Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
9,469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
say, for instance, you were contracting out shrinkwrap services for someone whos old contractor wasnt performing and the company you were doing the work for aint paying?

but the work is alrady done and the balance you have is over $700.

now, they say "wee have to wait until we get the money from the owners before we pay you" when you know that these owners have paid!

the action was suggested that if your not gonna get paid for work you've done, remove the covers, as it will hurt THAT companies reputation... right?

but the response was "ill call the owners and tell them you intend to do this, and they can call the police for malicious destruction of property". but "if" they havent paid.... do they own the covers?

what would you do?
it was said that it would be illegal to remove the covers, but isnt illegal to hold money. supposedly the books will be looked over to see who paid, and then, only then, a check will be issued....

·
LSC Raft Moderator
1,472 Posts
Tough one. I guess it depends on if you want to work for them again. You can go to the boat owners and say pay me if you know who they are. This would cause trouble between them and the original contractor if they already paid. If I hired out to catch up I would pay the contractor as he finished the work. It would be my job to collect from the boat owner.

·
Registered
9,469 Posts
all ties are done

QUOTEI would pay the contractor as he finished the work.
thats a good way to to do it, but in the past 6 yrs, there hasnt been a problem collecting. 1st time, last time.
this is the 1st time dealing w/ this particular company BTW, no past realationship

but should there be a period of, say till friday, then take action, or take it now?

·
Registered
4,832 Posts
send them a invoice with work order # for each job . and put on it net 15 days.. after that a late fee will be added..of what ever the leagle most amount can be.
after that invoice them again in 15 days wait and if you still dont get paid small claims court or file a lein against them .
emerald city when i get mine for work done is net 7 days.
kinda crappy id say they really should have enough in acct to pay you.

·
Registered
9,469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
QUOTEkinda crappy id say they really should have enough in acct to pay you.

you would think!!!!

·
Registered
9,469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i just wanted to bring this up top for the peeps who get on here in the morning!!!!

thanks for any replys!!!

·
Registered
6,838 Posts
I would work thru the legal system. That $700 will be a drop in the bucket for legal fees if you do something that could get you arrested.

·
Registered
3,043 Posts
Bull$hit they can call the police. Maybe the police will come but if you have your documentation in order it is a very simple matter of explaining to them what is going on. They will let you go about your business and maybe notify the people who owe you. My guess is they'll be their with a certified check as soon as they realize they can't withhold the funds anymore!!

·
Registered
487 Posts
Legal system, do it right do it once. File a mechanics lien, it puts the company on notice and it gets in the paper. They'll take care of it fast unless they're going out of biz and then it at least puts you at the front of the line of collectors.

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
I agree about sending them invoices, and after the 15 days and the late fees, I would call them 2 or 3 times per day in a very professional manner, like accounts receivable, and ask for your money.

As for taking the stuff off the boats, I would check into that. I would guess if you weren't paid for the materials you cold confinscate them, but if the owners already paid, that could be tricky.... I would just annoy the crap out of them until they pay...in a professional manner of course..

·
Registered
487 Posts
QUOTE(MONEYSHOT @ Nov 18 2003, 10:47 AM)As for taking the stuff off the boats, I would check into that. I would guess if you weren't paid for the materials you cold confinscate them, but if the owners already paid, that could be tricky.... I would just annoy the crap out of them until they pay...in a professional manner of course..[/SIZE][/color][/font]
DO NOT REMOVE ANYTHING FROM THE BOAT.
You have a legal recourse with a mechanics lien. Don't give them or the boat owners a reason to legally file against you. If after sending invoices and calling them for payment, go to the courthouse and file a Mechanics lien.

·
Registered
9,469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
im gonna sit on it a few days. the balance has since gone up now since a portion of what had been paid bounced

·
Registered
9,469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
QUOTEi just wanted to bring this up top for the peeps who get on here in the morning!!!!

now what the hell is up w/ the bouncing checks????

and no, the check was put in long before any disagreements...

·
Registered
4,709 Posts
So what was the out come of this? Did you finally get paid, or just remove the wraps? Did yu settle the payment issue with whomever was stiffing you?

Just curious as to the out come as I clean out my tracking box.

Happy New Year to All.

·
Registered
9,469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
QUOTE(PyrateJim @ Jan 3 2004, 04:58 PM)So what was the out come of this? Did you finally get paid, or just remove the wraps? Did yu settle the payment issue with whomever was stiffing you?

Just curious as to the out come as I clean out my tracking box.

Happy New Year to All.
[snapback]183825[/snapback]​

JIm,
better late then never. i got the money in installments. it still wasnt easy though.
since this has happened, the company is out of business

1 - 15 of 15 Posts