little more distance out of it.

·
Registered
4,341 Posts
Great information everybody. I personally like my 7' medium action IM8 bionic blade spinning rod. It seems to reach out pretty well and seems well balanced with the reel I have on it filled with 8# mono.

I am thinking about switching to one of the super lines this spring with it, ie, 8# fireline.

Jim

·
Registered
117 Posts
Castaway SB66, 6-1/2 foot surface bait rod and the Castaway JT66, 6-1/2 foot jerk and twitch. I use the surface bait rod the most it is a medium action and works great. If I'm using a larger jerk bait or I really need to pop it the jerk and twitch is my choice, I also use the jerk and twitch for alot of topwaters.

·
Registered
739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Reelin Realitor,

Where might I find a Castaway rod or would I have to order it over the internet? I did some reading on it sounds pretty good, but I would like to handle one. Any idea on the price?

·
Registered
117 Posts
Cabela's has a few Castaways locally, I'm not sure they have a big supply. Northern Bass Supply is a mail order supplier that has a good pricing and inventory, they'll also order rods they don't stock. They've got a decent catalog they'll send if you call
1-800-227-7032.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts