Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am sure this question gets asked alot but I am planning a trip up ti LSC and with reading all of the posts about capsized boats and all I am trying to make sure my boat would be ok. I have a nitro 591 bass boat that is 18.6" would I be safe on most days out on the water? I guess another question would be should I get a vhf radio before i go out on the water?

·
Premium Member
18,804 Posts
Yes you CAN be safe. A VHF is a good idea, but remember that the hand helds dont have the range as a fixed mount with a good antenna.

Just watch the weather, the boat traffic and make sure you slow down....this lake will break any boat you try to run too fast.

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
QUOTE(david c @ Jun 29 2009, 10:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I am sure this question gets asked alot but I am planning a trip up ti LSC and with reading all of the posts about capsized boats and all I am trying to make sure my boat would be ok. I have a nitro 591 bass boat that is 18.6" would I be safe on most days out on the water? I guess another question would be should I get a vhf radio before i go out on the water?

You gotta have a VHF. Fixed mount is best, handheld a nice backup.

Your boat can be fine in the right weather but you have to watch it and pay attention. The wind yesterday was gusting to 30 knots and somebody capsizes an 18' Bayliner leaving 6 in the water. No real surprise there. Check the weather before and during your trip and don't hesitate not going out or coming off the water if the weather turns. Low pressure systems, frontal activity and thunderstorms need to be watched closely. Better to be sipping a cold one looking out at the waves than being out there wondering how you got yourself in to this mess.

·
12,052 Posts
QUOTE(david c @ Jun 29 2009, 10:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I am sure this question gets asked alot but I am planning a trip up ti LSC and with reading all of the posts about capsized boats and all I am trying to make sure my boat would be ok. I have a nitro 591 bass boat that is 18.6" would I be safe on most days out on the water? I guess another question would be should I get a vhf radio before i go out on the water?
that should be fine, just fish in the middle of the channels. maybe anchor to be safer. At the ramp be sure to powerload onto the trailer like the other fishermen.....

·
Registered
3,081 Posts
QUOTE(hammer @ Jun 30 2009, 11:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(david c @ Jun 29 2009, 10:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I am sure this question gets asked alot but I am planning a trip up ti LSC and with reading all of the posts about capsized boats and all I am trying to make sure my boat would be ok. I have a nitro 591 bass boat that is 18.6" would I be safe on most days out on the water? I guess another question would be should I get a vhf radio before i go out on the water?
that should be fine, just fish in the middle of the channels. maybe anchor to be safer. At the ramp be sure to powerload onto the trailer like the other fishermen.....

·
Registered
22,943 Posts
I agree that being careful and watching the weather are key. And yes, a fixed mount antenna has a lot greater range. Most areas have pretty good cell coverage too, so a cellphone could serve as another backup.

You might also want to double check your bilge pump (perhaps add a second). If you do take a wave over the gunwale, getting it out quickly is a very good thing.

While I realize there is an element of luck out there, I think most major tragedies begin with a lapse in judgment. Remembering to respect the dangers is a big step toward being around tomorrow.

·
Premium Member
18,804 Posts
QUOTE(Away Point @ Jul 1 2009, 08:21 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(david c @ Jun 29 2009, 10:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I am sure this question gets asked alot but I am planning a trip up ti LSC and with reading all of the posts about capsized boats and all I am trying to make sure my boat would be ok. I have a nitro 591 bass boat that is 18.6" would I be safe on most days out on the water? I guess another question would be should I get a vhf radio before i go out on the water?
I agree that being careful and watching the weather are key. And yes, a fixed mount antenna has a lot greater range. Most areas have pretty good cell coverage too, so a cellphone could serve as another backup.

You might also want to double check your bilge pump (perhaps add a second). If you do take a wave over the gunwale, getting it out quickly is a very good thing.

While I realize there is an element of luck out there, I think most major tragedies begin with a lapse in judgment. Remembering to respect the dangers is a big step toward being around tomorrow.

Agreed! Second bilge pump is a must especially if fishing anywhere near Hammertime!!!! Also ear plugs will help, not only for the horn but for the "SOCIAL!!!!"

Seriously, you will need an extra bilge pump, trolling motor tie downs (Either straps and/or a RAM mount), a drift sock or two will help on windy days. Make sure your batteries are secured well (and check often). Motor bolts will come loose too. Make sure you have tools to tighten them and check them daily.

Alos make sure you tell someone when you are going, where you are planning on fishing and when you plan on coming back. (float plan)

This is a BIG lake and it can give you some of the best fishing you have ever witnessed. It can also kill you quickly.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts