Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,916 Posts
That's a fish of many names. I know it at a grinnel. Some know it as a dogfish. Properly it's known as a bowfin.

They're cool fish. They're heavy eaters and can tolerate very warm, almost stagnant water. Some people think they're a trash fish and throw them on the bank to die, but they're good for the system, and should be treated as such. They're not a sport fish, but it doesn't make them garbage.

That's not a bad one!

·
Registered
10,622 Posts
Yes Bowfin. Pre-Historic fish goes way back in time. Nasty teeth in there hey iamfish?

Nice catch

h

·
Premium Member
16,460 Posts
They do put up a decent fight usually though

·
Registered
731 Posts
QUOTE(Woody95 @ Jun 9 2009, 02:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>they are great smoked!
just like sheephead and carp

I DO BELIEVE THAT IS THE BIGGEST ONE I'VE SEEN YET PEKS!!

GOOD ONE WOODY

·
Premium Member
3,916 Posts
Here's the only one of mine I got a pic of. Caught on the upper Mississippi in a back slough bass fishing when the water got too warm for pike. This guy hit a big bass fly and saved what would have otherwise been a fishless day.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,355 Posts
I thought that a dog fish is a different fish than a bowfin bowfins have a spot on its tail and a dog fish dont. like the first pic has a spot on its tail then the second pic dosent iv caught alot of dogfish without the spot but never caught one with a spot! ..... if im wrong just tell me to shut up!!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.